Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Thumbs up for Herr Cherokee

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Thumbs up for Herr Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 02:46 AM
Cajuncharley
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thumbs up for Herr Cherokee

Today was the first flight for the Herr Cherokee with the Norvel .074 engine. Plane has 4 HS 81 servos with ailerons and a 2 oz. tank. Wing & ailerons covered with monokote and fuse was covered with Coverlite and given 1 coat of clear dope and 1 coat of urethane enamel. I wanted to protect the fuse as I am using 30% nitro. Wingspan is 312.6 sq. inches and weight was 25 oz. giving a wing loading of 11.5 oz per sq. ft. I was very impressed with its flight characteristics. I was able to do touch & go(s) with ease, even in the wind of today. This plane is a real winner and the engine was great. Flew 3 flights, and can hardly wait until weather is better. I can't decide which will the the next small plane.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:11 AM
wild fred
My Feedback: (3)

surprising, isn't it? the 074 powered stuff flies like a much bigger plane! touch and goes? you must have the luxury of pavement!!
Old 02-19-2003, 01:27 PM
Cajuncharley

Default Update on Herr Cherokee

I made an error in calculating the wing loading, and have made the change in the original posting. It should be 11.5 oz. per sq. ft. (I had originally posted 12.5 oz. per sq. ft).

We do not have a paved runway, just now is dead grass from the frost (we do have frost in So. Louisiana occasionally). The .074 is a great engine. I'm looking forward to another small plane with 4 channels!
Old 02-23-2003, 12:21 AM
beenie
My Feedback: (9)

Cajun Charlie,
Where in south LA are you? I have a hard time finding 1/2A guys around here.
Old 03-01-2003, 06:35 AM
Cajuncharley

Default Update on Cherokee

The update on the Herr Cherokee after 12 flights:
1. The Norvel .074 is simply amazing. I am running a 7 X 4 APC and get about 16,000 rpms with muffler and on 30% nitro. Very quiet to my ears. I am sure I could get more rpm but really handles the plane well. Idle and transition to full throttle is great. It runs so cool you can almost hold the cylinder when it is running.
2. Weight is 25-26 oz. dry with 4 HS-81 servos. Wing loading is 11.5 oz per sq. ft. (I increased wing area by adding ailerons.)
3. Does touch & gos with ease, even on our grass field.
4. It is reasonably acrobatic considering it is a 1/2A model.
5. Two other experienced club fliers flew it and said it was the best flying 1/2A model they ever flew.

There are 2 downsides:

a) It is a nasty mess to clean up. I am using 30% homebrew with a very high quality all synthetic oil.
b) Nose drops fairly quickly on landing. I have programed in some up elevator on the airbrake function, and this helps.

All in all, I am tickled pink with the model. I am convinced that the relatively large wing area contributes to its performance.

Cajuncharley
Old 03-01-2003, 12:51 PM
wild fred

Yes, the 074 is a great engine, and it is messy! I use a m.a.s. 7-3, it takes the cap off grass w/ those itty bitty wheels and pants!
you might check your c.g.- if the nose is dropping, you might need to move it aft, or add a little don/right thrust.
The large wing does help. old 1/2 a was small and if you weren't VERY careful, you wound up w/ a hot rock. The herr stuff is light, powerful w/ norvel, relatively large compared with 1/2a of the past. and w/ an 074, it flies just like a 40 size ship, doesn't it?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	59329_19598.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	35354  
Old 03-03-2003, 09:41 AM
Cajuncharley

Default Broken rod on Norvel .074

I guess it was inevitable that I would break a rod on the engine. It was flooded and I used an electric starter and broke the rod. Fortunately I had another engine and flew the next day. When I ordered a replacement part, I notice the rod is not available. The whole cylinder, rod and piston must be purchased as a set. I'll be more careful in the future!

Do you Norvel experts use after run oil? If there is nearly as much oil on the inside of the engine as there is on the outside of the plane, none would be needed.

Cajuncharley
Old 03-03-2003, 04:15 PM
wild fred

I've never used after run oil on anything, but that's me. had a fox 19 and have a s.t.40 from the mid 80's, replaced bearings on both in 99, s.t. still has great compression (it is abc). Is good if you aren't going to fly for several months, though. again, just my opinion.

I think it might cause hyd. lock and break a rod if not careful if eng. full of oil! always hand prop them through a couple tomes first, and I use a wore out yellow h-9 cone, it slips if engine is flooded.