Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cox .049 fuel

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 04:12 PM
Big_3Dan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cox .049 fuel

Hello guys

What kindda fule do i have to use to run this engine?? Can i use the standard fuel used for larger engines?? If not what do i have to use? The engine has never been started. I'm worried that i can ruin the engine if i don't use the right fuel. Any advice will be helpful!

PR
Old 02-19-2003, 07:17 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Default Cox .049 fuel

Hi PR,

This topic has been talked about in this forum many times and if I remember correctly, some very knowlegeable "engine guys" had differing opinions. Some (myself included) recommend fuel with around 18 to 20% straight castor lube and 15 to 25% nitro. The original Cox fuel is close to this mix. I use Byron's 25% nitro fuel which comes in quarts labeled "1/2A Fuel, 16% All Castor" and I add 1 oz. Sig castor to each quart. My engines all run well and seem to last a long time between rod resets.

On the other hand, there are advocates 15% Coolpower, 15 - 30% Powermaster, 10 - 35% Omega and Sig 15 - 30% all with varying amounts of castor and/or synthetic.

Regardless of the fuel you choose, please keep that new engine running rich and use a smaller prop during the initial break-in period. Also run it in short, 1 minute runs with a complete cooldown between runs and a check the head tightness frequently.

Good luck!

ps: Do a search on Cox fuel and read what the other pundits have to say.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:38 PM
Big_3Dan

Default Cox .049 fuel

Thanks dickeybird!

I'll follow your advice. The engine i have was included in a control line model from cox. A J3 Piper cub. For what i read it's a sure start engine or something like that. I'm planing on using it to launch a gentle lady glider. What's the difference between all this cox engines? I got the plane and engine for $18 and a cox engine cost's at least $40..so i'm sure there's a catch somewhere with the engine...Or did i just have luck??

PR
Old 02-19-2003, 08:02 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Default Cox .049 fuel

The SureStart engines run fine. The engines purchased separately cost more than the RTF models do...why? I guess volume and economy of scale??

I once caught an overstock sellout deal at Tower Hobbies where they were selling the RTF u/c Star Wars "Naboo Fighter" for $5.00 each!! Us Cox-a-holics bought a bunch of 'em and now have a good supply of glow plugs and black nylon 6x3 props for far less than you can buy them separately plus I find that the SureStart piston/cyl is one of the best for sport flying. I use them on my modified "DickeyBird" TD engines. One man's junk is another man's treasure!
Old 02-19-2003, 08:30 PM
schneider

Default Cox .049 fuel

Hey supersports good selection on using a Cox on your Lady.. here is what an evil Norvel .061 did to mine... I originally used a Cox .049 and a 6x4 prop from an old C-150 control line model from the late 70s... flew great, a little slow, but good and docile.... I decided to try one of them Commie screamers and look what she did to my bird....Consider adding shear webs to your spars for extra strength.... I wish I had...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	56660_25579.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	35418  
Old 02-20-2003, 12:27 AM
Big_3Dan

Default Cox .049 fuel

Oooooh that hurts!

What happened to that GL?? engine failure?? what was the cause of the crash? Well i guess i have to consider i was lucky then getting that engine. I was thinking of building a power pod for it. i've seen a lot of people sugest putting it on front for balance. i guess there are more advantages of putting it on the front but i want the glider looks that the nose gives th GL.

PR
Old 02-20-2003, 12:40 AM
Digger-RCU

Default Cox .049 fuel

Oh my!!! I sure am sorry about your gentle lady.

But, thats the first time I have heard a complaint concerning the fact that norvels are infitely more powerfull than a cox!!

Your post made me want to buy more norvels and shred some wood myself. WHaaaaaWHOOOOO!!!!

Randy (Digger) Birt
Old 02-20-2003, 03:29 AM
prole
My Feedback: (3)

Default Cox fuel

PR-

Before I found this forum all I used in my Cox's was Cox Super Power fuel, after all, that is what they say you have to use.

I don't know if you've noticed, but that stuff is REALLY expensive!!

When I found this forum my whole perspective on small RC changed and it became more and more obvious that the Cox was indeed a real engine and that them telling me that I had to use their fuel was just good marketing.

The best fuel that I've found, in my Cox's and my Norvels is Norvel NVX fuel. I use 15% for break in and it my Texaco and the 25% in everything else. I couldn't believe the difference it made, the engines ran better, the exhaust was cleaner and it started easier. On top of all that, it's cheaper to buy a quart of the NVX than a pint of the Cox.

Cox engines can pretty much run on any glow fuel, the norvels are sensitive to rubber and some additives that are put in glow fuel. If you look at the Norvel website there is a list of brands to stay away from.

The biggest debate you hear around here in regards to fuel is about the lubricants. People say different things, some people swear by castor, some people hate it beacause it's so messy. The instructions for both Cox and Norvel engines will tell you to use fuel with at least some castor. The bottom line is dependant on how well you know how to run your engines. If you know when to say when as far as leaning out your mix then you will probably be alright with no castor. If your a beginner like me, I trust that the castor is going to be there for those time that I get a little to greedy.

Hope this helps....

as always
t-theprole-
Old 02-20-2003, 11:56 AM
schneider

Default Cox .049 fuel

Yes I would recommend the front-mounted engine versus the power pod.. I tried a power pod with the Cox and it just didnt fly well... then I put the engine on the front and it helped a lot with balance and it flew very well from that point...Then after about 3 months I put on the Norvel. The speed about doubled and gave me a little vertical to play with, but it was way faster than what I would recommend for someone relatively new......The cause of the crash judging from the 'remains' was a broken right wing spar due to excessive flutter (and I do mean EXCESSIVE.. like I mentioned before, it was one LOUD 'bzzzzzzzzz-SNAP!') This plane had been thru a lot (training.. mods.. experiments with ailerons, dihedral, etc) and I think she should have been retired about 10 minutes before this flight. I had noticed the wings bending moreso than usual during loops in the previous flight but it felt ok on the ground. If I find a cheap one at the swap area in Toledo I'll probably get another one, GL's fly great, powered or not. The Cox ran great on Norvel NVX fuel. The Norvel seems happy with whatever I put in it. Currently Wildcat 5% nitro with 18% lube.