Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Changing a 2ch radio to use for 1/2 A plane

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Changing a 2ch radio to use for 1/2 A plane

Old 02-25-2003, 02:29 AM
Lynn S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing a 2ch radio to use for 1/2 A plane

I posted this on the radio forum, but with no answers yet. I thought someone here may have changed an electric power plane radio over to gas power. So here is what I have....

I have a two channel (two stick)radio that came with a Megatech skyvector electric plane. The micro receiver has connections for three servos plus the electronic motor control/battery connection. I have found that the left stick will operate one servo as an elevator, and the right stick as rudder(as usual). It will operate a Futaba servo. I plan to put this in a 1/2A plane with no throttle.

Here is my question........Can I unplug the electronic speed control/battery connection and just plug in a standard switch harness to connect to a battery?? The harness will plug right in.
Or, do I need to leave the speed control alone and have it just for a battery power connection. It has no on/off switch.
I would like to plug in a switch harness and see what happens but I don't want to ruin my receiver if this is not correct.

Thanks for your help guys!!
Old 02-25-2003, 02:46 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes you can do it that way.....or just plug the batt into the receiver if you can and bypass the esc,,, being a micro rx its probably not good for more that 1000 to 1200 ft so dont let your 1/2a get too far away.....it can do a lot more damage than a parkflyer could do......that speed control wont do anything as long as you dont try to hook it up to anything but you should be able to get a batt straight to the rx............Rog
Old 02-25-2003, 02:56 AM
Lynn S

Rog-
I think is has a 1000' range, but I will never let it get that far. My front yard is 600' so all I need is a 300' range. I will do a range test before I fly.
Thanks for your help....just wanted to make sure before I connected the battery to it. -Lynn
Old 02-25-2003, 04:03 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

You probably won't be able to connect a 4 cell pack to the usual battery connection point that's meant for 6 or 7 cells. The battery elimiator circuit, which is just a regulator, will drop some voltage and that could be a problem.

You may have to "inject" the 4 cell power into the servo connections. normal battery harness plugged into one of the unused servo outputs would take care of that.

But first you'd better check to see if any of those outputs works off the "throttle" stick. If it's hard wired to an internal ESC only then this is all a non starter. Or does the ESC plug into one of those outputs? If so then you're all set.

Does the throttle stick on the transmitter allow for centering springs to be added? It's going to be hard to fly if there's no center return.
Old 02-25-2003, 04:15 AM
Lynn S

Yep, the left stick is spring centered already.
I plugged a futaba battery harness to the ESC connection and nothing happened, no servo action. I matched the black and red connection just like the stock one, and nothing happened.
I have to use the ESC with the battery connected to it.
The elevator servo works with the left stick. I got my connection upside down at first, everything seems to be working ok now.

It does have one open servo connection that is not operated by the radio. The ESC will unplug just like a servo.
Old 02-25-2003, 05:42 AM
Lynn S

Default It Worked!!!!

BMatthews--

It worked!!!

I plugged the Futaba battery harness into the unused servo connection and it works fine. I unplugged the ESC ,don't need it now. Now I have an on/off switch and can connect the proper size battery. I have the AA alkaline on it now.

Thanks a million!!
Old 02-25-2003, 07:22 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Perfect. That's what I was trying to explain but perhaps I didn't say it just right. Anyhow it sounds like you have a radion with a mission now...
Old 02-25-2003, 03:51 PM
Lynn S

BMatthews-
I didn't catch what you said about the servo connection at first then I reread your post. You had it right. It was a kick to see everything work with the other battery and switch harness connected. The ESC is as large as the receiver, and I don't need it.
It sure is great to be able to find out what will work on this forum.
Thanks again- Lynn
Old 02-26-2003, 03:25 AM
KS_Pyro
My Feedback: (4)

If you convert that 2 stick radio to a single stick, you'll probably find it easier to fly with.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	58473_28187.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	36257  
Old 02-26-2003, 04:58 AM
Lynn S

I need to learn new skills anyway. Keep the old left/right brain up to snuff.
I remember reading about a guy that learned how to fly with up and down reversed. He thought pulling back on the stick was down and pushing forward was up, so he set up his plane that way. I guess it worked for him.