Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

design contest F-104

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

design contest F-104

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2003, 10:20 PM
wild fred
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default design contest F-104

well, was intrigued by the design contest, and am hacking away at a f-104! Boy, the strip planking is a pain! The cap is waiting on the radio gear to go in, will be back on it in a few when this gets framed.
How does it look so far? -wildfred-
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	55831_19598.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	34970  
Old 02-16-2003, 10:29 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: design contest F-104

Originally posted by wild fred
... How does it look so far? -wildfred-
And wildfred jumps out to an early lead! It's looking really good. What do you think the wing loading will be?

You've set the bar pretty high for the rest of us.

It is really going to be fun to see what everyone has come up with by May.
Old 02-16-2003, 10:34 PM
wild fred

Default wing loading?

it is pretty big, 24" span, 11" chord w/ ailerons w/ a 6" tip chord. what's that, about 200 sqares? the usual weight, maybe 20 oz. max. it is almost 3' long; shouldn't be super fast, but might fly funny!
Old 02-16-2003, 10:41 PM
Bipe Flyer

Oooh, should fly nice! What prop? I can only find a COX 5X3 in a pusher.
Old 02-17-2003, 12:22 AM
wild fred

I had a couple tempest 6-4 pusher lying around, but about anything similar should be ok.
Old 02-17-2003, 01:48 AM
LoneRanger
My Feedback: (1)

VERY COOL~~~~

when can I drive down and see your shop? lol

keep up the great work and more pictures!

Pusher? or nose mounted motor?

L.R.
Old 02-17-2003, 02:16 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Wild Fred

Looking good!

Is the wing soild sheet?
Old 02-17-2003, 01:14 PM
DICKEYBIRD

She looks great fred....very ambitious project. In this day of ARF;s and laser cut kits, it's great to see guys start with a clean sheet and create something unique.

I'm not sure but if if it's the Cox 5x3 pusher prop with the square tips that Bipe Flyer's referring to, that's actually a pretty decent prop. I ran one a few (well 20) years ago on a push-me-pull-you twin scratchbuilt that hooked up pretty well.
Old 02-17-2003, 07:10 PM
Bipe Flyer

Originally posted by DICKEYBIRD
I'm not sure but if if it's the Cox 5x3 pusher prop with the square tips that Bipe Flyer's referring to, that's actually a pretty decent prop. I ran one a few (well 20) years ago on a push-me-pull-you twin scratchbuilt that hooked up pretty well.
Yeah, that's the one I'm referring to. Of course Dickeybid is going to say that COX = good.

All kidding aside, I've used the 5X3 COX tractor props and they are a decent prop. I generally run an APC 6X2 or 5.7X3 though. It would be nice if there was a little more variety in the pusher props.

Speaking of COX, I have a 5X3 3-blade... has anyone used one?
Old 02-18-2003, 12:09 AM
wild fred

my shop's just the garage, with a door slab to build on! More than adequate, though. The plane is a pusher. I put an 061 in a global mirage once, easy conversion and the engine ran well that way, but it was way too much motor for that; it BOOGIED! and like most foam stuff it got beat up and non fixable ( I am a balsa wood guy). The wing is built up, has a flat bottomed airfoil, I split the ribs in half at the 30% mark and glued the front and back halves to a 1/8" full depth hard balsa spar, and sheeted the top w/ 1/16" sheet. I tapered the top of spar so it would look like anhedral, as my 3 internet photos (my plans!) show the wing droops. Look for more stuff to come in the future years, as I now live about a mile from fantasy of flight museum. They always have way cool stuff flying in and out. Had a feisler storch flying around the other day, and last weekend there was a big cabin bipe. I don't know what it was, kinda looked like a fairey swordfish thing, but civilian? What a model that would be! The storch would be a GREAT 1/2 a for that matter...
Dickeybird and bipeflyer; thanks for the feedback on the cox prop, as I am not sure where my pusher went to, and I didn't know if the square cox worked well; used to use cox grey back when (you know, the ones that I always break when I land) and they were great on my old .051's, but hadn't used much of the production stuff. Maybe winans can get them to release some more modern prop designs?
Old 02-18-2003, 01:42 AM
fastlash
My Feedback: (7)

Default cool sites

Well Fred I got yea beat on cool things that are close I have a private field that is 1/3 block away, the approach is almost over my back yard a few of the owners have caps, rv-4's and Pitts and there was a Eagle but he crashed last year in the neighbor's field an was killed I get free air shows and free aerobatic shows summer and spring .Mccord air-force base is about 20 miles as the crow flies and last year the base got fogged in and about a half dozen Apache helis had to set down in my culdesac and at the field behind me, way cool but the coolest is about once a month they take the troops and helis out to mount Rainer and do maneuver's in the huge twin rotor Vertols, and on there way back do touch and goes on the run way behind me, Way cool makes the hair stand up on my neck,Heres the view from my front window
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	56210_1872.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	34971  
Old 02-18-2003, 01:59 AM
Bipe Flyer

Hey fastlash, I was in your neck of the woods a couple of weeks ago at the Puyallup model show.

I can see Mt. Baker from my window.
Old 02-18-2003, 02:11 AM
fastlash
My Feedback: (7)

Default cool

yea thats a great veiw also, I worked the show on Saturday, the club Iam in puts it on, it is a lot of work!!!hope to make it even bigger next year!!! How long of a drive each way was it??
Old 02-18-2003, 02:13 AM
wild fred

fastlash; a great site, for sure! I remember the chinooks when I was in the service, a BIG heli! Was an acft mech. then, we loaded one of those, a u-21 (king air) w/ wings off, a huey, a cobra, and asst. other stuff on a c-5 once. now that was a BIG plane!
anyway, was working on 104. got aileron servo in, engine mounted. looked through my junk and stuff, and found a cox 5x3.5 3-blade pusher!! how long do you think that's been lyin around? will post pix once sheeting and stuff finished.
Old 02-18-2003, 02:38 AM
Bipe Flyer

Default Re: cool

Originally posted by fastlash
How long of a drive each way was it??
It's about 4 hours each way, but that includes the stops at Denny's for breakfast and dinner.

I've gone the last 4 years. It's a great show. You'll have to wear a big "FASTLASH" sign next year so I can spot you.
Old 02-18-2003, 04:04 AM
LoneRanger
My Feedback: (1)

hey man, we need pics of all phases of construction!

let me see aileron install and motor mounted in airframe, etc......

L.R.
Old 02-19-2003, 12:17 AM
Digger-RCU

Fred, Im glad That i wont be able to vote for my own plane, because that 104 it the coolest thing since sliced bread, and I want to vote for it already. I love the pusher idea! please keep us posted!

Looks like there is going to be a group of Prop jets! Way Cool!

Randy (Digger) Birt
Old 02-19-2003, 02:14 AM
goldguy

I'm on Vancouver Island and I can see Mt. Baker too!!