Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

ace simple series at-6

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

ace simple series at-6

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2003, 04:07 AM
armyrcer-RCU
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ace simple series at-6

must say this is my first small plane love the way it has come together, my questions are it says a thunder tiger gp 07 for the engine will this power this plane well and i plan on using ultracoat for the covering im told this is a low temp covering so if anyone has one of the planes send the set up my way thanks mike
Old 02-22-2003, 05:41 AM
prole
My Feedback: (3)

Default Ace Simple Series

Hey MIke,

Yup, these little guys are great, you'll get a lot of support coming around here saying things like that.

I'm working on a few things right now, one of them being an Ace Simple P-51 Mustang. The kit so far has been excellent. Not much wood in the box but what's there has all fit great.

I started a thread a little while back called "covering foam wings", you should take a look at that and a thread that is right above it called "Ace foam wings". Those were around the time I was getting to the wings and needed to make a few decisions. There was a lot of talk of high and low temp covering and a great post from Bipe Flyer who is an expert with foam. Ultracote seems to be one of the ok ones, I got some Solarfilm that I hope will work out as well.

As far as the engine, I've have a Norvel .061 for mine. Seems like the majority of people who have made Simples have used Norvels. The Norvel .074 is the most praised of the lot with the .061 coming in right behind it.

There has been lot's of talk of the TT .074 here and from what I've noticed people either love them or hate them. Seems like the guys who do bigger engies most of the time like them because they run best on low nitro, do well to swing a big prop for their size and use a standerd glow plug. Which are all good characteristics of bigger engines. 1/2a guys don't seem to have very much good to say about them, I hear that they are heavy and sluggish compared to the Norvel .074.

..but then again, almost everything is heavy and sluggish compared to Norvels if you ask some people

Look a few pages back for those two threads, there is a bunch of good info there.

Good luck and keep us posted on how it comes out...

as always,
t-theprole-
Old 02-22-2003, 11:51 AM
wild fred

Hi, they recommend t.t. .07 as that is what they distribute. my buddy had one a while back, 4-channel w/ norvel .074. took music wire and bent gear like a big c, sandwiched between 1/16" ply w/ a 3/32" balsa spacer, cut a saw slot into wing, and epoxied assembly in. it looked great, flew really good. Watch your speed, and don't put too much elevator throw, as they slow up quick and will snap roll if you horse them around at low speed. Not a problem if you know it will do that, though.
Old 02-22-2003, 01:52 PM
armyrcer-RCU

thanks for the info i will search the forum and find the other threads again thanks alot mike
Old 02-22-2003, 09:11 PM
Chap
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Simple AT-6

The Ace Simple series are excellent little flyers. I have used the following engines; Cox TD 049 (no throttle), Norvel 061 with a throttle and the TT 07. I was most impressed with the TT 07. However after reading all the praise for the Norvel 074, I will have to try one. Let me ask one question though. What RPM range will the throttle on the Norvel 074 give you? On my 061's there is not much of an idle.
Chap
Old 02-22-2003, 10:09 PM
wild fred

my 074 runs like a big engine, ticks over at idle, run a 7-3 m.a.s. it has same carb as .061, which means the carb to disp. ratio is greater. more torque. more carb vacuum. same rpm, bigger prop. better idle.
armyrcer; are you at ft Eustis? I was there in 1980!
Old 02-22-2003, 10:31 PM
armyrcer-RCU

yes good old murphy feild is our airstrip lot of guys out there fly now thanks for your input on the engine