Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Micro-Flite

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 01:44 AM
awgreig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Micro-Flite

Concerning Micro-Flite it is obvious these folks are just playing a hoax, for whatever reason. It is actually a little humorous, check out the latest update on their web site. They are shipping the throttled td-10 to the army so soldiers can carry around mini UMVs in their backpacks.. HMMMM I guess a couple guys with too much time on their hands.
Old 02-11-2003, 03:48 AM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

Default Micro-Flite

Well, I sure hope not. That the .010 CAN be throttled well is no doubt. My own design exhaust throttle did 9K up to 27K and idle was rock steady with excellent transition. The unit illustrated on page 42 of the August 01 issue of Flying Models was based on the Light Machines concept. It did 9K but only had a top end of 23K.

As Micro-Flite claims, tolerances within the engine must be maintained at a higher standard to achieve consistency. This accounts for the discrepancy between the two throttle designs. Switching both throttle designs between three different engines gave varying results in all aspects of operation. It just could be that all of these design and production problems are legit. After all, I don't believe any money has changed hands. Has any one paid for an engine and is still waiting?

What say Milton. What's your experience with the .010?
Old 02-11-2003, 12:24 PM
Dave Campbell

Default Micro-Flite

I read of more than one guy who has paid and not been taken care of. Sounds like time to call the Postmaster General. There are some angry people about this...

Dave
Old 02-11-2003, 01:30 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Default Micro-Flite

Originally posted by 1705493
What say Milton. What's your experience with the .010?
I have 2 of the little critters that are on airplanes and both perform about the same. They start easily, needle settings are a just a tiny bit fussy and both turn up around 27-28K. Neither have throttles at this time but I'm helping a friend test his throttle sleeves. The glow plug on my oldest one is at least 3 yrs. old and has countless flights on it.

I was helping matchlessaero with his Little Blue Angel the other day and his .010 handled about the same as mine although once that thing was up and "on the wing" it really was turning up noticeably faster than mine. I think the lower drag plane was allowing the engine to turn way on up there! His (I think) was assembled from spare parts rather than bought NIB and so far, 2 plugs have burned out.

The 1st one was burned right where the coil end is crimped to the head and I think a little tiny bit of coil or alum. flew off and got smeared between the piston & cyl wall 'cuz it got REAL stiff after the flight and wouldn't restart. He had to polish the cyl. with some Scotchbrite I had on hand to get it to run again. It ran great the next flight and he didn't fly it again that day. He dropped by my shop the other night to get some help resetting the rod since we had seen that it was real loose previously and when we took the head off, the coil on that plug was burned out big time! He's hoping that the loose rod may have had some effect on plug life...if not, extra gaskets will be needed. With the price of .010 plugs these days, here's hoping it's not gonna need a new one every other flight!
Old 02-11-2003, 11:49 PM
Dave Campbell

Default Micro-Flite

Definitely sounds overcompressed.. I've got lots of flights on my glowhead. I was talking to Matchless about this last night and I think it's a case of stacked tolerances being out of the ball-park. Individually, the case, jug, and plug bottoming height may have passed QC, but assembled into a parts motor might have the head sitting too low. I know that 010's are VERY finicky with their parts fit, and that's the reason the new motors don't run like when the old man was still around. Estes just doesn't care about Cox, would rather make plastic ARFs or hair nets in China than make a good motor so I don't think piston fit and blueprint accuracy on a low volume motor is very important to them.

Dave