Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Number drill bit set

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Number drill bit set

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 04:06 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Number drill bit set

Hi, what's the best online place to buy a number drill bit set? I just got a tap and die set and I can't seem to find number bits anywhere locally.

Thanks,
David
Old 07-28-2007, 04:11 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Number drill bit set

Harbor Frieght sells them for $9.99 for a set of 60.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:10 PM
rainedave

That'll do it.

Thanks,
David
Old 07-28-2007, 05:55 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[link=http://www.drillbitcity.com]Drill Bit City[/link]
Old 07-28-2007, 06:53 PM
Falco250

Hi, check these sites for metric taps:

http://www.victornet.com/cgi-bin/vic...oductlist.html

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/N2DRVS...00000005372825

They have very good prices.

Old 07-28-2007, 07:26 PM
NormF

On buying drills, I think you get what you pay for.

See MSC page:
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF...0&PMT4TP=*LTIP

I would also consider getting screw machine length (as opposed to jobbers length). The drill is shorter and wanders less.
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF...0&PMT4TP=*LTIP

- Norm
Old 07-28-2007, 09:16 PM
rainedave

Thanks for all the info. Very helpful. Norm, I agree about buying quality stuff once (when I can afford to). That's a good tip about the shorter bits. I was drilling an aluminum engine mount earlier to tap for 6-32 hex bolts and the bit was actually flexing slightly. Not good.

Thanks,
David
Old 07-28-2007, 09:26 PM
Andrew

[link=http://www.mcmaster.com/]McMaster-Carr[/link] offers quality merchandise, execellent inventory, quick shipping and just about anything that you might desire.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:42 PM
Bad_Daddy

If you can afford them, get the Titanium coated ones(yellow-gold tone), or better yet the Titanium/Carbo-nitrate/Zinc coated drills (dull dark gray tone). They go through steels like butter and keep an edge much longer. I thought it was just hype until I got to use some at work, and what a difference!
Old 07-29-2007, 07:13 AM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Norm... after having bought and used more than one kit of "import" bits... I finally broke down and spent the $$ on a set of good quality made in America number drills. Worlds of difference. Good bits last a long time and are a pleasure to use. I do a ton of model engineering work and have been using the same bits for near 10 years now. I threw the last set of imports out and my blood pressure went down back to normal right about that time..

AJC
Old 07-29-2007, 03:04 PM
DICKEYBIRD

AJ! Good to hear from you dude.

Dave, I just ordered this set of screw-machine length number drills a couple days ago from Enco:
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PMAKA=325-6236 They're USA made & they'll cut straight and last a long time. I have cheap imported sets as well but they cut over or undersized plus wander off center. Waste of money on the cheap stuff. There are high quality imports as well but how do you know which ones are good?

Enco has a free shipping offer on orders of $50 through the end of July. Just type in code WBJY7. If you get over $200's worth, use code J4HPFS.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:59 PM
rainedave

DICKEYBIRD, that is the best price I've seen for a full 60 bit set. Thanks!

Since I will mostly be drilling aluminum and plastic for tapping (no very hard alloys) I assume the HSS Bright is adequate. For my purposes is there any benefit in stepping up to HSS Black Oxide? I know I don't need Cobalt.

Thanks,
David
Old 07-29-2007, 10:04 PM
cncswiss1

brite is better for aluminum...

and beware of the substrate on coated tools, i have seen a lot of TiN and TiAlN coated "noodles" sold at discount tool places... be sure the hss is hss and not just tool steel. yea they are pretty and gold, but whats underneath is what counts.

If using HSS drills i like Guhring,greenfield, and titex in that order, for carbide ther is nothing better than mitsubishi. (sumitomo comes close, but it aint a mitsy)
Old 07-29-2007, 10:39 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Yep, you get what you pay for. And yes bright is best for aluminium. It's not so important when the sizes get up over 3/8 or so but i've definetly noticed that under that size bright (or a good TiN) is best. Mostly for chip clearance.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:23 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Dave et al,

I just opened my box of goodies from Enco (safe & sound via UPS, imagine that) and the drill bits are awesome. They are made by Triumph Drill co., came in a well built, sturdy steel organizer and are beautifully made. They have a slick, black finish that I assume is "black oxide" but look slightly different than my other black oxide drills. The points are ground with the 4 facet method and are super sharp and evenly ground. Can't wait to get one chucked up and slicing through some metal! Doesn't take much to get me excited, eh?

