Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Ace GLH A competitive 1/2A pylon racer?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Ace GLH A competitive 1/2A pylon racer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 05:16 PM
captken59

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ace GLH A competitive 1/2A pylon racer?

Hi Folks, I found one of the built up wing GLH kits a few years ago in the Sell em Cheap / get em gone pile at a large hobby shop in Fl. where I'd been sent for business. Being the eternal cheap guy , I couldn't pass up an armfull of assorted kits for $15 - $25 each. Recently , the go fast trend has swept my local club and a large % of the membership bought one of 2 of the popular "quicky" arfs. Well ,I build not Arf and I was ready to do an easy model after the last highly detailed (took way too long) plane ,so after seeing a bunch of identical yellow or red go fasts at the field I remembered the GLH on the shelf in the garage. It's about ready to come off the board and I'm looking for some advice.
I'm debating what to install for a receiver , can't afford a glitch if this thing is as fast as it's supposed to be yet weight is a factor. Your comments?
Secondly I'm not sure what to expect from this plane , I deviated from the plans alittle. built it 3chanel with a Norvel .061 AME , threw away the foam sheeting and used balsa , added lightening holes where ever feasable , used micro servos and put a snazzy 4 color covering job on it. Looks cool but no idea how it will fly Comments?
Finally does anyone have any idea how fast this little plane will really go? Will the big kids blow right by and leave me eating nitro with their Vipers and Preditors or size to size will this plane hold it's own and not be a joke?
Old 04-22-2007, 05:37 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Ace GLH A competitive 1/2A pylon racer?

I flew one many years ago with a TD. The plane probably weighed 20 ozs and it flew pretty good. I just built a slimmed down version that weighs 16 ozs and it flys much better. Can't say if this plane will compete in your neck of the woods, it does OK around here. Expect about 70 mph or so with a decent AME..
Old 04-22-2007, 05:42 PM
mikegordon10

If you keep the all up weight under 13 oz and get a KT12a prop from Kittingittogether, you best be prepared to turn quite often to keep it in site. We race 1/2A pylon aroubd these parts and along with a lot of self designed racers there are some stock GLH's that have no problem keeping up. We race on a 3 pylon course 300' from end to end and complete 11 laps in about 1.5 min. I'm not sure why you wanted 3 channels but we run only elevator and most of the guys build only one aileron. Keep it light and keep yer eye on it and yer thumbs ready. Also keep your control throws low and use expo. Good luck and have fun.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:01 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These are great little receivers, and at a great price. I highly recommend them:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXLBY8
Old 04-22-2007, 06:58 PM
dieFluggeister

I second rainedave's suggestion for the Rx, I use 'em in my racers. I would go with the Berg 4 with the plastic housing instead of the 4L. The weight difference is minimal and I have already destroyed a 4L on a hard bounce because it is just so unprotected.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:18 PM
Toad

A thinned down airfoil on the GLH really helps. slim the fuse too (it is fat) It is a good flying plank even in the fat form.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:26 PM
captken59

Thanks for the input on the Berg , was leaning in that direction and was hoping to hear good reports. Sounds like I built it on the heavey side but we'll see what it does
Old 04-23-2007, 08:07 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Captken...bring it on over to Burlington on May 5th for the pylon races/funfly...and we'll see how fast it goes...Toad you and Mike race together I guess...if you set up a triangle course and the pylons are equal distance (I assume) where are you standing during the race,? at one pole or on the straight away part..seems like that extra added dimension of distance might be difficult to overcome, since we only run 2 poles at our races in 5 lap heats..is that an AMA course or does it matter..I am looking at making the fall meet an AMA event ,We have a CD or 2 among us now......Rog
Old 04-23-2007, 08:57 AM
dieFluggeister

ORIGINAL: captken59
will this plane hold it's own and not be a joke?
I am always amused at other peoples' reactions. Younger guys especially dont give a 1/2A a lot of respect just because the displacement is 1/10 of theirs, but in skilled hands it can surprise (and embarass) a lot of people. Priceless!
Old 04-23-2007, 01:57 PM
supagloo

I am always amused at other peoples' reactions. Younger guys especially dont give a 1/2A a lot of respect just because the displacement is 1/10 of theirs, but in skilled hands it can surprise (and embarass) a lot of people. Priceless!
You mean this? My Littlest Stick (.020 Pee Wee) under a Wilga (8.5 CI twin).
The pilot of the big plane was very surprised that he could make the Stick roll without ailerons. You should have seen the smile on his face as he returned the transmitter..... Priceless indeed!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95553.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	670670  
Old 04-23-2007, 05:10 PM
Toad

The course we use is 300 ft between #1 and #2, then 60ft between #2 and #3 (it seems that 80ft is used more often)then it is 300 feet to #1 again. That is the old std ama 1/2a course. Our races are not sanctioned by the AMA though (we changed the rules to suit the equipment used these days)
This yr, the minimim weight rule was waived so it doesn't hamper new designs. We use the 200sq" minimum wing area rule and .061 max displacement with no bb engines.
no fuel rule.
The rules make for alot of fun, engine modifications, tapered high aspect ratio wings, carbon props, etc. The competition is equal because of the wing rule. We end up racing at very good speeds and innovations are admired.
We like the old school format of standing in the middle of the course at about the 100ft line for the start. We have had very few injuries since this race was started back in '74. (one is all I can remember other than the usual cut fingers on the start line from props and "senior moment" memory) Common sense is the safety net. We pay attention to it religously. We do use Pylon judges at the poles, with hard hats and a shield. Seems the safest thing for the judges is paying attention to the aproaching planes and DO NOT sit in a chair! ya just cant get out of the way fast enough from any position except standing.
Thats how we do it and will continue to do it this way. If the planes were larger, then I can see the point of standing outside the course. But then the fun and rush is diminished for me. I really like the races the Utah Valley Aeromodlers host. It is very competitive yet "friendly" (after the racing lol)
Old 04-24-2007, 07:37 PM
mikegordon10

Not to nit pick on Toad, but the new distance between pylons 2 & 3 has been increased to 100' this year. This was done to free up additional space in the pits (middle).
The 300' from end to end remains the same. We have judges as Toad said but there are no turn callers/flaggers.
This year we have added an electric class with GWS warbirds with a specified outrunner and speed controller. Battery is left open but everyone is running 3 cell 1000MAH lipos. The glow racers do 11 laps in about 1.5 min. The electrics run the same course and do 11 laps in about 2.5 min. The first race for this year had 23 entries both slimmers and leckies.