Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

1/2 A engines?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 11:13 PM
grant-RCU
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/2 A engines?

Since norvel is not available, what other engines are there to chose from in sizes below a .10. I know theres the TT 07, os 10, and the AP engines.

Are the AP and TT 1/2A engines good engines?
Old 03-06-2007, 12:22 AM
SGC

Default RE: 1/2 A engines?

Both the AP and TT are good motors- not as powerfull as the Norvels ,but they are available.
There is also the Brodak 049 Mk1 and2 motors, the mk1 is made by CS and is about as powerfull as a Cox BabyBee, changeing from the std plug to a Nelson head/plug combo brings the power up to the AP, Brodak has an R/C version but its not advertised, The Mk2 is reportably more powerfull and is made by a different manufacturer-is only in C/L version at the moment.Then theres the Fora and Cyclons at the top end of performance/price. Oh and the Cox SureStarts
Stewart
Old 03-06-2007, 02:54 AM
ffkiwi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The AP is essentially a Chinese copy of the Norvel-but with a separate carb (unlike the Norvel it is not produced in a standard form) and probably uses std ABN piston cylinder technology rather than the ceramic based Revlite of the Norvels. Certainly they are no where as tightly fitted as the Norvels. Porting wise they are copies of the Big Mig 061 rather than the AME (5 small schneurle transfers rather than 3 large). good spares support through Global/Hobby People. Instructions quote performance as 3000-25,000 fuel and prop not specified.
The TT 07 is quite a bit bigger and heavier at 3.35 oz (AP=1.9 oz) but does have a decent sized silencer-quoted performance not too different at 3,500-24,000-and has a 3 year warranty-pretty exceptional these days. Anecdotal reports say they are no ball of fire performance wise-but that may be due to over-propping them-an unusual looking little engiine and quite attractive with its mauve anodised cylinder head and spinner. TT 07 is ABN according to instructions. Carb is airbleed type and needle angled well back from prop, unlike AP 06. Should be amenable to tuning, as it uses a std glowplug fitted to a separate head button which is retained by the finned head acting as a scew in clamping ring. Fitting a Nelson plug would be no problem-and there is a generous clearance around the plug for spanner access. Comes with a nice set of accessories too-multipurpose spanner-a good solid one, a radial mount adaptor, two prop bushings, and a length of silicone fuel tubing.
Either are good value for money-as for longevity-hard to say. [I own both-but haven't got around to running either yet]

'ffkiwi'
Old 03-06-2007, 06:40 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have yet to buy an AP yet but I have read numerous posts which tell you to dissassemble and clean the motor before you ever flip it over. Many reports of milling trash internally.
This is ( from what I read) from poor quality control. For this same reason the APs can give a wide range of performance. some don't do well at all and some do nearly as well as a Norvel. You never know till you try it.
I think that some of the poor runners were trashy inside and the owner may not have known better to clean it first.

Robert
Old 03-06-2007, 10:40 PM
chevy43

When I took my PAW .06 apart there were burs from milling on the rod that I had to clean up. I don't think they affected the engine but it sure made me feel better to clean them up.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:54 PM
grant-RCU
My Feedback: (10)

Thanks guys. I decided on a AP 06 was going with a 09 but i like the weight of the 06 better. 1.9 ounces verses 4.5 with muffler!