I scored some Mobil way oil, some cutting oil, a .2" to 2" inside mike, a scissor knurler, some file handles, a 2" travel dial indicator, a box of carbide insert toolholders and misc other goodies as well. Ahhh, I love new toys!
Old 07-31-2007, 04:22 AM
Big Al-RCU

ORIGINAL: DICKEYBIRD

Dave et al,

I just opened my box of goodies from Enco (safe & sound via UPS, imagine that) and the drill bits are awesome. They are made by Triumph Drill co., came in a well built, sturdy steel organizer and are beautifully made. They have a slick, black finish that I assume is "black oxide" but look slightly different than my other black oxide drills. The points are ground with the 4 facet method and are super sharp and evenly ground. Can't wait to get one chucked up and slicing through some metal! Doesn't take much to get me excited, eh?

I scored some Mobil way oil, some cutting oil, a .2" to 2" inside mike, a scissor knurler, some file handles, a 2" travel dial indicator, a box of carbide insert toolholders and misc other goodies as well. Ahhh, I love new toys!
Thanks DB for the info. (The Enco ad didn't state the mfg). Triumph makes a good drill. Does the black oxide finish have a sort of purple tint? If so that is one of their better lines. Their web site doesn't show any screw machine lengths tho, so this might be something they do special for Enco. Anyhow I just ordered a set and thanks to you for the code I will get free shipping too!
Long time no see,
Al
Old 07-31-2007, 06:41 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Hi Al, good to hear from you! I didn't detect a purplish tint; they just look a bit "grayer" than what I'm used to seeing on black oxide drills.

The only disappointment I have with them is that the drill index isn't marked with the decimal sizes and doesn't have the machine screw tap and body drill sizes stamped on it like my Huot jobber length set. It's my "go-to" spot to pick a drill size when tapping. I tried putting the new drills in the old index but they're too short! I'm drawing up a label with the numbers/sizes to stick on the inside of the top.

I guess I must be real stoopid 'cuz I haven't bought real way oil until now. I've had my lathe for 3 yrs. now and have created a mountain of chips and thought that the difference between 20w motor oil and Mobil Vactra way oil was pretty subtle. NOT! Wow, what a difference! I slathered it on last night and the "stiction" reduction was amazing. The SMELL though? Phew, some kinda stinky stuff.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:32 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Ahh yess the smell of way oil in the morning.

The other benifiet of Screw machine length is that the point geometry is a little diffrent and has the point split closer down the web. This makes the bit cut a little more freely. It also helps the bit stay centered which is more important when using a machine (ala lathe, mill) than a hand drill.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:48 PM
cncswiss1

[link=http://www.physics.ncsu.edu/pearl/Tap_Drill_Chart.html]PRINT SOME OF THESE FOR YOUR WALL[/link]
Old 07-31-2007, 01:34 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Thanks! I have that info in my ref. binder at home but it's scattered around in various places. It's nice to have it in one neat lttle package.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:03 PM
rainedave

cncswiss1, thanks for the tables! Very useful.

So, what's the difference between Mobil Vactra 2 and 4? Viscosity? Which is better for tapping and drilling?
Old 07-31-2007, 09:47 PM
DICKEYBIRD

I'm pretty sure the #4 is for larger machines and is thicker than #2. As far as how it is for drilling or tapping I don't know. I 'spect it'd be some awfully stinky stuff if it was heated up! I think it's best to use only for lubing sliding iron surfaces

I use Enco #1 cutting fluid or WD-40 for turning and milling aluminum and "dark oil" for steel....dark oil being the stuff they sell for tapping pipe threads in steel down at the hardware store. It's pretty stinky stuff too. I use the dark oil or Tap-Magic Gold for tapping steel and Crisco vegetable oil or WD-40 for tapping aluminum.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:30 AM
cncswiss1

I'd keep the way oil on the way slides as well, it's not for cutting, just the slides, great stick slip prevention..

as for cutting oil/coolant... kerosene works great, so does a mix of kerosene and oil.. but the best cutting oil IS cutting oil, find a local shop and see if you can buy some, and skip the water based stuff, cheap nasty and will ruin the machine eventually. we use hangsterfers hard cut here in the shop, nice, but a bit pricey for the weekend warrior @ $20/gallon