Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Q-Tee Build Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 03:14 PM
digital_trucker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Q-Tee Build Thread

Well, the suspected weak point in the construction has indeed failed; I caught a wingtip on landing and snapped a couple of the struts. I'm sure the fact that's it's a tad overpowered with the Wasp and I fly it wayyyyy beyond it's original design had nothing whatsoever to do with it.

Long story short; the Q-Tee is about to become an S-Tee
Old 04-06-2008, 04:53 PM
JoeAverage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: digital_trucker

Well, the suspected weak point in the construction has indeed failed; I caught a wingtip on landing and snapped a couple of the struts. I'm sure the fact that's it's a tad overpowered with the Wasp and I fly it wayyyyy beyond it's original design had nothing whatsoever to do with it.

Long story short; the Q-Tee is about to become an S-Tee
Were the struts spruce or fir? Just curious. Do you think the dihedral from the Q-Tee will suffice for the S-Tee?

I have an orignal from the kit Airtronics Gere Sport here that I am wanting to fly. It looks like it should have ailerons. Anyway, I am glad to see the Q-Tee is still in regarded in some circles. It was a winner when it came out and time hasn't changed that.

Cheers!
Old 04-06-2008, 06:30 PM
digital_trucker

I believe the struts are spruce. As far as the dihedral goes, I'm not totally sure. Somehow when I built it I wound up with about 2/3 the dihedral that the plans call for. Hasn't mattered to the Q-Tee in performance or flyability, but I don't know what's going to happen when it gets S-Tee-ized. I may wid up doing surgery on the wings and turning the trailing edge into ailerons.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:57 PM
JoeAverage

ORIGINAL: digital_trucker

I believe the struts are spruce. As far as the dihedral goes, I'm not totally sure. Somehow when I built it I wound up with about 2/3 the dihedral that the plans call for. Hasn't mattered to the Q-Tee in performance or flyability, but I don't know what's going to happen when it gets S-Tee-ized. I may wid up doing surgery on the wings and turning the trailing edge into ailerons.
Thanks, I am using spruce cabanes, LE and Spar. If you were adding ailerons to a stock Q-Tee wing as per plan then you would have to reduce the dihedral. The fact that in was under-dihedralled (if that's a word) in the first place then adding flaps should be a straight forward process. Some real differential is likely a good idea I would use ailerons wider at the root and tapered to the tip from mid chord. The ailerons won't fight the dihedral so much then. You should have a Winner! Some dihedral is still a good idea in a bird that big. Inhereant stability. May still fly like like 3 channel on a calm day. Please advise of your success. Should work great.

Would you recommend the Wasp? I miss the availability of Norvels and consisitent Quality Control. Are the Wasps hit and miss or is the QC consitent?

Good luck, John
Old 04-06-2008, 07:07 PM
digital_trucker

Despite the fact that it has less dihedral than called for, the Q-Tee has showed no lack of stability or rudder effectiveness. I don't really think there will be much problem with it shoulder-winged.....we'll see I guess.

The Wasps won't compare to a Norvel, but they seem to be fairly consistent from what I've heard. For sport planes they ought do very well. On the Q-Tee it's certainly PUH-LENTY of power. This thing is actually one of the fastest planes in the air around here! Keep in mind mine isn't totally stock any more; I'm using a turbo plug head on it (OS P8 plugs) and a Flyquiet pipe. It takes nearly a quart of fuel to get them to running consistently, until they're fully broken-in the throttles tend to be a little twitchy (they die at idle easy). It's very reliable now. I last run this engine back in october, and it started up at the first bump of the starter and I didn't have to mess with the needle at all.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:01 PM
JoeAverage

Thank you for addressing my questions so specifically. I have wanted to buy a Wasp and will now that you have provided well thought out remarks and experience to reinforce my decision. The break in procedure and results you describe ring true.

I will often enlarge or reduce a model, in essence to make it compatible with the power supply. I have admired SR Batteries Cutie which looks like a 1.33% enlargement and refinement of the venerable Q-Tee. I am doing a 48" span for an OS.10 and an E version for an Eflite 10. I think they will be winners. Here's hoping anyway. I'll let you know how they work. These Q-Tee Cutie models in 36 or 48 inch are a welcome change to the more challenging models That I do find "More Challenging." I need to get out more.

John
Old 12-25-2018, 10:11 AM
ektpuah

Anyone tried modifying Q Tee with spoilers ?
Old 12-25-2018, 10:58 AM
tewitt1949

I am a big advocate for the Q-tee's. I've had 2-4 at all times. Started back in the 80's with .049's. Although the old motors are really not available anymore don't hurt my feelings. I've modified most q-tees to electric and there fore a smaller fuselage as I don't need all the room. I never thought I'd say this because I'm a nitro guy at heart, but electric in a q-tee is much more enjoyable. They are lighter and much more powerful. I only modify the front of the fuse, all other parts are same size as original. I think orginally the front of the fuse is about 3 inches square. I made it about 2 inches square and about 2 1/2 inches longer from the wing foreword. That allows better balance for the lighter motor. If I was capable of hovering, it would do it and take it straight up, yet goes very slow with throttle. I've also made a wing with ailerons. It did fly good but was not as enjoyable and easy to fly. I use it in our club competition fun flys and it does very well. No wheels, just bounce it off the ground for touch and goes. I've been flying for 35 yrs and I still fly them all the time.

What do you mean by spoiler?
Old 12-26-2018, 08:05 PM
tewitt1949

One other change I've done is change the dihedral. I think the planes call for 3 inches under one wing. I change that to about 1 1/2 inches. I use that as a standard now.

