Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

old mags

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 12:09 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default old mags

I started in rc back in the early 90's and pretty much gave up until this past spring with the advent of parkflyers......so anyway for the design contest I decided to go downstairs and look through some old mags (picked my design out of a new one though) and as I start to pay attention to the ads some of the prices arent really all that different than they were 10 years ago.... the other thing is there/were a lot of companies that no longer exist , radio manf....engine manf....lots of kit co's.......and this was way before there were any www.anyfreakinthing.com's to look up.... so how many of you are old enough to remember my avatar Astroboy?

Rog

hahahaha okay I have to fess up here,, I had no idea that was actually a website.....
Old 02-26-2003, 12:28 AM
matchlessaero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I love old mags.

I started my collection in the early eighties. I love how technology has progressed, but I miss the cottage industry that used to serve the small crowd. Guys like Charlie's RC Goodies, the 'old' Ace, Kirn stuff, and the line that Kustom Kraftsmanship had in the eighties. Lots of neat stuff.

There is a LHS that collects old mags, and sells them for a buck each. I stop by there every month or so and buy $5 worth. The very early Model Aviations are great reading, and full of wonderful tricks, hints and ideas- many long forgotten.
Old 02-26-2003, 03:35 AM
goldguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default old mags

Save those old mags, they may help finance that next computer radio.

I had a collection, which encluded the first 10 years of RCM in mint condition. I did some house cleaning because of a transfer by my employer and decided to give them to the local club for their library.

A few years later I saw an add in RCM..........."wanted, the first 10 years of RCM complete, will pay up to $1,500"!!!!!!!!
Old 02-26-2003, 04:44 AM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default old mags

I used to watch astro-boy. Dont tell anyone!

I havent thrown out any of my model mags, ever! STarted collecting them at age 7 and now I have lots... from the 30's on up.

I just bought a pile of aeromodellers off my buddy. Allways a new thing to learn no matter how long you have been at it.

Andrew
Old 02-26-2003, 05:40 AM
Lynn S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default old mags

I remember looking at the radio ads back in the late 60s. Kraft radios started at over $500!!! that was a ton of money back then. (Color tvs were around $1000 back then too) One ad was for a Cannon radio(with a good looking chick) for $400 ...that sounded a lot better. I sold my drum set for $400 and bought a Micro Avionics radio. That transmitter must have weighed 4 lbs.
I wonder what the Cannon girl looks like now?