Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cox .049 Dragonfly

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 02:10 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cox .049 Dragonfly

I have a Dragonfly engine that I'm having trouble with. Every time I get it to run, 2 seconds, it develops an air leak between the crankcase and the tank. Is this a common fault? I tried retighting it to no avail, so I put some Hi-temp RTV on it in hopes that will seal it, I'll test this later today to see if it worked.
Old 02-26-2003, 04:17 PM
DICKEYBIRD

The Dragonfly was (I thought) the perfect engine when they first came out. It may just be me and some kind of bad Ju-Ju but I've had a lot of trouble getting them to run steadily.

If you're having trouble with case/tank leakage, did you flatten the rear of the case with some 600 wet/dry paper on a piece of glass to remove the lumps around the tapped holes? This has to be a standard procedure on all reedies to get them to seal. I assume you're using the paper gasket as well? It seems like they stopped using the paper gaskets later on but I think they're mandatory.

Also, I think the venturi opening is too large for consistent running on the D/Fly. Fellow Cox-a-holic buddy Lester Goldsmith came up with a cure that seems to smooth 'em out. He stuffs a short length of medium (I think) silicone tubing down into the venturi opening which reduces the dia. enough to really improve suction. I've had a couple of 'em with a good TD piston/cyl. installed that would really scream at enough revs to properly use that big venturi opening but they were still very touchy. I gave up and switched back to detuned TD's for my sport flyers.

HTH!
Old 02-26-2003, 05:40 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Dickeybird
Thanks for the info. I already used the RTV, but if that doesn't fix it I'll do the 600 paper thing.

I modified the throttle muffler, I'm going to run it bare, then with a stock muffler, then my modified muffler. I may be able to barrow a db meter to get sound readings to go with my tack readings. I still have to turn a exhaust outlet for my muffler, I'm hoping the flexible body will help quiet down. Any idea on how big the exhaust outlet should be?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	58596_3337.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	36414  
Old 05-19-2012, 03:51 AM
loverofyahshua

Default RE: Cox .049 Dragonfly

After countless hours of Cox Drangonfly 049 R&R, I discovered a CRACK, in the Suction nipple Area. No way the engine could pull any nitro fuel. Then I switched to WHITE Dragonfly 049 style. Then, I discovered a leaky rubber seal on the needle valve. Now, at least it runs continuouly. I hope to get the muffler throttle to work, and then a diesel conversion. After that, I will use a diesel with a carburetor. Hope for the best.