Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

COX hyper viper

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 07:16 PM
JasonFalls

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default COX hyper viper

Hey all
I was wondering if these planes fly good and are they durable? It's a nice looking plane for $40 so I think I might order one if they can actually fly. I know it says its not a good plane for beginners but they dont have PT-19 listed anymore, and i dont want to spend $90 for one on ebay
Old 01-23-2007, 08:04 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: COX hyper viper

I have seen video of this plane flying and it does very well. There are however some tune up tips for making it fly a little better once you are really up to it.

I would have to say you will not find a better flying C/L plane complete with motor that you can buy new. Cannot say as to the durability but many of the plastic replacement parts are available from Cox. The wing however I have not seen lately from them or anyone else.

Remember... This is not a beginners plane by any means and probably would not give you much satisfaction before you destroy it. Therefore 40 bucks for the motor to use in something else would just be senseless.

It would make a good plane to have a ball with when you become a decent flyer and are completely comfortable with other C/L planes.

Now! Here is the PT-19 for much less than 90 bucks:
http://www.acsupplyco.com/aerospace/...lline/pt19.htm

Robert
Old 01-23-2007, 08:17 PM
JasonFalls

Can those PT-19's survive crashes? Since I'm just starting control line I want something that will survive the first time out
Old 01-23-2007, 09:12 PM
on pipe

Those things ARE pretty bulletproof. The wing, landing gear, and I think even the tail are held on by rubber bands. A buddy and I used to fly one when we were kids in the early 70's. We both happened to live in Tucson in the late 80's and happened to see one in a store one day. Russell smiled at me and I nodded... We flew the crap out of it, two grown men giggling like little school girls, playing with a toy plane. It laid around in the box until my wife finally made me throw it out a few years ago. I might have to spring for another one for fifty bucks! Ross
Old 01-24-2007, 07:39 AM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Go to www.brodak.com and read, go to www.virginiahobbysport.com and buy. Buy a SIG 1/2A Skyray and template it so you can make a bunch of them for 20 bucks and learn to fly that. The PT-19 will fly around in a circle and many of us had our first flights on them, but buy the 1/2A Skyray and either buy one of the 7 collar engines and work a hard tank around it, or buy a 35 dollar baby bee from Virginia or buy a Brodak .049 engine, work a beam mount onto the Skyray and fly the snot out of the skyray. It will fly around in circles, it will also fly inverted, loops, and much other things that will get you through the primary crash it up stage. Then if you want to keep in the 1/2A cl circle there are tons of planes in that genre to work with and they all fly better than those Cox units.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:30 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Clean

Go to www.brodak.com and read, go to www.virginiahobbysport.com and buy. Buy a SIG 1/2A Skyray and template it so you can make a bunch of them for 20 bucks and learn to fly that. The PT-19 will fly around in a circle and many of us had our first flights on them, but buy the 1/2A Skyray and either buy one of the 7 collar engines and work a hard tank around it, or buy a 35 dollar baby bee from Virginia or buy a Brodak .049 engine, work a beam mount onto the Skyray and fly the snot out of the skyray. It will fly around in circles, it will also fly inverted, loops, and much other things that will get you through the primary crash it up stage. Then if you want to keep in the 1/2A cl circle there are tons of planes in that genre to work with and they all fly better than those Cox units.
So true. While the PT-19 is a classic as far as palstic 1/2A ukies that actually fly to some degree, as opposed to the many that don't fly worth a pinch of coon ----, it is still a bit of a dog. Tough, yes I'll give it that. So is a L'il Wizard, or a Skyray, or others of that ilk. Anyone with a bit of building experience and a bit of spare balsa can knock out a decent 1/2A all sheet model in about 1-1/2 hours of building (sans finishing). Naturally a couple of bits and pieces will be needed over and above the usual stuff RC'ers have lying around, such as a 1/2A bellcrank, but nothing a quick trip to the LHS shouldn't solve. Understandably without prior experience with them, the design might be a question mark for most, but it just doesn't get much simpler. The suggestion to buy a proven kit then make knockoffs is a good one. Built reasonably lightly but sturdily, they survive more abuse than some might imagine.

I couldn't count the number of 1/2A sheet models I've built, a coule of buddies of mine and I used to get together regularly and fly combat with them. Talk about simple, cheap FUN. When they break, you laugh, then fix it, bring out a spare, or make another one when you get home. Can't recall too many things I've done modelling wise that rival that for entertainment without stress.

