Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Can I use my 15% CP heli fuel with a norvel .061?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Can I use my 15% CP heli fuel with a norvel .061?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2003, 07:25 AM
Mopzilla

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can I use my 15% CP heli fuel with a norvel .061?

I have two gallons of it, can i use it for both my heli and a plane with a norvel .061? it is 15% and has tons of lubricant... and smells really good too. I need a very fast answer!! Thanks.
Old 02-14-2003, 07:36 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mopzilla:

Yes.

Fast enough?

The engines in my little Tiggerkitty twin are AMD 0.061s, almost the same as the Norvel. I use Omega15% heli in all my engines, from the Cox 0.02 to my big Saitos. Works fine, even though the Cox would like higher nitro.

You should use enough nitro,
, To make it GO, man, GO!

Bill.
Old 02-14-2003, 07:38 AM
Mopzilla

thank you for the quick reply, I was actually sitting here refreshing the screen every few minutes because I'd like to get this order for plane accessories ASAP.. with fuel, it is flammable so airmail is not allowed, and it is faster with airmail. That is very good news! Means I could go to the field with both R/C's with only a gallon or two of the same fuel! Thank you very much.
Old 02-14-2003, 07:53 AM
William Robison

Mop:

You're welcome.

But.

Go to your local paint store and buy "Methyl Hydrate" in the 99.9% purity. Or "Methanol," or "Methyl alcohol." Allee samee.

At your local speed shop buy the nitromethane.

Get some "Baker's XXXX" castor oil, or Steen's C, or Klotz oil, mix your own.

A lot cheaper, and no hazardous freight charges. If I didn't get the Omega 15% for $9/gallon I'd still be mixing my own.

Hazard charges? Say nix.
. Fuel is too easy to mix.

Bill.
Old 02-14-2003, 12:48 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Actually if your heli is norvel powered it says in you manual NOT to use cool power(green stuff) because there is no castor oil in it... but that you can use omega(pink stuff) in it.... this is a wear or breakin issue/alert, not because of the glow plug/head,, however if your engine is broken in there should be no problems with either as this was a post in the LMH heli forum where several people had used cp for years in their LMH heli's.. I suppose you could add castor for breakin if needed........ I however would not recommend that you begin mixing your own fuel just yet.. Rog
Old 02-17-2003, 07:46 AM
Mopzilla

Flyinrog, you seem to think I own an LMH heli. no. I own a shuttle ZXX .32 engine heli.. it runs on 15% cp heli fuel. I just bought a shrike w/norvel .061 (being delivered) and was wondering about the heli fuel being used with the .061.. since the difference between the two engines is very big.

If I didn't get the Omega 15% for $9/gallon...
PLEASE let me in on the secret.. where do you get it for $9/gallon? I pay $16/gal for 15% cp... hmm..

thanks!
Old 02-17-2003, 08:06 AM
William Robison

RaggMopp:
PLEASE let me in on the secret.. where do you get it for $9/gallon? I pay $16/gal for 15% cp... hmm..
I am the one getting it for $9/gallon.
One of our club members got tired of the LHS' profit margin on fuel and other piddly things, so he started his own shop in one room of his house. The $2 prop you buy he sells for 95 cents, your $16 fuel is $9, and so forth. Start your own shop. get good prices.

One of the ways he gets such good prices, I think, is by driving to a regional distributor and therefore paying no freight charges. But I don't know. So long as I get the good prices I'm not going to interfere.

There is orobably (slmost definitely) a distributor somewhere in the SF area, you could get together with your club and buy in larger quantities, get a good price, make a monthly run to buy.

Fuel for a good price,
. Yes, it's really nice.

Bill.
Old 02-17-2003, 08:15 AM
Mopzilla

I am the one getting it for $9/gallon.
Yes, i was talking to you, sorry for the confusion.

