"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

slow stick

Old 03-12-2003, 11:33 PM
matthewn7

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default slow stick

I was thinking of putting a NORVEL .061 on my slow stick to make it the speed stick. Any ideas? Will it fly?
Old 03-13-2003, 02:59 AM
Bubbafly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default slow stick and norvel .061

If you are talking about a GWS slow stick( foam wing), I would say it would be, at the least, and interesting experiment. I have a slow stick and it appears to be fairly sturdy, as far as park flyers go. The wing is resonably stiff with the leading and trailing edge stiffeners. The fuse, because it is aluminum, would probably support the motor and mount. My biggest concern would be the flimsyness of the tailfeathers. Ideally, the slow stick flies about 10-20 mph at best. When you stick a norvel .061 on it, with the weight of that airframe, you are going to increase the flying speed a Quantum leap for those control surfaces. I would definitely think about strenghthening them somehow. maybe also strenghthening the wings, fuelproofing all the foam stuff, and so on. Do you see where I am going here? I am not saying don't try it, just that it might be a bigger hassle than it is worth in terms of flyablity. Especially, since it is such a delightful park flyer already. Kinda like making a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Just my opinion.

Tim(bubbafly)
Old 03-17-2003, 02:25 AM
matthewn7

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default slow stick

I have built the slow stick WITH the .061 and It is awesome. I will try to post pics later. It has the same flight characteristics and still takes off in under 5 feet. It climbs like crazy and does loops and even some inverted(sort of) and it will hover with talent. The added weight didn't affect the huge wing area. It balances perfectly without fuel, and nose heavy with fuel. It flies pretty fast for a park flyer. I have not had any problems with foam and fuel yet, but I painted half of the bottom of the wing with black latex house paint. It worked out great. The tail feathers were fine, I just added a guy wire between vertical and horizontal stabilizer.
Old 03-17-2003, 04:10 AM
BMatthews

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default slow stick

I can't believe the foam didn't fold up You guys are amazing....... crazy too I might add....
Old 03-17-2003, 06:07 AM
Bipe Flyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default slow stick

Are you talking about this slow stick?

I can't believe it would hold together with an .061 on it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	63616_18289.gif
Views:	6
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	38411  
Old 03-17-2003, 11:06 PM
matthewn7

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default slow stick

If you look at the photos you might notice that I used a 6 cell battery for the receiver, this added weight which was needed to keep the plane from ripping itself apart. I used an old gws speed control to regulate current to the reicever. This is the first time that weight has helped a plane. The plane is very stable and has good handling at both low and high speed. The rudder has extreme throws and so does the elevator. The plane is plenty stiff for the norvel .061(no cox in this shop). It will glide at idle and screams at top speed. The tail did not even need reinforced. It would make a great float plane, because of the extra power it has. I suggest trying this if you have a slow stick, .061, and extra servo laying around. This is the ultimate fun fly airplane. It makes a great nitro park flyer. A great plane for a relaxing nitro flight. Imagine 30 minutes of flight, it is almost too much time. This will be going to my clubs fun fly event.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	63738_16175.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	38412  
Old 03-17-2003, 11:10 PM
matthewn7

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default picture 2

Another photo.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	63739_16175.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	38413  
Old 03-18-2003, 03:48 AM
Bubbafly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Slow Stick and .061

One of the nice things about being a little older is, having been wrong before, it is not so tough to take when one is wrong again.
Great job on the Slow stick. Who woulda thunk it! I am sure that foe some people, telling them something can't, or shouldn't be done is just the incentive they need to do it! Again, kudos on the Slow stick and please post some inflight pics.

Tim(Bubbafly)

P.S. I am working on a 1/2A SPAD, but I am having trouble getting the weight down. Another execise in futility, or maybe a breakthrough? Who knows?
Old 03-18-2003, 05:53 AM
matthewn7

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default slow stick

I should have some in-flight photos of the stick by sunday. Believe it or not it is actually raining in California. Good luck with the spad. I have attempted a 1/2a spad before with no luck. I will be attempting again as soon as the sign shop gets more choroplast. I saw a good design on http://www.spadtothebone.com/ and thought of converting it to 1/2a. It actually has a curved airfoil, that would produce more lift and help your weight problem. Go into spad originals then go to spad pizza. It is a .15 size flyer that doesn't require any special mixing(saving weight). I figure it doesn't need much down scaling. Good luck.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:38 PM
parkguy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: slow stick

New Slow stick buildig service

checkout the details at:

http://sandiego.rchomepage.com/build.html