Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Is wasp and norvel made by the same Comp?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Is wasp and norvel made by the same Comp?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 06:53 AM
tewitt1949

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is wasp and norvel made by the same Comp?

You guys are probably getting sick of all my dumb questions, if so sorry. One more. I've been looking at photos of the norvel .061 and it looks almost exactually like the wasp 061. Is they made by the same company or was the norvel copied? Just wondering Terry
Old 07-30-2007, 07:22 AM
Toad

Default RE: Is wasp and norvel made by the same Comp?

Norvel engines were being made in Russia, or a province of it, THe AP stuff is a clone (copy) made in China
Only non clone I see comming out of China is the GZ, The Old CS, now CS is making their own for companies like Brodack and GZ is made by their own shop from what I see on the net. I am really not sure about the relationship between CS and the GZ except now they seem to be two different companies, With CS making Magnum engines and a few other clones, possibly even the AP engines, the knock offs of the Norvel series
Old 07-30-2007, 08:37 AM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CS is GZ, but it seems to be treated as a separate product line, it seems distribution is handled differently. CS does produce the Brodak 1/2A engines, but not the newest one which is produced by the same company that produces Brodak's larger engines.

CS does not produce Magnum engines. SanYe (SY), formerly South Aeroengine Company (SC), produces Magnum among other rebranded and licensed engines. SY is the likely manufacturer of the Wasp.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:47 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The question has already been answered, but the Wasp is a copy of the earlier ABC Norvel. NORVEL released the Big Mig in Revlite, an Aluminum Oxide hard-anodized coating that is supposed to last longer and run cooler than the ABC version. I don't think they made both the .049 and .061 AME in Revlite, but I may be incorrect.

Perhaps (pure speculation) the "Freedom" plug/head was made to accept standard lock-on glow drivers because the Revlite cylinder fins are non-conductive and prevent most glow clips (except Cox) from being used.

Early Wasp engines had poor quality control so some were poor and some were excellent. I think most now are good. I would check inside ANY new engine for manufacturing junk, chips, residue, etc.

George
Old 07-30-2007, 10:48 AM
tewitt1949

I have a chance to buy a Norvel 061 that is almost new. It has muffler and carb but if it is the same as the wasp 061 I have, I don't want any part of it. My wasp ran good while breaking but after that it just doesn't want to rev up or preform without getting "HOT", then it slows down then quits. Its less than 30 days old. I'm getting frustated with it. Terry
Old 07-30-2007, 10:59 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Terry, it could just need several tanks of richer running to break in right..I think Bsarges wasp was like that..took a while to breakin...Rog
Old 07-30-2007, 06:39 PM
Toad

I have both the .061 and .049's in Revlite AME versions, so. at least I know that happenned
From what I gather on the web, is that the older CS, is now called the GZ because of another engine mfg over there already had the CS tag.
That is what it looks like to me, it may be that SC company that was mentioned, anyway, pretty confussing to me.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:31 PM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

GZ is certainly produced by CS. I see GZ speed engines at the CS booth every year at Toledo. I think that when the CS got a bad rap for inconsistency and rework needed to race, they came up with something to separate their infamous past. CS has changed ownership or management a few times in the past 10-15 years so I'm not sure how GZ comes into play with that.

Toad, that Shuriken on your page is a photo I took.