Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Mustang pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 06:44 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Mustang pics

They say a fine wine needs to age to mellow and mature. I sure hope that applies to models too. This one has been sitting in storage as you see it for more than 14 years. I take it out to finish it but other things intrude and it goes back into the rafters for another couple of years....

Perhaps THIS time. You folks here are helping me get enthused about the little'uns all over again.

I've got an F18 that's not quite as far along. Unfortunetley it got damgaged somehow while up there. Not that there's any lack of things to roll over onto it or get poked into it so I guess it's just fate. I'll fix it up a touch and take some shots of it as well a bit later.

For now I give you my Mustang. No prize for figuring out which Reno Racer the final color scheme will be based on.... There's also a cowl and a lovely polished aluminium Perfect spinner for the nose. Power will be a Tee Dee running on bladder pressure. That's what the little black hole on the first shot is for. There's two Kodak film canisters that are heat welded together for the bladder holder in there.

Or I may convert it to electric for a Speed 400 and 7 cells. I'm not sure yet. Gotta do the weight math. I suspect that this is too far along so it'll probably get the Cox. Weight as you see it here and with the cowl and spinner is 6 1/2 oz. With gear and all it added up to 16 oz. It'll be a rocket under power and a floater in the glide. It's based on Rich Uravitch's 20 powered P51 Reno Racer that came out in Model Airplane News many, many years ago....

Old 02-04-2003, 07:04 AM
goldguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mustang pics

Bruce:

Bring your small stuff to the Mission SMALL Fly on July 19 and 20.
Old 02-04-2003, 10:39 PM
buckeyes1997
My Feedback: (4)

Default good job

that looks really good. is it balsa or fiberglass? at 16oz it would be sweet with speed 400 as well so long as you have at least 180sq" wing area.

keep us updated.
Old 02-05-2003, 05:33 AM
BMatthews

Default Mustang pics

Thanks guys. The fuse is all balsa that's carved, filled and sanded down to a "T". I really got carried away on the belly ski... er.... scoop. I think I'd better glass it good or it'll become more compact with each landing. NO PAVEMENT FOR ME....

My one big regret is that I got carried away rounding the corners of the tips of the stabilizer. I may need to do something there.

Hey Frank. Is there any other details on that flyin? What field? A name? URL? Email?
Old 02-05-2003, 06:55 AM
LoneRanger
My Feedback: (1)

Default Mustang pics

I dont seee any pics but I'd like to.....

L.R.
Old 02-05-2003, 07:25 AM
BMatthews

Default Mustang pics

Don't know why you can't see them LR. They are linked to my gallery right here on good ol' RCU...

Perhaps try clicking my "gallery" button at the bottom of this post and if you still don't see anything then there must be something missing on your 'puter. The others can see them I gather.

Should be three pics in the first post. If you "quote" the first post you'll see the URL's and should be able to cut n' paste them into your address line directly. If that doesn't do it I don't know what else to do.
Old 02-05-2003, 07:56 AM
LoneRanger
My Feedback: (1)

Default Mustang pics

Mr Matthews, where are you from we share the same last name! is that your last name? LOL

I can see the pics now, looks cool- very glider like-! take it up 3-400 feet and float around for a while- If you can see it that high!

cheers- notice I figgured out how to post pics on my Bonanza thread !

L.R.
Old 02-06-2003, 05:11 AM
goldguy

Default Mustang pics

Bruce:

Andrew posted Mission SMALL event info on another thread for all to see.
Old 04-13-2003, 08:12 AM
Grampaw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mustang pics

How do you guys get those pics so large on these posts? Once or twice I would have liked to have added a pic or art to illustrate a point or a hint for someone asking for help or advice, but I always get a "note" telling me it is too big to use. Did I miss something somewhere? Almost forgot...You did a fine job on that Mustang Mr. Matthews! Good Flying!
Old 04-13-2003, 08:21 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Mustang pics

In order to post an large picture you must link to a picture on a website somewhere else. Use the IMG button and put in the address of the picture and it will display like this.

You are probably trying to attach a picture which is too large. If you attach a picture it must be as follows:
Maximum file size: 70000 bytes
Max width 700 pixels X Max Height 700 pixels

It will display like this.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	70310_18289.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	32498