Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

1/2A Info Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 10:33 PM
mrlikescheese

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/2A Info Needed!

I dont know anything about 1/2A RC airplanes but i have a 40 size trainer, but ive never seen a 1/2A plane fly before. I would like to build one of those little boogers, but i dont know where to get plans and kits and 1/2A motors or even just to get information on getting started with them. But i want to get everything for as cheep as i can. Please give me some links or something!
Old 06-28-2007, 07:11 AM
Jburry

Default RE: 1/2A Info Needed!

Some half a kits are avialable from many major manufacturers. Browse this forum, you'll find a few. Herr Manufacturing (Sig) makes a line, there are many others.

For half a engines, not alot of choice there right now. AP Wasp .061 is probably the only cheap one out there without going somewhat more exotic. There are threads here on it too, especially about what must be done to get a relatively long lived reliable engine out of it. Norvel is dead unfortunately.

Half-A is really fun, and it's convenient not having to unmount the wing every time you want the plane in your car... And the engines scream like little crack addicts, gotta love 20k+ rpm!

There's a recent thread here about good beginner half a kits... Have a look.

J
Old 06-28-2007, 07:34 AM
digital_trucker

Welcome to the dark side, muahahahaha
Old 06-29-2007, 02:55 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's a 1/2A trainer, if you want to build from plans. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2301186/tm.htm
Old 07-12-2007, 12:16 PM
mrlikescheese

what would be a good 1/2A aerobatic plane?
Old 07-12-2007, 08:04 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's one I designed that could be called aerobatic.

David
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53083.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	721741   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg14826.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	721742  
Old 07-12-2007, 08:13 PM
Rick W
My Feedback: (20)

[&:]

Rainedave,

OUTSTANDING!!!!!

Rick
Old 07-12-2007, 08:51 PM
bsteckler

That is perhaps the gorgeous plane that I have seen in years! What are your plans for this? Kit? Plans?
Old 07-12-2007, 09:09 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks y'all. PM me about the kits, plans, etc.

David
Old 07-13-2007, 01:32 AM
tangerine-jack

I started out with 1/2A in the early '80s when it was a large sector of the RC world. Now it accounts for maybe 5-10% of the hobby. I've had many larger .40-.90 sized planes with up to 7 channels, but I always return to my roots. There is something magic about these planes that can't be put into words.

Seeing one fly is interesting, but they fly just like the larger planes for all practical purposes, given similar wing profiles and such. Seeing one crash, cartwheel into a bush, then have the pilot dust it off, refuel it and fly it again minutes later, IS interesting. You never see that with a .40 sized plane! And yes, you can put 4 or 5 of the 1/2A planes in the trunk of your car and drive around until you see a nice school yard or other small park to fly in.

Lots of ways to skin the 1/2A cat. There are many, many easy to build plans available through forum members or the Carsten plans library (from Flying Models or MAN). It cost me on average about $30-40 to build a flyable bird from plans (not counting radio and motor), the average kit runs me around $80 (kit plus covering and misc). Radio gear you should already have, if not then any decent 4 channel set up with micro servos will do fine. Shop around and you will score good prices. Cool thing is that one roll of monkote will cover the entire plane with leftovers.

But be careful and forwarned, a well build 1/2A sporty will out run, out turn and out manuever all but the very best of the larger birds. Not reccomended for the elderly, pregnant, or those with heart problems.