Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Dumas Evolution 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 11:25 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dumas Evolution 2

Many of us know of ( or even had) a Dumas Evolution. Or possibly the Hi-Lo Evolution (this is the one I had) I think I was blessed with mine and had better wood because mine flew fine. Not great, but ok. As a Sailplane it was simply a lond glide down. I doubt it could ride a thermal. Many have expressed what a sad flyer they were.

Which brings me to the Evolution 2. This was a 1/2 A version. Has anyone here had one? Know of someone who did?

I don't think it was around long. Could be that the Evolution put a bad taste in so many mouths. Could be it was a mediocre or worse flyer than its big brothers. Does anyone have a picture of this thing?

Robert
Old 01-02-2007, 05:27 AM
bsindel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dumas Evolution 2

Funny you should mention the evolution 2. I taught myself to fly RC with one.
If I recall it had a 54 in polyhedral wing with dihedral built in. Mine would thermal
until my neck got sore which is interesting because I buillt it with R/E/T using
full size Futaba servos and receiver. I had a throttled TD051 for power which
gave me a good climb out and when idling would keep me airborne for a long time
and then let me do power on landings or touch and go's. I ran more a gallon of fuel
through it one summer and had to replace the piston and liner once cause I let the
piston get to loose and the con rod began showing through the top of the piston. Wish
I could get another one or at least the plans for one.

Bill S.(the other Bill)
Old 01-02-2007, 05:56 PM
build light

I have been leaning towards trying one myself. Icould do with just the plans if I could find them but I think I would rather have the kit. I could be kicking myself for doing that because the wood Dumas usually put in their kits was only good for building their boats!

Robert
Old 01-03-2007, 02:21 AM
injunnut1

RCM 'Evolution' Plan # 431 from the June 1970 issue ..... this plan is available from the RCM online plan service, I would reckon anyhow? It is a 74 inch span model and calls for .10 to .15 size engines. Also I believe that 'Lanier' has, or very recently had, a very similar 1/2A Trainer type all balsa kit design with a rather large-ish wing and designed around the 'Sure Start' type Cox engines ...... seems like I saw it on a $$rock-bottom$$ SALE recently at the MECOA website? ( try www.mecoa.com ) ...... cannnot summon up this 'Lanier' model's name at the moment?

I could not find the Lanier 'Indicator' at the MECOA website, so NO Sale anymore I guess ..... but here it is at the Tower Hobbies Website, click on the following link:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXX406&P=7
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77291.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	589485  
Old 01-03-2007, 07:12 PM
build light

Thanks, injunnut1. I went to mecoa amd saw on the front page Lanier planes as low as $28.99( limited time or supply) but when I clicked the link I did not see it either. A good price for sure, they must be out of those now as you say.

I saw the Evolution ( first incarnation i believe) listed in the RCM Illustrated Guide. It was apparantly published by RCM sometime back.
Makes me wonder if the 1/2A version may also have been published as well.

Since Dumas is still in buisness I have Emailed them regarding the plan for it just yesterday and as yet have heard nothing. We will wait and see.

Does anyone else remember the 1/2A version of this plane being published in one of the model mags?

Robert
Old 01-04-2007, 05:50 PM
build light

Here is my reply from Dumas Models:

I am sorry, Dumas sold that line to Spivey Engineering in Alabama years ago.
We do not have anything available for those kits.

Thank you,
Customer Service,
Dumas Products, Inc.

Ouch! Somehow I knew that I would hear something like this. Oh! Well!

Does anyone here know of this Spivey Engineering?

I did an internet search and came up with a Spivey Engineering Solutions LLC and they do not appear to have anything to do with model airplanes.
Still I emailed them to ask. Ya never know. The worse that could happen is the word NO!

Robert
Old 01-08-2007, 03:50 PM
Half-A-Hec

Check the RCM plans binder I loaned ya. I bet its in there. All ya have to do is take it to Kinko's and blow it up. The text may be a little fuzzy but should be clear enough to build with. Just a thought. Have ya gone flying lately? I hope you had a good Christmas and Happy New Year!

Old 01-08-2007, 06:15 PM
build light

Hec! Good ta see ya again buddy! I hope you and yours had a great Christmas and New Year as well! Thanks for thinking of me.
I can hardly wait for you to get back over thisaway!

I have been ok and I have not seen the Evolution 2 in it. Just the original Evolution.

Still waiting to hear back from Spivey Engineering.

Robert
Old 01-08-2007, 07:08 PM
Schu
My Feedback: (5)

I think Bubba Spivey is the owner of Lanier- could be just one of his LLC's and I think they are out of Alabama as well?
Old 01-09-2007, 06:52 PM
build light

Lanier Who I just discovered now owns Goldberg Products ( who used to produce the popular Ranger 42) is in Georgia.
Would this be the same Spivey as was reffered to me by Dumas Products? The Spivey Engineering they said they sold it to was in Alabama. So was Bubba Spivey located in Alabama, then moved to Ga.? I feel like I am chasing rabbits here.

Robert