Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

NW Freeflight Champs...

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

NW Freeflight Champs...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 09:09 PM
burtcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NW Freeflight Champs...

Just a brief annouucement.

The Willamette Modelers Club is hosting yet another NW freeflight Championships contest on the 18Th & 19th of August, 2007 at Parker field in Tangent Oregon. (I-5 corridor, exit #228).

I don't know how many may be interested but I'll try to post a map later (I've suffered a catasophic hard disc failure, three at once). It's not that hard to find.

regards - Steve B.

PS: but wait there's more:

You may camp at the field but all camping is dry. There's no food, no water and no electricty. You haul in and out. Chase bikes are permitted on the field, neaghboring fields vary, inquire at the contest directors table. The field is near but not in nearby towns where facilites are available. There will also be an FAI contest held concurently.

All vistors are welcome. Be forewarned that it can be hot and dry. (It could also be wet and rainy????)
Old 07-24-2007, 10:54 PM
NormF

Default RE: NW Freeflight Champs...

Hello-
A few of us from Los Angeles are hoping to get to the contest next month.

What is the chasing situation? Are there access roads we can drive a car on? My wife and I are going to make this an extended driving vacation so we really don't want to be hauling a motorbike If we bring a motorbike, is there helmet req?

Can you recommend a motel?

I do have the contest flyer, but the map is a little vague "follow the signs to the field" Can you give me an intersection I can Google?

Word is this is a fun meet, looking forward to it!

- Norm Furutani
Old 07-25-2007, 11:24 PM
burtcs

Norm:

I live in the area, as a result I don't know about motels/hotels, I just go home, except they are available. I know one guy that chases with a car, Those that have them use a chase bike (motorcycle or bike) or recover on foot. If in doubt call a CD. I know one guy that uses his 500 honda four?!

Oregon does require a motorcycle endorsement, a helmet and headlights-on on road bikes but you probably don't need them as the area is vary rural and not patroled as a rule, you can get from field to field without issue. The laws apply only if you leave the field.

Are you coming for the FAI contest, the NW champs or just for fun in general? And hunt me down and introduce yourself if you come.

Regards - Steve B.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:47 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Norm, it really is a fun event. Much lower stress level than you're likely used to. But when a few hotshots start flying and string up some maxes the competition turns super stiff with lots of ribbing about the "pressure"!

There's a grid of roads that runs all over the area but binos are still a must since the fields are fairly large. Walkie talkies or beacons aren't a bad idea either. There's some barbed wire fences but they usually have a bridging ladder for the first one downwind and it's very rare to need to go over the second fence beyond that bridge ladder. Even with the road there will still be some serious walking needed if you go for the serious maxes. Some of the guys just use mountain bikes but if you try that hopefully the hay won't be strewn around on the fields. When they leave a layer of that on the ground it's almost like grease for bikes of any sort.

I'm going to seriously try to make it down for this meet even if it's just to say hi to the guys. It's been far too long. Jack Scheaffer and I can sit around and time and pretend we're real modelers.... (Oh, Jack will SOOOOO kill me for that... ) Norm, with any luck we'll get to shake hands. Hope to see you there.

There's no lack of hotels in Albany which is about 10 to 15 minutes north of the field. But if you've got a camper there's always a few that camp at the field or pitch a tent over at Glen and Linda's hacienda.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:38 PM
NormF

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the info and the welcome. Hope to see you there!

- Norm
Old 08-11-2007, 05:01 PM
burtcs

Remember, next weekend....I went down and bought a new spark plug for the chase bike.

- Steve B.