Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

HOB spacewalker

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 06:38 PM
Mi Nan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOB spacewalker

I finnished building a spacewalker a few weeks ago, and I've been dieing to fly it since then. Yesterday I took it out to fly it. It has a Novel .074 engine on it. It took off fairly quick, but it was very squirrelly in the air and I shut down the engine and got it on the ground in one piece. The instructions call for 3/8th inch elevator travel in both directions, this appears to be to much. Would a 1/4 inch be enough travel? Does anyone have any experience with this model? I had an APC 7x3 prop on it that got broken yesterday. Will a Master Airscrew 7x4 work on this engine or is it to much? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks Mike
Old 02-10-2003, 08:45 PM
LoneRanger
My Feedback: (1)

Default HOB spacewalker

7x4 will be fine

sounds more like a balance problem to me

try moving some more weight foreward- if that dont work then lessen the elevator throw.

L.R.
Old 02-10-2003, 11:34 PM
wild fred
My Feedback: (3)

Default HOB spacewalker

I agree, check balance; it sounds tail heavy. I test flew a freind's when the kit first came out, it had a norvel 074 on it, and was built HEAVY. but it flew smoothly, albeit a slow climb and had to watch speed.
Old 02-11-2003, 01:04 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Default HOB spacewalker

I agree, check the balance. I have a 1/4 scale Spacewalker and it's not quick on any of the controls.
Old 05-13-2003, 12:29 PM
Dr. Wine
My Feedback: (2)

Default HOB spacewalker

Mike,

Some time has past since you posted this thread. Have you figured out what the problem is with the Spacewalker? I just flew mine a few weeks ago for the first time. It has a PAW .09 diesel. It took off quick and at first is was squirrelly. I left the throws as per the instructions but added approx. -35% on my radio expedientials. This made all the difference. This plane flies faster than one might think, therefore with the light loading and speed it would be squirrelly.

My wing loading, including Barbie in the cockpit, is 13.5 oz. It balanced perfectly. The PAW engine is heavy compared to the Norvel. In other words, you might be a little tail heavy.

I love the way this plane flies and lands. The other day I flew it in a steady 15 knot wind with gusts up to 25. Everyone at the field was very impressed with the characteristics, even the diesel engine. The only problem I had was after it landed the wind would blow it around quite a bit. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	78163_10624.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	33726  
Old 05-21-2003, 07:42 PM
pimpedaccord
My Feedback: (21)

Default HOB spacewalker

I got one of these a while ago and plan to put a norvel 074 along with 4 cheapy 18gram servo's off ebay.

My question is should I go with a 2 or 3 oz fuel tank?
Old 05-21-2003, 08:16 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Default HOB spacewalker

Originally posted by pimpedaccord
My question is should I go with a 2 or 3 oz fuel tank?
2 oz. is plenty!
Old 05-21-2003, 08:28 PM
wild fred
My Feedback: (3)

Default HOB spacewalker

really! it will go 30 minutes on a 3 oz. with throttle management. the 074's are very economical. my cap does over 10 with the 2 oz, and then i land w/fuel left.
Old 05-21-2003, 08:59 PM
Msaint
My Feedback: (5)

Default HOB spacewalker

Originally posted by Dr. Wine

My wing loading, including Barbie in the cockpit, is 13.5 oz. It balanced perfectly. The PAW engine is heavy compared to the Norvel. In other words, you might be a little tail heavy.

What do you expect when you put a woman in the cockpit!