Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Norvel/Wasp muffler

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Norvel/Wasp muffler

Old 07-06-2007, 09:17 PM
digital_trucker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Norvel/Wasp muffler

This wire-clip business is just plain silly. Has anyone figured out a way to actually attach a muffler or header to the .061 in any meaningful way? Mr. Hypercolor dude, I can design a header that'll clamp on, but I lack the tools to make one. PM me if you're interested in adding to your line.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:00 PM
tewitt1949

Default RE: Norvel/Wasp muffler

Hi. I just fired up my wasp .061 and I noticed that little wire holding the muffler on. Has there been a problem with it? I did notice that it leakes unburned oil. Does the muffler stay on ok in flight?
Old 07-06-2007, 10:01 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be interested in seeing this.

The thing that bugs me more than the clip is the fact that the back section of the muffler always rotates when the engine is running. It always rotates so that the nozzle is pointing right down into the engine compartment of my planes, thus, continually saturating my firewalls with oil and hot fuel.

To fix this I squeezed the main muffler body slightly out of round with pliers. Now the back section is a tight fit and doesn't rotate (as bad).

David
Old 07-06-2007, 10:10 PM
tewitt1949

I think a little lock tite would also hold it. So you have had no trouble with the muffler falling off in flight?
Old 07-06-2007, 10:24 PM
rainedave

I don't think the muffler can fall off in flight. The problem is that it leaks so much. These things already idle pretty well, but if the seal between the case and the muffler was airtight I bet they'd idle even better (when using muffler pressure to the tank).

David
Old 07-06-2007, 11:16 PM
eroc144

To keep the rear end of the muffler in place while maintaining adjustability, cut a narrow slot in the back end piece perpendicular to the exhaust flow then run a sheet metal screw through the main body and through the slot. To adjust, just untighten the screw, rotate the end, and retighten. I'll try and post a pic tomorrow.

It's easier to put the screw in first and then cut the slot. That way you know where to put the slot, how narrow to make it, etc.

EG
Old 07-07-2007, 12:19 AM
digital_trucker

I'd rather see a good clamp-on header. Would work great with a flyquiet pipe.

I'm considering moving up to .10-sized planes since it seems that nobody can make a 1/2A size engine that isn't 40 years out of date.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:36 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I use .020" stainless wire to help the stock clip keep the muffler attached. Just wrap it around the barrel and twist tie it. Takes about 30 seconds, problem solved.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:30 AM
digital_trucker

Just outta curiosity, would HS-65's be enough for a .10-size? I've never had anything but 1/2A or .40-.60 size.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:16 AM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DT, that doesn't sound very pretty, but as small as something like that would be, it would hardly be noticeable at more than arms length much less in the air. Sounds like a fine simple solution to me!

Still, there is something about the thought of a bolt-on that just makes me want one! It just sounds so right!

Robert
Old 07-07-2007, 01:36 PM
rainedave

HS-81's are, in my opinion, perfect for .10 to .15 size models in the 1.5lb to 2.5lb range.

Why does cp always come up with the easiest, simplest, quick & dirty fixes for things. I don't think the word elaborate is in his vocabulary.[X(]
Old 07-07-2007, 03:01 PM
combatpigg

RD, I take pride in my extreme lazyness. It took many years worth of wasted effort to reach this finely tuned state.
I have heard that clamping mufflers around the cylinder can cause distortion. can't say for sure if it would be a problem here........but for sure it would cost me a Saturdays' worth of time to make such a part. A hard mounted muffler is prone to breakage in a crash, too. The most clever muffler designs rely on a spring loaded retainer, like the Rossi .45 has.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:39 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oops! I meant CP! I gave credit to the wrong guy. Pardon me please. Sorry CP

Robert
Old 07-07-2007, 05:29 PM
combatpigg

BL, that's OK, just as long as the credit for simple but ugly ideas gets to the right place eventually. You'll have to come up with an extra pretty plane to counteract the uglyness of the wired on muffler. As soon as the plane leaves your hand, the uglyness goes away, so just keep the tank topped off and keep the model in the air where it belongs.
For those who fret over the uglyness of APC props, the wired on muffler idea is definitely "out".
Old 07-07-2007, 05:42 PM
chevy43

My Wasp used to spin the exhuast round and round on the test stand but when I put it in my skydrill it stopped for some reason.... The mounting is kind of funky but I don't really see the problem..... Yes it does leak but so what? - the plane is going to have to be cleaned leak or no leak.....

Old 07-07-2007, 09:38 PM
tewitt1949

I tried putting some retaining type lock tite on the end if the muffler that spins and it holds it real tite even after running the engine. I also put some retaining type lock tite around the part that rests againt the cylinder and it sealed it up nicely also. Don't leak oil out now. I also had the plane siting on the ground so it couldn't move and with a 2 oz tank, 6 x 3 prop it ran wide open for 15 mins. Thats a lot of flying on a small amount of fuel. I'm impressed with that little engine. Some of the guys at the field were commenting on the amount of flights and the air time I get per gallon of fuel compared to their 40 or bigger sized planes.
Just out of courisity how much is fuel where your at? Here in Mich a gal of 15% is about $17.00 and 20% is about $28.00.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:02 PM
combatpigg

It seems like 15% has been about $15 for the last 15 years or so. Compared to other things model related, fuel costs are the least of my worries. My .45s "earn" the fuel that they guzzle with the enjoyment that they give.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:17 PM
digital_trucker

chevy, leaking is one thing....but after flying I could swear I'm running a Cox without a muffler.