Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

The Definition of Simplicity

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

The Definition of Simplicity

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 10:18 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Definition of Simplicity

Ok, I know this is probably an engine forum post, but we talk about engines as much as planes around here, right?

I have been shopping for a new test stand lately. My J'Tec still works but I never really loved it. No way I'm spending $100 on that really nice one that I can't remember who makes.

I found this one. It is pure simplicity. Easy to adjust and should fit any engine I own. Has anyone here used one of these? I may have to get one, or maybe try to make one.

ebay number: 130134109038

David
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39264.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	722964  
Old 07-14-2007, 10:52 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: The Definition of Simplicity

RD, Great looking gadget........but I don't trust the universal clamp bars to hold a real healthy engine. I'd rather buy a $4 plastic mount that fits the engine and bolt it to the dogs' house
Old 07-14-2007, 11:09 PM
rainedave

No, I wouldn't put a Saito 2.2 in it, but I like the way you can quickly change out engines without having to remove mufflers. I think it's probably safe up through sixties, though.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:56 PM
mtntopgeo
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Biggest problem I've had with generic engine stands is that you can't install the muffler on most small engines before, or AFTER, you mount the engine. You may think that you've got a pretty good performer (on the stand) but when it's on the plane (with factory muffler) you get an awakening. Anyone know if that stand will accommodate a Norvel .061 with muffler installed. If not, then it's "back to the dog house" with plastic mount installed. .................. George K.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:58 PM
combatpigg

C'mon RD, let's be realistic, unless you're Clarence Lee doing an engine review and who knows what else all the time......is this trinket a WANT or a NEED?
Old 07-15-2007, 01:57 AM
chevy43

I like that style too because it keeps the bolts out where you can reach them. I'm going to make one.

I'm suprised this thread hasn't been deleted yet....... This site seems to think that any mention of that place will cause everyone to go and buy everything there and never come back to this site. I got into big trouble mentioning it...... As if not saying anthing about it will make it go away..... Whatever...
Old 07-15-2007, 07:17 AM
rainedave

cp, the very concept of the term "Hobby" is a reference to that constantly shifting gray area that exists between want and need. It's part of the fetishistic nature of model airplane stuff that it can masquerade itself as a need. Our involvement in the hobby can be measured by the degree to which an object such as a test stand can exercise its power to delude us.[X(]

David
Old 07-15-2007, 09:15 AM
combatpigg

What I NEED right now is a great big bag of Nelson plugs and enough free time to burn them all up..hmm, I want a Cyclon, but I need a TD? Doesn't sound right.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:53 AM
skaliwag

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wants and needs have gender affiliation.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:17 PM
combatpigg

Any guess how many women on planet Earth own one of those engine stands? I think I'll get my wife one and tell her that she is extremely difficult to shop for.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:47 PM
chevy43

A nice modification of that for small engines would be to extend the riser block and clamp bar out in front of the bolt so that you could clamp small enines out in front so you would have better prop clearance. I have my doubts that a really small engine would clear if it had it's flanges behind the front bolts.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:36 PM
burtcs

rd:

I use Goldberg units and have a tatone. I haven't seen a univeral yet. Having said that:

I made a 1/2A adaptor that uses the Cox TD bolt pattern out of 1/4 ply. That gets me TD's, Norvel's, Steils and VA's. A one once tank sits in the rear and plumbs to the enine. Just an flat board with an engine and a tank that clamps into the motor mount proper. You can bash these things out for anyting small. Alas, you still have to remove mufflers to mount them and re-install. And of course they get just as messy as the mount and stand. I never said they were perfect.

Oh yea, I need a bag of Nelson glow plugs and a few more Galbreath heads too...

regards - Steve B.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:26 PM
combatpigg

If you insert the bolts from underneath the board, then the muffler can stay on.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:39 PM
burtcs

cp:

Ya, i could do that but I use allen bolts from above and tee nuts blow, just like a wood mount in the model.

regards - Steve B.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:26 PM
happypappy
My Feedback: (10)

I like the design and would have no problem running larger engines on it. Mount it on a board and leave the center section open so that you can get to the fasteners from the bottom side and it looks great!
Old 07-15-2007, 09:14 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Any guess how many women on planet Earth own one of those engine stands? I think I'll get my wife one and tell her that she is extremely difficult to shop for.

I guess that this would be ONE way to commit suicide.....
Old 07-16-2007, 02:58 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

For Cox Reedies I just screw them to a board and clamp it to my Workmate. Then after bandaging the cuts from the spring starter I just throw the board and engine away in one piece - saves time. Nah, I'm just jokin' on youse-all.

I too use the Tatone unit - out of necessity as there isn't a whole lot of competition out there. I did buy one that was advertised not too long ago. Nicely packaged box - of nicely cut - nice hard wood. I haven't put it together yet since its sooo much quicker to do the two bolts on Tatone that is permanently attached to a 2x12x24 chunk of fuel-soaked lumber.

Any small beam mounted engines (like my PAWs) get their own didicated piece of 1/4-inch ply. Yeah, I'm just a wild and crazy guy who will spare no cost just so I can enjoy the "singing" of a small internal combustion engine. I bet I'm not the only one who will run an engine or two - not on an airframe - just to hear their "song". Strange though, my wife doesn't appear to appreciate the joy that this brings me. In fact she once said, ". . . " well never mind - this is a family forum.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:38 AM
Jburry

You're not the only one, for sure. Each engine I've bought has gotten a custom oak or maple beam mount carved out on the band saw, rigged with a throttle and a tank stand, clamped in my smithy's vice or to the picnic table, and gotten it's whole run-in done there.

Actually, I got into this hobby thru the engines. As a kid, I bought a black widow, made a stand for it, and ran it ad nausium on the back deck. Never did have a plane for it. Damn near wore it out. Got a teedee 051 a little later, but never got it running till more recently.

Then I went to a pawn shop, and found an O&R .33, a beautifully made 1950 vintage ff engine. Another stand was born.

That's where the hobby sat for me for years. Then as I trolled the internet, I found out about Norvel and their lovely little throttled 1/2a engines, and I had to have one. Bought it 2 or 3 years ago, shortly before they went ****-up. It ran in the basement, blowing sawdust and papertowels around, or out back, annoying the local rodent population. Finally, last year, a friend gave me a trainer airframe (25 size), then I built an aquastar, then a mustang was resurected, and I'm addicted.

Still run engines on the bench, just to hear them sing.

J
Old 07-17-2007, 04:22 PM
Remby

I knew a fellow who clamped Cox engines to a big, 10 foot long spinning "ride" type of contraption. It was a big, bulky swivel spinning thing.

Clamp the test engine on, fire it up, and step away. Soon, it was spinning pretty good, another two minutes and danger was setting in, everybody was backing up.

All just to hear that engine sing, and sit and spin at the same time.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:12 PM
johnvb-RCU

These are the sort of test stand which are in most of the hobby shops in Oz. They aren't bad except for the problems with large and small engines noted above, plus the threads in the lower block tend to strip out if you tighten it up with any enthusiasm. I drilled them out and bodged in some bolts and TNuts, about 3/16" or 1/4. The small engines clamp okay next to the front bolt and you tighten up the rear bolts a bit more. Haven't lost one yet. I have run .80 4 strokes in it but I doubt I would go any larger than that.