Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Minnie Mambo ready to go

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Minnie Mambo ready to go

Old 07-04-2007, 09:10 PM
bsteckler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minnie Mambo ready to go

First flight of the Early RC Models Minnie Mambo will be this weekend. Great kit...excellent wood, laser cutting and plans. Easy, straightforward build. Highly recommended. Came in at 17.1 ounces, which was about an ounce more than I was aiming for, but the monstrous receiver in my old AM Futaba G system didn't help. PAW 55 (.033 ci) diesel for power which will swing a 7x3 prop, and covered in Micafilm.

If all goes well with the weather I'll report on the flight capabilities of this plane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91290.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	716462   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22317.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	716463  
Old 07-04-2007, 10:56 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Minnie Mambo ready to go

Let me be the first to say that she's a looker. Best of luck with the test flights.

Sadly, I think I see an elevator control horn. Perhaps with a bit of flying you'll be enthused enough to build another and go rudder only.....
Old 07-05-2007, 12:02 PM
digital_trucker

Maybe that's just there to deceive the uninformed?
Old 07-05-2007, 09:41 PM
bsteckler

Naw, he's right...it is a 3 channel. And he is also correct in mentioning that a single channel might be interesting. I haven't flown on of those in over 25 years...back when Mattel was dumping those systems monthly through RCM for I believe $19.95 or so. I still have that old set - might very well be worth a little investigation to see if it still works.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:20 PM
BMatthews

NAH! Do what I did and put in a brand new $250 full featured fully mixable computer radio with 4 bazillion model memory and that can also make breakfast and put out the cat and then put in one lowly servo......
Old 07-06-2007, 12:30 AM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But if you do that you may as well cover the model in DOCULAM
Old 07-09-2007, 05:21 PM
flyswatter

bsteckler:
Don't worry about how many channels it has. It is a pretty plane and it should fly great. Have fun with it! Give us the low down on the maiden. Best of luck.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:01 PM
bsteckler

Maiden was postponed for a very out of the norm reason. We fly at an old abandoned WWII way station that was used by the WAC's as a refuleing and refreshment stop while ferrying warplanes from the factories to the coast for shipment to Europe. Just an old 3/4 mile square slab of weedy concrete surrounded by corn and bean fields that has been abandoned save for us and a few ultralight jockeys. Perfect for us. Anyway, I pulled into the parking area and noticed a number of unfamiliar cars and trucks. Thought that I'd missed news about a fly-in or something. However, out on the pad was an SUV, and under our shelter sat some guys with more computer equipment than Microsoft. I asked one of the guys what was going on and he points to the SUV and tells me that it is an autonomous robitically controlled vehicle that was going through its final shakedown prior to a contigency arriving this Thursday from DARPA, the Department of Denfense's R&D arm. DARPA will be there in a couple of days to look at millitary applications for this technology. I decided that it would probably not be too wise to risk their gazillion dollar driverless SUV by flying my $150.00 bundle of balsa...thought that it would not be too welcomed.

Although none of these guys said it, it was pretty cool to witness a technology that couuld conceivably be used sacrificially to save our troops from those IED's and other threats. More than happy to give up a day of flying.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:34 PM
bsteckler

Flew the Minnie today, and I am extremely pleased! The PAW .033/Mambo combo is just right...the plane flies on the wing just as I had hoped. Capable of a nice loop with a slight dive, and a sloppy one from straight and level.

I was happy with the way that it handled wind - surprising given the dramatic amount of dihedral used. Throttle servo broke during the flight, so I'll just keep it a two channel. I think that was last of my GWS servos - good riddance!

Plane came in at 17.8 ounces, and needed four clicks of down elevator to trim.

Early R/C Models has a real winner here for gentle, kick back an relax flying Think that I'll order their Jr. Falcon next week.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:16 PM
BMatthews

Was there ever any doubt about the outcome? The MM is one of the more highly thought of designs by those that were flying during its heyday.

Still, congrats on a successful maiden.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:54 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats! It's a great looking bird. I see you even have a Grish on it. BTW, who designed the MM?

David