Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cnc

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 12:16 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cnc

Here's a few pics re: CNC router from the Design Contest thread
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	56716_7026.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	35538  
Old 02-20-2003, 12:16 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Default Cnc

'Nuther pic:

Name:	56719_7026.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	35539  
Old 02-20-2003, 12:23 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Default Cnc

It has a Porter Cable 23,000 rpm trim router with 1/16 & 1/8 dia. carbide 2 flute bits....stepper motors and driver hardware/control software from MaxNC. It has a 12"x12" worktable with vacuum hold down. I draft in TurboCAD and do the G-Code conversions with ACE Converter from Yeager Automation (free download!)

Here's a pic of some ribs I did for a buddy's Uproar 60. I drew up a thinner triple tapered, 2 piece wing that plugged onto the original aluminum tube spar. There was enough wood in the ribs alone to build a couple of my kinda planes!

Name:	56723_7026.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	35540  
Old 02-20-2003, 12:59 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cnc

Well, I think that was the nudge I needed.

I use Turbocad too. I also use Profili for airfoils then I convert the dxf files to dats in ProfScan.

I can't quite tell from the pictures, but it looks like the table moves, not the router. Are there plans, or is this your own design?
Old 02-20-2003, 01:05 AM
fastlash
My Feedback: (7)

Default Fanastic

Nice setup, you have all these skills and you still waste your time with them plastic engines whats a matter you ??? when ya go'in ta make some kits, like a shrunk down dom.50 for those cox nat engines??? All kidding aside have you ever considered it!!
Old 02-20-2003, 01:31 AM
wild fred
My Feedback: (3)

Default Cnc

and here I am, hacking this stuff by hand off pictures! Stone knives and bearskins, for sure!!
Old 02-20-2003, 02:23 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Cnc

But where's the workmanship? The pride in communion with the beloved Xacto knife? That feeling of one'ness with the wood? Those quiet quality times as the pile o' parts slowly grows into a semi kit? That old world craft etiquette?

I'm jealous/envious but not really that anxious to follow in your footsteps, can you tell?

Nice rig
Old 02-20-2003, 04:55 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Default Cnc

That is so cool!

I draw with crayons, then cut the parts out with non-pointy scissors in comparison. Color the little face green with envy.
Attached Images  
Old 02-20-2003, 05:41 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Cnc

.... and think of the confusion this lends to the already very mixed up English language. Instead of saying "Now cut that out soarrich!" we'd have to say 'Now CNC that out soarrich!".

Bruce "stuck in the last century" Matthews
Old 02-20-2003, 06:54 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cnc

A worse word that has been added to the English language is ARF!
Old 02-20-2003, 01:14 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Default Cnc

Thanks guys, believe me....if I was able to get one up & running, you can too if you want! It's not for everyone though since there's a considerable investment of time & learning needed. The overall process of design & parts cutting takes longer than the old way.....but they sure are accurate parts plus they can be duplicated easily if you crash.

Mine was built about 4 yrs. ago with the technology available in my price range at the time. There is some great, inexpensive hardware available now and plans for the machines are readily available.

Bipe Flyer: Yes, the table moves in X/Y direction....router only moves up/down (Z direction). Most of the hobby CNC machine plans available now have a "moving gantry" design which I think is better than mine.

Rather than describe the ins & outs of my machine here, I'll give a link to a thread over on Ezone where everything is discussed at great length. Go pour yourself a fresh cup of coffee 'cuz it's quite a long read but you'll see several guys go from "What are CNC" to "Hey, look at these cool parts I cut out!" John "Cranky" Kleinbauer posts there prolifically. He's a seller of kits & plans using readily available, cheap materials. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=62920

ps: Everybody, like lash, always asks "when are you gonna start cutting kits" There's not enough spare time in my day already for the stuff I want to design & build, much less try to cut out bazillions of parts for other folks. Besides, there's too many hungry laser cutter companies out there ready to cut kits already!
Old 02-20-2003, 04:30 PM
Dave Campbell

Default Cnc

uhh-yeah, right-Dickeybird here is the guy that marvelled at me slopping glue for molds and fuses!

Methinks you've been sandbagging us Milton,.....

Does it do 3d cutter paths?

Dave
Old 02-20-2003, 05:04 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Default Cnc

Naah, not sandbagging, just a dream I had that wouldn't go away until I got a machine up and working. It's a whole new hobby that will consume you if you're not careful. You have to keep in mind that it's after all, just another tool!

The machine itself isn't very picky about what G-code instructions it's given (other than tool dia. compensation, my controller software doesn't do that). The problem in doing 3D shapes is in the original 3D CAD drawing and the G-Code tool path software needed. Both are very expensive and have a much higher learning curve that this 'ol dog probably ain't gonna be able to learn in this lifetime. I'll have to stick to 2 1/2D stuff for now.

ps: I still marvel at your 'glass molding. I'd end up with my hands stuck inside the mold or something worse! :stupid: