Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Receiver/flaperon issue with Kamdax Mig glow

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Receiver/flaperon issue with Kamdax Mig glow

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 10:33 AM
jtroy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Receiver/flaperon issue with Kamdax Mig glow

Hello all...long time since i have posted but I have a problem I think only you guys can help me with...

I am using a GWS 6-channel micro receiver in my Kam R-6NII/H (Futaba) finally got the Mig put together (no flights yet) with a Futaba TEXA 6-channel transmitter. I decided to set it up with Flaperons which you all know means plugging the left aileron into channel 6 for flaperon mixing. Everything on the trans. it set up fine. With my GWS receiver that means using the splitter on channel 6 since it acts as the battery terminal on the GWS receiver. When I do that the left aileron will not work---right one acts fine and works with the flaperon mix as well.

Thing is---when I first did this everything worked fine---flaperon, and both ailerons worked perfectly. I noticed that there seemed to be an issue with the splitter when it quit working and I could "jiggle" it and get it to work for a second....nothing now....tried another splitter...same issue.

So, I took my regular 6-channel receiver from Futaba so that I could plug everything into the correct channel without using a splitter and same issue.

Any ideas??? I'm just at a loss. I have tried doing everything I can to figure this out and am just at a complete loss....I've been modeling planes and cars for about 3 years or so and have never had this issue.

So I am at the mercy of you experts here....I would really like to have the flaperons but if it just isn't possible I guess I'll forget about it...it is killing me because we have finally had good weather lately and I still don't have this plane in the air (been putting off building it for probably 2 years now.)

I thank you all in advance for your thoughts...

Thanks,

Troy
Old 06-09-2007, 12:42 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Receiver/flaperon issue with Kamdax Mig glow

It sounds like a bad servo. On the Futaba receiver, swap the left and right aileron servo plugs. If the problem doesn't move, then it's the servo.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:18 PM
jtroy

Hey there Bipe:

Thanks for the idea...I did just that...actually tried swapping left and right on both receivers...same issue. So the servos are totally fine. The thing also is that if you simply configure both receivers for normal usage both work fine---if I leave the flaperon mix engaged on the trans. channel 6 acts like channel 1 which I assume is normal. Either way (with flaperons engaged or not engaged on the trans.) both ailerons function completely normally.

Like everyone else thought, I figured this was a hardware issue, plug, whatever, since I was able to get the flaperons to work at one time. So I have tried different splitters....and whatever else I could think of. At this point I am starting to think that this is a trans. problem which I just cannot believe since this trans. it virtually new.

Any other ideas? Still at a loss....

Thanks,

Troy
Old 06-09-2007, 01:27 PM
Bipe Flyer

You must have a programming problem with the TX then. I can't help you there, as I don't have a Futaba radio.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:51 PM
jtroy

Thanks Bipe....hey there...been checking and checking the flaperon mix on this radio (it is suuuuuper easy...a very very basic trans. that anyone could figure out) so I know that I have it programmed correctly....

A quick question for you though....could this possibly occur if either the trans. or the receiver battery needs to be charged? I cannot find my little receiver battery voltage checker but my radio was at 9.9v. I'm charging them now just in case---my next test is going to be to actually cut off the plugs of one of the splitters and a slave servo (I have some cheap Fut servos I am using as slaves...also used them to test and see if the issue still continued which it did)---anyway, I'm going to physically splice the servo into the splitter and see if it continues. It is absolutely driving me nuts....

I can jiggle the connection between the left aileron and splitter and get it to twitch as if there is some sort of bad connection. Any bad connections I have had in the past have always been eaisly fixed by just getting another whatever I need and using one.

At this point is makes a person totally think that these splitters are both bad (and I have even switched plugs between each other and still get the same issue.) So it is like every female plug on both splitters are bad.

Weird thing is....when you use either splitter to plug both ailerons into the receiver in a normal configuration (i.e., both on channel 1) the splitters and aileron servos work totally normally------is that weird or what? So, when you do that it makes you think that the splitters are fine.

I'm starting to wonder if there are evil spirits in my house....maybe some sort of rc spirit has it out for me.

Any thoughts???? I'm about ready to take this plane (which I have alot of dough in for a foamy) and toss it under my lawnmower. this is the Kamdax Mig with the little Norvel .061 glow engine in it and I haven't even broken the engine in yet....I made a little test bracket to start it for the first time and WOW is it loud!! So, just the memory of how it sounds makes me crazy to get it into the air!!!! Ahhhhhhh, isn't this rc stuff just fun?? Again, I'm at you guys' mercy.

Thanks,

Troy
Old 06-09-2007, 05:10 PM
Bipe Flyer

OK, try this. Remove the splitter, or Y-harness as it is more commonly called, and hook up the ailerons to channels 1 and 6. Unplug the throttle servo and plug the battery in there. What happens?
Old 06-09-2007, 09:48 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I can't add any advice about the flaperon issue, but will say that the GWS RX should only be used for static display models. That cheap little POS will end up being the most expensive RX you ever bought. Get a Berg RX and save yourself headaches, grey hair and last but not least, money in the long run.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:28 PM
air-madness

Better yet, get a Hitec micro 6S receiver -- only 30 bucks and it has a mega range on it. I am willing to bet that the GWS will fry out if he puts current through a channel (throttle) that isn't intended for current. Could be why he hasn't popsted a response yet
Old 06-10-2007, 08:18 PM
combatpigg

I've seen the sparks from a BIC lighter cause a GWS RX to glitch [] and I've also seen a GWS RX try to imitate a BIC lighter [now that one is true]. If I follow what has transpired here correctly, it sounds like his problem is at the sending end.

