Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Ultrafly Cessna Wings for $5 (SOLD OUT)

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Ultrafly Cessna Wings for $5 (SOLD OUT)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 03:49 PM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultrafly Cessna Wings for $5 (SOLD OUT)

Seems like a good deal, especially since I paid $12.43 for mine when I ordered my "spare" Little Extra just last week!
They are EPS (Expanded Bead Polystyrene) & will need "stiffening" (i.e. strapping tape) for IC use.
Dave
(Link removed, they seem to be sold out now.)
Old 05-18-2007, 04:42 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Ultrafly Cessna Wings for $5

Thanks for showing that, I can see making flying wing combat planes out of those.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:40 PM
Sneasle

looks interesting... I can't wait to see the frankenstiens that come from these.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:14 PM
rainedave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave, that's a real find. Thanks.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:27 AM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is a screamin' deal!
Just last week I looked at that same set and thought it a very good deal for $12.43. Methinks me need to hustle up an order for Tower just so I can take advantage.

They have the drooped tips don't they? Can you describe the overall airfoil for us?

Robert
Old 05-19-2007, 10:05 AM
fritzke

Yes, droop tips, they are just a bit over 1.5" thick at the root.
Bottom of wing has a micro-servo cavities and a channel for the leads.
Airfoil is a semi-symetrical, very ACE wing like. Flaps can be made operational as well.
I may be getting some more to play with myself. They are pretty nice.
Dave
Old 05-19-2007, 11:04 AM
build light

I have done a little more research into this plane and found that the fuse is also on sale for the same price.

I am starting to think twice about these wings, even at this wondrous price.
The RTF weight for this plane is about 27 ounces??? It has been my understanding that a speed 400 sized plane is about that for an .049. I can imagine flying an .049 plane at that weight but just barely! That goes for the plane flying at that weight! I have seen videos of this plane and it does seem to fly well but now I understand the nicety (is that a word?) of having flaps as an option. Oh, there is wing area enough to carry this much weight it seems and to do that well but I prefer my planes a little lighter! Because the 400 motor is meant to be geared at 3:1 makes a difference as well for available power.

Makes me wonder how dense and just how much these panels weigh? I have a feeling I may be a little unhappy with them if I do get some.

Dave thanks for the description. They sond really nice and I do like the molded in details the wing has.
I will mull this over some more and probably wait too long and they will run out... I was considering heavily on getting 2 or 3 fuses and 4 or 5 sets of wings for this price but this weight thing is really bugging me. Also since if I did get these, I would have no cowls nor landing gear . There is also a part listed as a wing/fuse joiner no longer available. I would need that to make the best of these pieces. For all this I would be much better off scratch building. Or so I am telling myself for now.

I read several reviews and a build thread and have been impressed overall with the quality and nice things people say about Ultrafly.

Robert
Old 05-19-2007, 01:32 PM
fritzke

I just weighed the wing panels, they are 2.75 oz per pair. I think with strapping
tape they will hold up to a .10 or a sport .15 even. I am going to make an HB .12 power
Agwagon I think.
Dave
Old 05-19-2007, 01:45 PM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

To add to the excitement, you can also get the entire airframe for $37 including everything but the motor/speed controller included with the more expensive version. All hardware is included at this price...

Also, the 27 oz weight quoted includes a 7-9 oz NiMH (not Li-Po) battery. A nitro version should weigh considerably less.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:42 PM
build light

Wow BTerry, that is a bunch of unneeded weight in such a power source. This has me more encouraged.

I may go with the wings and forget the fuse. Although the (nearly) complete kit is sounding attractive at this point. I have to admit that a couple or three years ago I was cosidering getting the complete kit till I found out how much it was! As nice as this plane is touted to be I felt I could have as much fun with a box full of foam costing much less. The decals included are pretty sweet in case you haven't seen them. See poor quality pic below.

As a matter of fact My last order from Tower (last week) I bought one of the GWS Pico Cub F kits for $14.19 This has almost a complete plane in the kit (I do love a deal!) It lacks the motor, landing gear and wheels but does include the gearbox for the motor! Go figure why the gearbox is included... I am glad it is part of the deal More for the money! Plus nice decals too!
Now I need to find a can of cheap spray paint that won't eat it up alive. Acrylic is the way to go I am told.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHCJ7&P=7

Dave, thanks for the weight on the wing panels. I wouldn't call them super light but the weight seems reasonable. And think of the build time saved! OOPS! I bet you already have!

Robert
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38936.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	687341