Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

A few questions about 1/12 HOB P-51

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

A few questions about 1/12 HOB P-51

Old 02-21-2007, 08:54 PM
Cobra289

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few questions about 1/12 HOB P-51

Hello, Im Josh, Im 16, I live in Duncan, Oklahoma. I have been Very enterested in getting into the Model R/C aircraft thing for awhile now, I havnt had the funds or the guts to really try my luck at building one of these. I have Been into the R/C car thing for a few years was looking forward to trying something different. I ordered the HOB P-51 .074.. Should be here in the next few days. It is my first model. I know i probley should have gone with something alittle more RTF. I just couldnt resist the HOB P-51.. I hear it is a good flying aircraft if built right. I do plan on it being setup with landing gear...2 1/2 Great planes Rubber outer foam core wheels...
I was giving some old RC stuff by a freind. Along with this stuff was 2 O.S. Max-10FSR. 1 Brand New. was still in original box... box missing top though. The other have probley 50 hours or more on it. Still seems to make awesome compresion. I was impressed with the amount of compression these little things make compared to my .28 ofna that i run in my trucks... Any way. the Max-10FSR is 1.76cc I think....if im right that is like a .10.....I figured i would use one of these for this mustang. Im alittle confused. I have been reading around alot the last few day for all the info i can get about this aircraft..i know thier is alot on this site too but i wasnt sure about what i was reading and wanted to ask my self. Would this engine Major over power for this plane? Prop i plan to run is a MK super-power 7x4. I wasnt sure about the servos it would require eather. I have countless numbers of standerd size servos ranging from some like 34oz/in to well over 200oz/in. Would the extra power of this engine over come some of the extra weight of the standard servo?..
Is the engine even a Power House at all? I haver never heard them run. before.

Engine with spinner has around 50 hours.... Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41255.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	626895   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66310.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	626896  
Old 02-21-2007, 09:50 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: A few questions about 1/12 HOB P-51

Cobra289,

Welcome to RCU and RC aircraft. Now for the good news and bad new.....

Good news - the OS .10 FSR will be a great engine for the P-51. It'll fly it quite nicely - not nearly as fast a .15 would, but it'll also be a bit lighter.

Now for the bad news - you may want pack this plane up and let is sit for a while. It's not a trainer and will have alive span measured in seconds if you tried to fly it your self with no experience. May people succumb to the allure of a fighter and don't know that it will fly like one. In WWII you learned on a PT-19, then an AT-6 and finally a P-51 after you had plenty of training and flight time. Same thing with models, you need to learn on a trainer first, then progress to a more advanced trainer before you fly a fighter (although the Hanger 9 P-51 PTS makes a great second plane, but thats the exception to the rule). The HOB P-51 will make a good 3rd (maybe, depending on you skill level) or 4th plane. It's fast, maneuvers quickly and will get you into trouble before you know it if you don't keep a head of it. When you have the experience to fly it you'll find it a fun, smooth flying plane.

You may want to lurk in the Beginners forum and read some of the threads on trainers and what others are going through with their flight training. You also need to locate a local club and see what flight training they have available. RCKen has developed a sticky at the top of the beginner forum that lists a lot of trainers - most are .40 - .46 size.

Hogflyer
Old 02-21-2007, 10:07 PM
burtcs

Cobra:

You'll like the OS 10 (except the weigth in this case) a lot of these planes get over powered. Now...

Run right out and get a trainer so you can learned to fly.

HTH - Steve B.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:17 PM
Mr67Stang

HogFlyer is 100% correct. The mustang is what most people want to fly first and those that do get soarly disapointed for the most part. Since you are using small plane gear I thought I would offer you some alternatives to get you started. You should be able to use these engines in any of these planes.

I am currently building this kit... and it can be built 4 channel
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXZS57&P=ML

ARF
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFWM0&P=7
Kit
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVY37&P=0

Kit
http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...FV4.html?E+Sig

Of course there are more but this should get you started.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:18 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

You know, before you buy anything else I strongly recommend you find a club and hang out for a couple of weekends. Ask tons of questions and take notes on what other beginners are using. Even for full scale pilots there is a pretty long learning curve to get to the point where you'll be able to successfully fly a small P-51 like the HOB. But, I have to tell you that before I even soloed my first trainer I had ordered a Dynaflite P-51 kit. However, I worked my way up through two other planes before I flew it. Otherwise I definitely would have crashed it. I think you're really lucky to have those engines. They are nice.

David
Old 02-21-2007, 10:49 PM
Cobra289

The freind that gave me this box of old R/C stuff Flew model aircraft for 20 years. He still have over 60 aircraft in hes garage. He has offerd to help me learn to fly. Not that it makes much of a different but i have been messin with the realflight G3 Simulator since early last year....Their is a club here in down....Chisulm Trail Flying squadren. Im not sure they allow newcomers...they are part of AMA. Im glad i have these old engines..its kinda like an old peice of R/C history....the one that is still brand new is going into a sealed box with all the decals and booklets it came with..
BTW thanks Mr,Stang. for the list. and thanks for the welcome I dont think i will put that mustang up so soon.....I have flown before. I really want to build this even if i dont fly it right off,
Old 02-22-2007, 08:16 PM
Cobra289

The mustang came in the mail today, not sure if this is what i will fly. I will build.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:21 PM
Sneasle

I built this plane recently, and like you it was basically my first build. It was a handful. This is not a hard kit, but if you have no building experience it will be a bit of a challenge. This plane has some issues with engine placement, tank height to carb height, pushrod location, servo placement, and a few other things that are relatively simple after you know what to expect.

If you are up for the challenge, more power to you, but just so you know how it can turn out, mine is hanging on the wall right now because of fuel draw issues.