MJD
Old 01-24-2007, 11:13 PM
build light

Jason, I have found a Cox PT-19 complete and unflown for $25.00 shipped. The only thing missing is the motor.

Let me know if you are interested. Here is a picture of it.
The landing gear is beside the plane on the right wing panel. Oh, I do not see the rubberbands to hold the wing on. I am guessing rubberbands would not be a problem for you?

Robert
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31439.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	606040  
Old 01-24-2007, 11:25 PM
JasonFalls

thanks build light, but I already ordered one. Thanks for the offer
Old 01-24-2007, 11:38 PM
build light

No problem Jason, By the way just call me Robert. That goes for anyone!

Jason I saw this and imediatly thought of you. The only thing I do not know about this plane at present is which motor fits it. I have sent a pm to find out.

So if anyone else is interested. I will be happy to hook you up. I wanted to give Jason first shot!

Robert
Old 01-25-2007, 12:14 AM
JasonFalls

The only thing I do not know about this plane at present is which motor fits it.
i'm pretty sure that they have a surestart in the newer ones.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:56 AM
build light

Agreed Jason but I don't think this is a newer one. Like paying 40 bucks for a Hyper Viper so you can just get the motor? I doubt that is what happened with this model. I was hoping it took the SS but I have a feeling it is older and not for the SS.

As yet I have not heard back as to which motor this one had...Robert
Old 01-25-2007, 02:01 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Robert,

The Engines used before the Sure Start was the same engine without the choke tube assembly and with a shorter needle valve. The original ones had the early Babe Bee until they came up with product engines.

There have been other "Product Engines". Here's a pic of some:

George
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44242.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	606293   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64629.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	606294   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rx60200.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	606295   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk22300.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	606296   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fq90315.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	606297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ev23416.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	606298   Click image for larger version

Name:	Km97118.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	606299  
Old 01-25-2007, 08:19 PM
build light

Indeed. The reason I wanted to help Jason to be able to get into the air within a reasonable price range. It is an older model and if it came with a Babe Bee then it might be such a good deal for him to get a "drop in" replacement motor.

I now have the answer. It came with the gray colored production motor that preceded the Sure Start, so it does not have the choke tube. A Sure Start could easily be installed in this one making it a good deal for someone.

Robert
Old 03-24-2007, 09:49 PM
pontiak

built light. any chance you still have the cox pt-19 for sale?
Old 03-24-2007, 11:33 PM
build light

It is still available, though it is not mine. Let me know and I will fill you in on how to get it.

Robert
Old 03-24-2007, 11:42 PM
pontiak

If they still have it I'll take it. Mike.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:15 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: JasonFalls

Hey all
I was wondering if these planes fly good and are they durable? It's a nice looking plane for $40 so I think I might order one if they can actually fly. I know it says its not a good plane for beginners but they dont have PT-19 listed anymore, and i dont want to spend $90 for one on ebay
My son and I flew his this weekend. It flies okay.. the first thing I need to do is put .008 steel lines on it, and mess with props. It comes stock with dacron lines (yuck) and a 5-3, although the instructions suggest switching to a 5.7-3 APC, 5.5-4 MAS or a Tornado something or other for better stunt performance. I will say I think it is marginal powerwise with the SureStart, but we'll see when I switch props and get some 25-30% into it, running Cox regular fuel at the moment. Now a TD retrofit might be the ticket, but a TD deserves a better airplane..

We got a bit of a surprise on flight two - I was flying with his hand on the handle, and the down line broke off at the bellcrank.. uh oh. Three tight stally loops, then it started heading away from me (instead of piling in at the center of the circle thankfully) and as the line became taught I gave it a yank and spun the airplane into the ground. No damage, just tweaked the landing gear. My son also had a couple of brushes with the ground that resulted in no damage. I would say it is reasonably sturdy. If the wings were availalbe for 6.99 I;d buy 2-3 for quicky CL jobs.

I am whipping up a sheet balsa trainer for him for next weekend.. this guy is too floaty for a beginner even with the sensitivity dialed down. I'd rather see twice the line pull, a higher wing loading and less sensitvity.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:00 AM
jcervantes11
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do u still have that pt-19?
Old 05-31-2007, 06:42 AM
build light

Jim, it wasn't mine, it belonged to another gentleman and back in march he still had it. pontiak inquired about it then and I contacted the gentleman and hooked these two up but I never heard the outcome and the original ad with the post offering it for sale is now gone... Sorry.

Robert