I like your rhymes!
So far, they're all about saving dimes!
Old 02-17-2003, 08:38 AM
William Robison

SwabZilla:

If it comes to that for you, it's really not hard to mix fuel. And for sport use the mix isn't that critical.

Get an old fuel jug, be sure it's clean. Dump a pint and a half of castor oil in it, add a pint of nitromethane, two ounces of acetone and then fill it up the rest of the way with methanol. You have just mixed 19% castor oil, and 12.5% nitro. You'll never tell it from Omega 15%.

Looks like you might be a poet also.

Some poems are prettier.
. Try James Greenleaf Whittier.

Bill.
Old 02-17-2003, 08:42 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

yeah Mop, I think I saw shuttle about the same time I clicked the submit here bar , just tellin ya what I read about the .061 LMH anyway, I read long ago to switch from cp to omega for new engines so I just stayed with it they are equally messy in my experience............Now then William Robison pray tell do you have this "recipe" for fuel, I am intrigued......can I make it in 2 or 3 gallon batches.....without getting a 55 gallon drum of methanol., I dont fly that much but yeah the hazard pay is getting high.........Rog
Old 02-17-2003, 09:41 AM
William Robison

Roger:

Go to your local paint store and buy "Methyl Hydrate" in the 99.9% purity. Or "Methanol," or "Methyl alcohol." It might also be displayed as "Shellac Thinner." The Shellac thinner could be denatured alcohol so be careful. Denatured alcohol will not work. Really, the methanol is about the easiest part to find. And it's not expensive. Just be sure it's high purity - the impurities in methanol are almost always plain water. Water ruins it for use as glow fuel.

At your local speed shop buy the nitromethane.

Get the castor oil from your drug store, or you might get that from your speed shop also.

You can do without the acetone, it makes the fuel last a bit longer, decreases its attracting water.

If you want a different nitro percentage, two pints of nitro makes 25%, drop it to 1/2 pint for 6.25% (near as needed to 5%). Or use none at all, and you have (almost) FAI fuel. The oil is just a hair short.

When you change the nitro amount, still use the two ounces of acetone and the 1 1/2 pints of castor, and finish filling the jug with methanol.

If you decide to mix fuels, please do it outside, try not to breathe any of the fumes, and if you get any of the straight notromethane on your skin run and wash it off immediately. The methyl aclohol is bad enough, the nitro is a lot more poisonous. It takes a fair bit of the wood alcohol to do anything to you, but the nitro can sneak up and bite your backside. The most obvious sign of nitro poisoning is blue lips. Right. You become a real blue blood. But you wont appreciate it. Drink a gallon of whole milk and lie down for the rest of the day. It also will make you a bit jumpy, and cause a loss of coordination. Inother words, if you're careless you can hurt yourself. But take care, and observe reasonable precautions, it is perfectly safe.

Back to two and three gallons at a time. Just double or triple the amounts. Simple, no? Almost every one is going to have a fuel jug, it makes a good measuring bottle. That's why I said one gallon. You'll also notice the smallest measurement I gave was a half pint, except the actone, and that percentage is not critical. All easy measurements.

Final note - DO NOT USE clear plastic measuring cups, the ingredients will melt most of them. I ruined a 1 liter graduate to learn this.

Home brewed fuel in your two-strokes,
. More money left to buy your Cokes.

Bill.
Old 02-18-2003, 06:31 AM
Mopzilla

William, thanks for your information,
Until now, cheap fuel was just my imagination.

Thank you!
Old 02-18-2003, 07:11 AM
fastlash
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel

Been there done the mix my own with 10 club members, saved a bunch, but if you dont want to hassle and want to get back to your question about Cool power witch is not the same as omega just the same manufacture your CP is all synthetic with no castor Omega has a small amount of Castor, the thing is if you are a good tuner and tend to run your engine on the rich side it will work fine but if you are a so-so tuner and or like to get all the revs you can then the omega or another fuel with Castor blend is a better deal, and will offer more protection against a lean run