Also, standard servo's are a no go.

You want HS-81's and maybe an hs-55 or smaller for the throttle. I used something smaller and it was a handful to not only get it to fit, but to hook it up because it was so small (3 gram servo). You could probably use hs-56's on some surfaces, but 81's are what I would recommend. You also want a small receiver. I recommend the berg microstamps.

Leaving the gear on is a good idea, but you might want to bend the mains forward some so they are well in front of the leading edge of the wing. Mine had ground handling issues until I bent my gear.

As I have already said, be careful with fuel tank placement. When you are working on a small scale with inverted engines it becomes very critical. Mine almost didn't survive the first flight because the engine flooded from the tank being too high in relation to the carb. It hydro locked about 20 feet in the air during take off. I was lucky that it was being flown by a great flyer (maiden flight) who was able to turn it around and get it relatively back to the runway. It landed in a small bush, no damage. We had tested it on the stand and it had shown signs of flooding, but we had put 2 tanks through it making adjustments and thought we had fixed the problem.

Then again, if you wanna go electric, this plane would be great!
Old 02-22-2007, 10:37 PM
Cobra289

I made the Desision to not even Deal with electric when i starting racing Nitro Truggies.....Ill never go back...right this is my first build...Engines are not a problem for me. I dyno test every engine i put in something. i will be flying it at our local feild the instructor will set it up for pre flight. I talked him about this not being a good choice he said almost exactly what you guys are saying but my flying skills will be much better if i learn with this plane beside an instructor, then learning with a trainer.
I had a feeling this was a bad idea. I would just like alittle help on some of the placements. and setup tips. from their im fine. im not trying to sound like an @$$. Thanks for the help=-}
Old 02-22-2007, 10:45 PM
Cobra289

I have a futaba R168DF.....This is all i have the money for right now. its alittle on the large size but weighs next to nothing. currently in my Tamiya F-350 Highlift. (next project is converting that to O.S .15 CVRX....that another story...im lost here, really i am.

Name:	Fc90098.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	627766  
Old 02-23-2007, 10:50 PM
Cobra289

Ok i have started the build. I have got most of the fuse built but i seem to have ran into a snag. Is it ok to go and ahead and run the plane with the extra 3/4 sticking out...just asking to make sure i dont screw this one up....Thanx

Name:	Lj22714.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	628443  
Old 02-24-2007, 03:52 PM
Cobra289

Hello, would their be anything i really need to watch out for on this build?.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:58 PM
formerlyknownasAWB

It just isn't going to have that tight look at the nose of the plane like the mustang does. might make it a little more nose heavy, which will happen when you move the motor forward.

keep at it
Old 02-24-2007, 03:59 PM
formerlyknownasAWB

is that motor in upside down?
Old 02-24-2007, 04:49 PM
Cobra289

ok, so i shouldnt try and move it back like it should be?.... The fuse is upside down thats why the motor looks like its flip-flop.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:54 PM
formerlyknownasAWB

ORIGINAL: Cobra289

ok, so i shouldnt try and move it back like it should be?.... The fuse is upside down thats why the motor looks like its flip-flop.
Correct, the fuse is upside down the way it is currently sitting, so the way the motor is set in it is upside down/inverted.

If you haven't glued the firewall in I would say move it back, though if you decide to do this will probably(not probably YOU WILL) have to cut a new firewall.

good luck
Old 02-24-2007, 04:56 PM
Cobra289

Well, if it will be ok I probably would leave it like it is. Unless it will greatly disrupt the flight charictoristics.
\
Old 02-24-2007, 08:23 PM
Sneasle

The engine is supposed to be mounted inverted in a HOB p-51. Most of the 1/12 scale kits have them inverted actually.

NO, your engine should not be that far forward. The shoudl be a separate instruction sheet that tells you what modification to make when you use a .10 or .15. You need to read through that several times. I got my kit second hand and it didn't have that sheet which made my build a bit harder.

You need to move the firewall back 3/4", cut the fuse doublers down a bit on the front so the firewall fits farther back, and make sure that the thrust line on your motor lines up with the lines of the plane and where the ply nose washer that comes with the kit goes.

If you have already glued the sides together and epoxied the firewall in, your in for a whole mess of pain because your going to have to cut it apart. It will be so nose heavy otherwise that you have to add so much lead to the tail that it won't be worth flying.

Asi said, this is not a good first kit to build if you have no experience building planes.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:29 PM
Cobra289

Not being a good plane for first timers. Ill get it flying. Being harder to build just means ill have more fun. thansk for the input
Old 02-24-2007, 10:18 PM
Sneasle

you might really want to consider redoing the front. Having the engine so far forward will make you very very nose heavy. Just keep that in mind.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:33 PM
Cobra289

Yea, I am redoing the front as i type this.......(actually taking a short break been at it for 6 hours now=-P.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:11 PM
Cobra289

Uh oh! I made my first huge mistake.... almost got the wing finished and noticed the mounting block for the main gear is to far back. Looks like its in the spot for Tri-Cycle gear. Anyway to get around this?.....The mounting block is supos to be in the slots farther foward under the 1/16 coving...Please help.

Name:	Sq47067.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	629574  
Old 02-25-2007, 04:00 PM
Cobra289

I could use some piano wire and lenghen the gear so i can put it where it is spose to be?
Old 02-25-2007, 04:08 PM
formerlyknownasAWB

Read the directions a few more times. I find it helps when I read them, read'em again, ask a few questions, read'em once more then dry fit everything and then reference it with the plans. If it doesn't seem right ask some more questions.

do you have a Dremel?
Old 02-25-2007, 04:15 PM
Cobra289

yes. i have a dremel. {inherited it from my father when he passed on in december.}

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.