Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Oh, the irony!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 06:50 PM
Texan
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oh, the irony!

The Ryan Bearcat with a rudder mod is the way to go. Check the photo of my plane and you will see the pull pull rudder. You are right about the snaps.. they are very tight!
Old 04-03-2007, 07:30 PM
pt40crasher

I fly clean and quiet when I don't have time for dirty and loud.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:02 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Pfft. Planes are supposed to make noise - we ain't knitting doilies.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:38 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't see this being anything beyond personal taste. I've heard plenty of electric planes generate prop noise that is louder than many glow engines. IC engines simply fit into the things I like. Mechanical stuff, old stuff, analogue stuff, oily stuff, etc. Example: I only play vinyl and only through tubes. It has to sound right and look right for me to like it. Here's some "glow" power for you. Did you know that only 2.4 watts of single-ended triode power can blow you out of the room?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33864.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	656402  
Old 04-03-2007, 09:11 PM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

I made mine pull-pull also. I made the elevator linkage internal. It was really clean.

What kind of an amp is that? I was sort of into hifi, not so much anymore. I have an AH! Tjoeb 99 and Counterpoint SA-100.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:33 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Stewart,

3 in 1 can! What a cool idea.

I finally settled on a Norvel syringe but the pop-top on the oil can would seal better - and you could probably get a 'drop' to lay on the piston or venturi easier.

I had used a black Sullivan fuel bulb but it was hard to control small measured amounts.

I have a small can of the vanilla scent that they sell for kerosene heaters. I keep forgetting to try it to see if it could really reduce THE odor. Anyone had experience with it?
Old 04-03-2007, 10:11 PM
rainedave

Greg, I had an AH! Tjoeb CD player, too! I sold it after about three months because I just don't like digital recordings, even through a tube CD player. At least I gave it a try.

The amp is a Decware Zen Select. Speakers are homemade Buschhorn Mk IIs with Fostex 4" drivers:

http://www.picosound.de/Buschhorn.pdf
Old 04-03-2007, 10:55 PM
Bipe Flyer

I've seen a few miniature tube amps available for MP3 players lately. Pretty cool.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90826.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	656552  
Old 04-04-2007, 06:41 AM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

The horn looks like a cool project. I have a 4.5 cubic foot transmission line subwoofer for a 10" that was in my truck for a while. It's part of my theater now.

I never really had the opportunity to listen to vinyl. That just shows my age.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:33 AM
rainedave

There are huge advantages to full-range single driver horns. For one, they are ridiculously inexpensive (about $65 for my pair). A single small 4" full-range driver is extremely fast with no out of phase issues, obviously. The cabinet is the woofer; it works exactly like a tuba - it's a horn, so there's your bass. They are absurdly efficient - mine are rated at 98db meaning my 2.4 watts can rattle the walls. You have to hear them to believe them. I still shake my head at mine. The reason you don't see them very often in audio stores is, I think, because people believe more and bigger is better. They expect a speaker to need a huge woofer, a midrange and a tweeter in order to sound good. The opposite is true. Just think of 1/2A vs 30% scale.

There's a guy in South Carolina selling probably the best kept secret in audio, if you don't want to DIY. They were designed for flea power, SET (single ended triode) amps like mine:

http://www.thehornshoppe.com/
Old 04-04-2007, 01:41 PM
Bipe Flyer

That's how the old phonographs got volume out of just a needle and a diaphragm. I think it's also the way the Bose Wave radios work.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:47 PM
rainedave

Yes, Bose, like the old classic 901s are folded horns. Klipsch makes horns, too.

What you want to find are the old Altec horns that were used in theaters. Gigantic cabinets, but extremely efficient.