Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Free plane, now it's gonna cost me

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Free plane, now it's gonna cost me

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 12:05 AM
TCrafty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Free plane, now it's gonna cost me

Just got a free plane from a guy at my field today. He had a Norvell .074 (?) engine on it. I don't know anything about these small engines so... I've got to find an equivalent engine for it (OS .10LA?) so I can try it. I have to put servos and stuff in it too so I can work on that. But, what engine would fit in place of the Norvell? Those mounts sure are small and tight together. The mount holes are 3/8" front to rear and 1 and 1/8" side to side. I currently don't even have anything that fits the mount! I'll try and get a photo of the plane tomorrow.

thanks for any input!

Old 07-08-2007, 12:38 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Free plane, now it's gonna cost me

If you shop around a little you may well find a used Norvel 074 and that would be the obvious perfect fit. If you end up with an OS .10 then you may find that you need a touch of tail weight or less nose weight then with the Norvel. Power wise they are probably about the same overall. Run a 7x4 or 7x3 prop on the .10.

What plane is it?
Old 07-08-2007, 12:00 PM
TCrafty

there was a LOT of wieght left in the plane when I got it. Not fastened in to anything, just floating around in it. There also wasn't any place to put servos or whatnot. I'm wondering if gluing them to the side of the fuse was the norm? i have no clue since this is my first little plane like this. Here are a few pics of it. if anyone knows what it is or has any info, I'm more than happy to listen to it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75590.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	718308   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47866.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	380.6 KB
ID:	718309  
Old 07-08-2007, 12:15 PM
digital_trucker

All kinds of room for micro flight pack (which is what you want).
Old 07-08-2007, 12:46 PM
Toad

that is a modified GLH, the wing mounting is changed. that is a small plane for the .074, the .049/.061 is a better choice. small radio gear and have a blast! they are fast. I am betting he had a .049/.061 in there going by what the mount looks like. THe AP .061 will fit right in there, Dont need the AP carb, but it can be fun to use.
http://www.toadsrc.com/MVC-005S.JPG
http://www.toadsrc.com/04,08,06race%209.jpg
Old 07-08-2007, 01:38 PM
TCrafty

Toad,

that certainly looks like the plane. Next question is, who makes it? I wasn't sure if this was something that someone put together or if it was from a kit. If I go out and invest in a flight pack, it would be nice to know that I could get another one should this one, as they say, "have a near-earth experience". By the sounds of it, even the .10-sized OS LA would be too big for it.

thanks for the info guys and I'll let you know how I make out.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:20 PM
Toad

That plane was kitted by Ace in the 80's. It is what they called a 1/2a pylon racer. the name "GLH" stands for "goes like heck" Many clubs nation wide enjoyed racing them. The plane, in modified form is still competive today. I have seen the kit go on ebay but for well over 50 dollars which is too steep I think. I used to race this thing, but I dont have any plans for it (I looked).
The plane, when coupled with a TD .049/.051 is very fast. With the Norvel AME .061 it goes even better. I dont think the .074 would make it faster but it would weigh more. THis is not a good choice of a plane to get re-started with. They fly very stable but can be a bit fast for most folk to re-learn on. The picture links are from some that were racing last yr at our local races. The airfoil is thinned down from original and the fuselage the same, there are several variants of it that still race and are very competitive..On yours, I would get a norvel .061 some 25% fuel and some small radio gear and fly the hell out of it
Old 07-08-2007, 03:35 PM
TCrafty

Thanks guys. That's what I'm planning on doing with it. I'm thinking that this might be a good one to start with on these little speed planes. Most everything else I own is 60-70 inch wings right now. Ron Ferrer, a friend of mine has one that he built a while back and I've always been interested in it. with the cost of this plane, I couldn't help it.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:38 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ol Toad may not have that many posts but he knows what he's talkin about.....what you need is a couple of Draganfly servos (or eqivalant)(sp?) a berg micro stamp Rx and around a 270 Mah nicad battery and fly the heck out of that thing,,dont know what tank that is in it, but the wasp .061 will fly awhile on 2 oz... an .074 is big for that plane..except for the Draganfly servos..Tower has all the other stuff..Rog
Old 07-08-2007, 08:26 PM
TCrafty

I had tried to get a handle on the sizing terminology on these engines but to me, math is a four letter word. I can do okay when talking about .061s or .074s and stuff but then it gets into .10 (which I ASSUME is larger than a .074?). Is that the way the sizing economy works on these engines. I don't even want to get into the 1/2A stuff yet!!!! [X(]
Old 07-08-2007, 11:43 PM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: TCrafty