I don't ever recall reading what any RXs' power handling capabilities are. Never seen the rating on any label or in any instruction manual.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:31 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

I've got the same TX, and it ain't so simple! Thing to do is go into programming and reset than model in the memory and start fresh. It could be any number of obscure settings causing unexpected things to happen. Isn't there two things you need to do to get flaperons to work? I'm pretty sure there is. To bad I'm 300 miles away from home or I might could be more help.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:45 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Oops, I've got the T6XAS. Still, it might be best to reset that model and start over.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:50 PM
Bipe Flyer

ORIGINAL: air-madness

Better yet, get a Hitec micro 6S receiver -- only 30 bucks and it has a mega range on it. I am willing to bet that the GWS will fry out if he puts current through a channel (throttle) that isn't intended for current. Could be why he hasn't popsted a response yet
The power bus is connected to all channels on an RX. It doesn't matter which one the power is connected to.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:58 PM
Bipe Flyer

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

I've seen the sparks from a BIC lighter cause a GWS RX to glitch [] and I've also seen a GWS RX try to imitate a BIC lighter [now that one is true]. If I follow what has transpired here correctly, it sounds like his problem is at the sending end.

I don't ever recall reading what any RXs' power handling capabilities are. Never seen the rating on any label or in any instruction manual.
A receiver can handle more power than servo wires. The power to the servos doesn't go through any electronics in the receiver.

I've got 4 GWS receivers and I can pretty much make them glitch on command by pointing the antenna directly at the plane at the right distance, or flying down the runway when a few other people are flying. I only use them for slowish electrics weighing under 8oz. I have a couple of Bergs, which are excellent. I'd be comfortable using them in any size model.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:01 PM
combatpigg

I haven't looked at many RXs, but the power busses I've seen only looks like pins that are soldered to a wispy circuit board trace.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:52 PM
air-madness

Not entirely true, for all receivers that is. Perhaps on the GWS it may hold true. I have actually fried out an Airtronics 3 channel land use receiver by thinking the exact same thing -- it didn't work. I gave a receiver to my bro-in-law (Megatech 4 channel air use, 72 mhz) it too fried out because he really didn't, and still don't, know anything about rc stuff. When I inspected his rig on a little park flyer I noticed that the power was ran through the plainly vissble wrong input. If this has been a common practice (the power supply being bussed across the entire end) I would like to hear more about which receivers have shorted out. Those who assume have been lucky to still have functioning receivers.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Bipe Flyer

ORIGINAL: air-madness

Not entirely true, for all receivers that is. Perhaps on the GWS it may hold true. I have actually fried out an Airtronics 3 channel land use receiver by thinking the exact same thing -- it didn't work. I gave a receiver to my bro-in-law (Megatech 4 channel air use, 72 mhz) it too fried out because he really didn't, and still don't, know anything about rc stuff. When I inspected his rig on a little park flyer I noticed that the power was ran through the plainly vissble wrong input. If this has been a common practice (the power supply being bussed across the entire end) I would like to hear more about which receivers have shorted out. Those who assume have been lucky to still have functioning receivers.
It is not an assumption, it is a fact. Old style Airtronics have a different pinout that other receivers. Plugging power in wrong is completely different from plugging the power into a different jack on the receiver. Take a look at the Airtronics plug on the left and the JR on the right. Notice that the + and - are reversed. The other picture shows the inside of an Airtronics receiver where you can see that the power leads are all connected - how else do you think power would get to the servos?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95495.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	702406   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt60388.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	702407  
Old 06-11-2007, 10:12 PM
Bipe Flyer

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

I haven't looked at many RXs, but the power busses I've seen only looks like pins that are soldered to a wispy circuit board trace.
The combined draw of all the servos goes through the receiver's power bus.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:51 PM
combatpigg

When you consider that some planes are set up with more than one large servo per channel, you can see why some of them use an auxillary bus.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:07 AM
Bipe Flyer

That's right. They're using heavy duty servo wires too.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:48 AM
jtroy

Hello everyone:

Sorry I haven't followed up with a reply sooner...things got busy and I basically forgot about the little plane until a couple of days ago.

Anyway...I cleared out the model information and started over....I noticed that for model #1 there wasn't an option for elevon mixing...so I went over to model #2 and noticed that I was able to choose elevon mixing if I wanted to (not that it has anything to do with this problem...just an observation I thought I might point out.)

At any rate, everything works totally fine now. I don't have a single clue as to how this could have happened....it certainly is a very simple trans. when you compare it to what is out there currently.

So, I have the flaperons and I'm ready to go....I'm actually quite excited to get this little guy in the air....the online videos you can find posted over the Internet make this little plane look really cool. I do honestly appreciate all of you guys taking the time to answer this post and for sharing your knowledge in rc. This is such an invaluable place to come to for any sort of information about nearly everything rc. I just feel lucky to have had this much response to the post.

As for the GWS receiver...it is almost like these Kamdax Migs were set up specifically for this rx. I have a new Futaba R124F rx that I was going to use for this plane but I didn't think to order servos with the smaller "micro" plugs or adapters. I assume that there are adapters you can buy out there...I just didn't want to take the time to hunt them down. So I'll give this GWS a try...if it craps out on me right off the bat then I will know to try something else. I have seen some flat out crazy setups for this little plane.

Again, I thank all of you that helped me out....I was truly at my wits' end. Problem solved at this point

Regards,

Troy