Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

norvel .061

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 09:00 PM
armyrcer-RCU
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default norvel .061

alright guys im back i have gotten a norvel .061 as a present from my wife as this is my first small scale how far forward is the engine on the mount it has a small muffler and touchs the back of my firewall if i move it forward the engine would be secured with all four screws to the engine mount but the first two would be pushing it close to the front, plus im being told from my lhs that ultracoat would not work on my foam wings as i have a ace simple series at-6. what is the proper temp range for these wings i have seen threads before but no one has talked about the temp range i have a temp gauge for my iron. no the tricky part my plans call for a 2 ch with two servos but i have throttle on my engine and it looks pretty tight with the servos im going to put in there which i just bought a gws flight pack those where the smallest set of servos my lhs had and would work as two but if someone out there has put three in theirs let me know i was thinking about putting the aileron servo in the wing well thats should be enough for right now thanks for the help guys mike
Old 02-27-2003, 10:13 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default norvel .061

Just keep a business card thickness or two of clearance in there to prevent vibration abrasion to the mount.

Lower temperature films like Econokote should work on the foam. Sneak up on the temerature for adhesion. Just enough to do it without melting the foam.

You don't need to be able to hold a dance in there after the gear is in. It either fits or it doesn't. If it doesn't and you're using small gear like this then move things around until it fits.
Old 02-27-2003, 11:06 PM
Chap
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Norvel 061

I use ultracoat all the time on foam. Just start with your iron at around 150 and be very, very careful with your heat gun, you will burn the foam before you melt the covering.
Chap
Old 02-28-2003, 12:56 AM
wild fred
My Feedback: (3)

Default norvel .061

how many pix do you want to see of ultracoated ace foam wings? my ultimates, edge(extra), giles have all been posted here, all are ultracoated ace foam wings! most have hinges (continuous) made from same material! I have had good luck externally mounting the servos but in my new cap, which has a simple series fuse, I put all four servos in the fuselage; is very tight.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	58969_19598.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	36707  
Old 02-28-2003, 01:16 AM
armyrcer-RCU

Default norvel .061

thanks for the pix and input where at fort eustis were you at in the 80's
Old 02-28-2003, 01:39 AM
wild fred

Default norvel .061

I went to the u.s. army airplane repair school there; u-8, u-21, mohawk. we were at the barracks there, but class was at the airfield. I spent most of my free time at the craft shop there, left several planes hanging there when I left! Boy, it was a long time ago! was 18 then. flew mostly c/l then, but had a gentle lady w/ a golden bee in the nose; still got some pix of it somewhere. I do remember the above ground steam pipes running everywhere!
Old 02-28-2003, 01:46 AM
armyrcer-RCU

Default norvel .061

yeah it has changed the craft shop is no longer here all the steam pipes are gone along with the boiler buildings they have done alot around here for improvement along with the flying of model aircraft they seem to be helpful in finding places for us to fly here ,some fly out at the airfield and then murphy field no club on base but just a group of people getting together on the weekends.
Old 02-28-2003, 01:56 AM
wild fred

Default norvel .061

that's the most fun, as long as frequency control is used!