Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

foam wings

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 10:44 AM
whiteknightman23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default foam wings

hi, i need some input on foam wings, i bought a plane and instead of sheeting it i used model master enamel stain on the wood, and on the main foam wing. it looked nice enough but it was still sort of ruff so i bought a spray can of clear coat and the wood all turned out nice but the thin thar i put on the foam wing looked like it eat up the foam, and i was wondering if anyone knew if something i could use to cover the wing so it will be smooth without sanding it down first. that way i'm not decreasing the wings strangth. it's my first plane and i'm just new to this whole thing. and if anyone has any input please e-mail me at [email protected] and note that in the third pic on the far left there is a smooth section, that is where i didn't spray on the clear coat. the wing was on the plane when i sprayed., if you would like more pics just e-mail me.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He96980.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	615709   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91162.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	615710   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ag91167.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	615711  
Old 02-07-2007, 11:16 AM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: foam wings

At this point I would hit it with sandpaper to knock down the high spots (like, 20 seconds of sanding)
Then I would "skim coat" the whole thing with some thinned latex wood putty. Let it dry thoroughly, then
sand again. Then put a strip of glass filament tape on it top and bottom, tip to tip. Seal it overall with a coat
of water based poly, then Krylon and perhaps a coat of clear Lusterkote. Keep every layer as thin as possible
to do the job. Anyway, that's what I would do.
Dave
Old 02-07-2007, 11:50 AM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: whiteknightman23

hi, i need some input on foam wings, i bought a plane and instead of sheeting it i used model master enamel stain on the wood, and on the main foam wing. it looked nice enough but it was still sort of ruff so i bought a spray can of clear coat and the wood all turned out nice but the thin thar i put on the foam wing looked like it eat up the foam, and i was wondering if anyone knew if something i could use to cover the wing so it will be smooth without sanding it down first. that way i'm not decreasing the wings strangth. it's my first plane and i'm just new to this whole thing. and if anyone has any input please e-mail me at [email protected] and note that in the third pic on the far left there is a smooth section, that is where i didn't spray on the clear coat. the wing was on the plane when i sprayed., if you would like more pics just e-mail me.
Does the design of the aircraft call for sheeting? Sheeting provides a massive increase in strength.. what is this model? Is it glow, electric, what? If it calls for sheeting and you didn't sheet it, you could have "some problems".
Old 02-07-2007, 05:07 PM
propbuster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uh, That looks pretty bad! I'd cut a new wing if it were me. What Model plane is it? If it's using an Ace RC foam wing I could cut you a new one, if I can find my old templates.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:49 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Many paints will eat foam. You might consider making a swipe with sandpaper to knock the high spots off and covering it with a low heat covering like econokote.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:45 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You could do a leading edge and cap strips with 1/32 balsa and then cover it, like in the attached photos. You'll need to sand the wing where you want the glue the balsa down. Any solvent based glue or paint will dissolve foam.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32138.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	615964   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82413.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	615965  
Old 02-07-2007, 08:25 PM
propbuster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bipe, Great idea! Lighter than sheeting the whole wing, and it has the look of a conventional built up wing!! I like it As those guys from the Guiness commercials say "Brilliant"[8D]

Edit due to sleeping most of the time in spelling class
Old 02-08-2007, 11:45 AM
whiteknightman23

theres some good ideas from all of you, and thanx for your help. besides i think the guys at the hobby shop are getting tired of me going there asking tons of questions since i'm new at this. all be sure to post a pic when the whole thing is done.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:30 PM
microsprint9

If i have to paint a foam wing i always use two coats of minwax polycryl first and then paint won't attack the foam.