Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Electric/Fuelie power requirement conversion question.

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Electric/Fuelie power requirement conversion question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 12:25 PM
lildiesel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electric/Fuelie power requirement conversion question.

How do electric motor ratings convert to fuelie? Are there any rules or is it just experience?

I was just wondering if a kit designed for a geared Speed 400 with a 46" span and 360 square inches at about a pound and a half would be way over powered by an .09 turning a 9/4 or 9/3 prop for lots of thrust and solid slower speed flight? The span/area/weight seem reasonable to me, but then I enjoy throttling back after climb out and puttering around.

Clearly I've been dinking around with .03s and .049s way too long.

Old 12-19-2006, 01:51 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Electric/Fuelie power requirement conversion question.

24oz/46" span sounds just right for the .074/.09/.10 class of glow engines... assuming you want casual sport flying and not unlimited 3D.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:25 PM
Strat2003
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Real electric guys will be able to tell you more, but here's my experience:

A 400 size outrunner will pull a 24 ounce 2M glider aloft more briskly than an .049. It will give a 16 ounce, 270 sq. in. sport model very brisk unlimited vertical. It will fly the plane faster than most .049s, too, with perfect throttle control.

All this depends on proper prop selection. An electric will turn a wide range of props at different speeds and wattages. It takes some fiddling to find the right one for the job....no more just bolting on a a 5 or 6X3 and flying!
Old 12-19-2006, 04:11 PM
lildiesel

Thanks for the input. I'll go ahead and recommend the SR Cutie to my friend and then let him him decide whether he wants to go electric or fuelie. He's got enough stick time on my half-sized Quaker Flash to put his first kit on the bench and have fun in the Spring.