Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Herr Cherokee weight 26 oz.

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Herr Cherokee weight 26 oz.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 09:58 AM
Cajuncharley
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Herr Cherokee weight 26 oz.

I finally finished my first 1/2 A kit in years, a Herr Cherokee. It has 4 HS-81 servos and ailerons, and finished weight is 26 ounces. The wing loading is 13 oz. per sq. foot. It has a Norvel .074 engine. What kind of performance can I expect? I've been into much larger models the last 10 or so years so I don't know what to expect. Will it be a lead sled, or will it handle easily? The weather prediction for the next week or so is terrible so I will just have to wait it out before I find out.
Old 02-08-2003, 11:21 AM
wild fred
My Feedback: (3)

it sounds a little heavy at 26 oz., not dramatically but the key to 1/2 a performance is lightness. But it should fly just fine at that weight with the 074; it is a powerful engine. the herr kits fly great, and the cherokee has plenty of wing so it won't fly like it's heavy or anything; I just like to keep mine under 22 oz. I do fly some 1/2 a designs w/ 15's stuffed in, they are around 24-26 oz. range with less wing area than the cherokee, and they dead stick well so you should be fine.
you will probably enjoy the small stuff as it is so much more convenient to fly after work and stuff without lugging a big plane around. Have fun, wild fred.
Old 02-09-2003, 05:54 AM
goldguy

At 13 ounces per sq. ft. wing loading it will fly great. I have one and it does. Good luck with the weather and the model.