I had tried to get a handle on the sizing terminology on these engines but to me, math is a four letter word. I can do okay when talking about .061s or .074s and stuff but then it gets into .10 (which I ASSUME is larger than a .074?). Is that the way the sizing economy works on these engines. I don't even want to get into the 1/2A stuff yet!!!! [X(]
Just curious... to who is "math" not a four letter word
Old 07-09-2007, 03:32 AM
superflea

To answer that, yes a .10 is quite a bit larger than an .074. Just mentally move the decimal to the right one spot then you can call the .10 a 1.0 inch and the 074 turns in to a .74 now you can see that a plane suited for a 10 would be like a 1.20 class plane and the .074 more like a .60 sized only on a mini scale. so yes the 10 is a good bit larger than the 074.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:55 AM
TCrafty

Thanks again guys. It's starting to make sense now. Like anything else, the more time you spend on it, the better it goes. Mr67, there's a lot of four letter words, just for me, it's one of THOSE four letter words. I had an algebra teacher once that just geeked out on equations and stuff. He'd get all excited in trying to figure out the size, volume, circumference or sine and co-sine of something, he scared me.

I've done a little searching on other planes and such because I think the airframe that I've got now has a few good flights left in it but let's just say, the shine has left the bearing races a few years ago. Where else can you find tiny little planes for this engine and radio size? Are you all converting small e-flight airframes to glow or what? And in getting that small, I'm assuming that you can't fly off of grass if you have any sort of landing gear.

This is kinda like knowing how to drive full scale cars for years and then buying a boat. So many similarities that are so different from each other. [sm=drowning.gif]
Old 07-09-2007, 07:47 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Plans for the GLH and several other 1/2A designs can be found [link=http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/]here.[/link] The sticky at the top of this forum (1/2A trainer) has an excellent set of plans for a trainer. There are several plan sets available on [link=http://www.ulmer-rc.com/dotnetnuke/default.aspx]Patrick Ulmer's site.[/link] You should also look thru the MSN group: [link=http://groups.msn.com/12Aalltheway]1/2A All the Way[/link] -- a number of plans can be downloaded from there. Membership is required, but is free.

[link=http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmart.exe/MainMenuFV4.html?E+Sig]SIG Manufacturing[/link], Lanier and HERR make several 1/2A kits. ACE has a group of kits called the simple series -- Quantum Models carried the line, but their site has been down; I don't know the current status, but other on-line shops should also have them.

While I wouldn't recommend these as starters in 1/2A, if you feel the need for speed, several kits that come to mind are the SIG Hummer, the ACE Simple 400 and the Lanier Shrike and Dominator 200. [link=http://www.lanierrc.com/lrcprivate/]Lanier RC[/link] has an intermediate trainer called the Indicator -- built lightly, this will be pretty sporty.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:39 AM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Toad, where did you get that cool Windex bottle that the towels fit over? I want one of those! I either forget my towels and bring the Windex, or visa versa.

David
Old 07-11-2007, 12:15 PM
TCrafty

Well guys, I got exactly what I paid for. The "Free" plane turned out to be a dog with fleas and a mange problem. I figured I could re-glue (stiffen up the wing) again and do some other stuff easily but... turns out that the fuel tank leaks, the covering underneath is now soaked with fuel (sticks about like wax paper soaked in PAM cooking spray) and the fuel tank is epoxied in place. I'm figuring that instead of doing major surgery, I'll just start over. I went out and got a .10LA and have it on the plane now and am using the fuse to break it in but I'm thinking of what other plane to put it in to actually FLY it? I've narrowed it down to either a DNU, one of the small Rascals or there is this other plane called the School Girl on Select Hobbies' site. There isnt much info about it so I'm not sure that it would work for this engine. The wing(s) are a little larger than the School Boy or the Roughneck Bipe but the engine is a little heavier. I don't typically fly at WOT so the larger engine shouldn't be a problem but I'm just trying to figure out which one would be best suited to this engine. It seems to be a little small for most of the "up to .15" sized planes and a little large for the 1/2A planes. Everything else I've got is overpowered so that would be nothing new to me. [sm=thumbup.gif]

The DNU seems to be a fast, zippy plane (which i'd like to try) while the Rascal would match my 110-inch Rascal quite well. The vote is still out on the School Girl or even the Skydrill. Any insights?
Old 07-13-2007, 01:42 AM
tangerine-jack

No worries, Bob Harris Models makes a groovy pylon racer kit (the qwick shot) for about $40. Excellent fit and very, very fast flight. Suggle that up to a hot .049 and you have your hands full. BobH is a forum member, PM him and he will hook you up.