Last edited by tewitt1949; 12-26-2018 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:39 PM
ektpuah

Default Q Tee with zero dihedral plus spoilers

Mine is withoit dihedral and I added spoileds to aid controlled landings.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:37 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Q-Tee with original dihedral works well as a rudder only aircraft and as 2 channel rudder and elevator aircraft. I have flown both modes, first as single channel with auxiliary step sequential throttle (quick blip Low - Medium - High back to Low) on a 1970's vintage Golden Bee with exhaust throttle ring and later with 2 channel digital proportional with same Golden Bee unthrottled. Q-Tee is excellent in both modes and the Golden Bee ample power with a fun factor. However this was without ailerons using rudder for turns, dihedral helped it to roll in turns. Later I put a Norvel .061 Big Mig (unthrottled) on it as 2 channels, really became fun to fly.

You must be having a real blast flying Q-Tee with ailerons. I still have to repair mine from the last crash, but I'm thinking about upping the ante with a 1964 OS Max .10R/C (only 3.1 oz. with ganged exhaust baffle plate for idle back pressure and no muffler. Engine is same loud as an unmuffled Cox .049 on full throttle, but sounds muffled at half and less. This is not Schneurle, is an earlier lower power cross scavenge with baffle dam on top the piston).

Last edited by GallopingGhostler; 01-05-2019 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:14 PM
MrGoodwreck

I love how this thread is still going..

Im getting ready to build my 3rd

I built the last ones so long ago, my kids have them now.
Old 02-20-2020, 05:59 AM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

Wow, a trip down memory lane!
I started first in 1967 with a Goldberg Skylane - escapement. Crashed immediately after about 15 ft.
Then a Mambo Special in 1968...ditto, but at least it made it high enough to hit a water tower....
Then an RCM Trainer....one flight.....
Then finally a Q-Tee in the 70's. 2 channel only. Success! Loved doing flat spins!
Then on to a Sig Kavalier for my first "full house" plane, in about 1978.
But the next plane was an S-Tee. Fun, but not as fun as the Q-Tee.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:16 PM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by tedsander
Then finally a Q-Tee in the 70's. 2 channel only. Success! Loved doing flat spins! [....] But the next plane was an S-Tee. Fun, but not as fun as the Q-Tee.
Interesting, Ted that you'd mention the Q-Tee was more fun, because I'd think it was the other way around, but Q-Tee is a blast to fly in its own right. It is about as simple as you can get, but with the generous tail control surfaces, is capable of quite a bit of fun. I finally powered my rebuild after 20 years with a Norvel Big Mig .061 CL/FF version (no throttle). It really moved out and became truly fun. About the only step up (in my opinion) is to Lee Renaud's Gere Sport biplane (about the same wingspan, same type construction).
Old 02-22-2020, 12:28 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I suspect that the fun factor was higher for the Q vs the S simply because the higher wing would make the roll couple from the dihedral more effective. So likely the Q snapped around with more vigor than the S. Ted that sound about right?
Old 02-22-2020, 02:14 PM
tedsander

Originally Posted by BMatthews
I suspect that the fun factor was higher for the Q vs the S simply because the higher wing would make the roll couple from the dihedral more effective. So likely the Q snapped around with more vigor than the S. Ted that sound about right?
Probably very true. And it might have something to do with it being my first plane to actually return home with me (many times!) with no damage!
Old 02-22-2020, 02:15 PM
tedsander

Are there plans available out there somewhere?
Old 02-24-2020, 05:02 PM
JoeAverage

Default Q Tee Plans

Outerzone Plans Site
Old 04-18-2020, 08:21 AM
Rubbernecker
My Feedback: (22)

Originally Posted by MrGoodwreck
I love how this thread is still going..

Im getting ready to build my 3rd

I built the last ones so long ago, my kids have them now.
Did you ever build that Q-Tee I cut for you? I sold quite a few of those and never heard any build reports.

John
Old 04-18-2020, 10:09 AM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by tedsander
Originally Posted by BMatthews
Probably very true. And it might have something to do with it being my first plane to actually return home with me (many times!) with no damage!
Interesting, then may be S-Tee needed more dihedral? Or, was better suited with ailerons? That makes for a good reason for me to stick with my Q-Tee and not bother with building an S-Tee. A few have added framing and windows to give the Q-Tee a Cessna Bird Dog looks.
Old 10-01-2020, 03:33 AM
Michealmaymn

Default Q Tee Build Thread

My previous post showed my collection in a very cool space. But now, since I have the room, I'm gearing up to build a purpose-built toy room. No cars though, but about everything else.

Starting out with 2900 sq. ft. and nine foot ceilings. I will put in a bathroom, two bedrooms, shop and bar. The rest is open to imagination. I will be "imagining" for a while...

So I started by painting the ceiling black. Already positioned the pool table in between the posts.

Next up will be the bar top, a circular "Beetle-Kill" piece, 10 ft. OD, 6 ft. ID, 3 in. thick. Finally, one big room with minimal walls. The rest will be photographed as I progress. Here's the space I am working with:
Old 12-25-2020, 02:47 AM
Opvaulet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My QTee...

The following users liked this post:
GallopingGhostler (12-25-2020)
Old 12-25-2020, 03:56 AM
GallopingGhostler

That is a really fine Q-Tee build and flight, Opvaulet, love the Nillie Willy's Cox Black Widow electric motor mount, adds a touch of class.
Old 12-25-2020, 04:12 AM
Opvaulet

Default My QTee...

Since the maiden I have moved the CG back and reduced the dihedral. Flys better as a result. QTee was the very first RC model I built in 1976. This second one is much better built!
Old 12-25-2020, 04:20 AM
Opvaulet

Default My QTee...

These 2 are next...Pics show my original Graupner Terry photo taken in 1979, and the Stik I never had a chance to build.

Last edited by Opvaulet; 12-25-2020 at 08:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
combatpigg (12-25-2020)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.