Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

1/2a Design Contest Relaxed rules and Regs

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

1/2a Design Contest Relaxed rules and Regs

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 03:03 AM
LoneRanger
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/2a Design Contest Relaxed rules and Regs

I wanted someone that knows what is going on to update the rules and regs to this thing again for all to see, deadline date, if we all want to pitch in for a prize, how about catagories and things, also what are the requirements again-

keep this up top of this forum if that is possible.

Please try to keep this thread to information as it DIRECTLY pertains to the DESIGN CONTEST.

Not I am going to build this, here are some pics for you to see, look here is my entry, hey, I have a Question about my contest entry where should I mount my throttle servo?
None of that stuff~

rules, regs, entry stuff, prizes, and the like-

thanks,

LoneRanger

smoke kills, balsa dust heals! A-MEN !!!
Old 03-14-2003, 12:59 PM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok I'll play
it was Soarrich's idea..(design contest) . you vote once (not on yours), most votes win...simple enough (great idea I might add seems like I'm making friends online)

Matchlessaero - "design it, build it, fly it..1/2a down and up to .061 anything else goes" April 1st

Dickeybird-change it to May 1st

Digger made the list- 17 of us I believe

Soarrich nominated treasurer by Prole

Prole -Judging problems (How many prizes) ie 1st 2nd 3rd?

Flyinrog-lets donate $10 towards t-shirts for all participants any monies left over to go towards prize(s) possibly gift cert?

Prole and Digger to design (make) t-shirt after contest to (possibly) include winning design

this is mostly from memory.. I know some folks have already FLOWN thiers so I am waaaay behind... if you have/want changes make them..agree/disagree..jump on in here ..I suggested a cut off date of I think 3-15-03 which is tomorrow so see Digger if you want in (and no one disagrees)

RCU having server probs so NO PICS on this thread

oh lots of other suggestions and helpful hints ,not enough time and space here to list everybody.....Rog
Old 03-14-2003, 06:15 PM
goldguy

Whoa right there....................3-15-3, NOT (my grand kid say that)

Cripes, I haven't even started!!!!
Old 03-15-2003, 12:28 AM
flyinrog

relax goldguy, your on the list and 03-15 was just a sugg for the cutoff for entry.......and the contestants are:

Dickeybird
Prole
Digger
Soarrich
Wildfred
Fastlash
BMatthews
Bipeflyer
Dave Campbell?
AJcoholic (a hopeful)
LoneRanger
flyinrog
Phuffstatler
Matchlessaero
Goldguy
MynameisAARON
Av8rsodt
jtech & son=1
Ryanrink

I suppose I should have used the term entry fee as opposed to donate $10
Old 03-15-2003, 04:21 AM
jtech

My son and I would like to be in on this also with our C/A marathon entry design; its nothing special, we just want to support this group.
Old 03-15-2003, 05:04 AM
goldguy

I just saw the date and was overcome with panic!!!!!!!

Took a deep breath, got my wits back and re-read your post, now I get it.

Some times my addiction to 1/2A gets the better of me.
Old 03-15-2003, 11:27 AM
wild fred
My Feedback: (3)

about the 10 dollar donation/entry fee; I need an address to send my check to if we are going to do that! send us a p.m. with it, or something. It's going for t-shirts w/ f-104's on them, right? Or was it panthers or autogiros or something?
Old 03-15-2003, 01:03 PM
flyinrog

(post # 5)

My son and I would like to be in on this also with our C/A marathon entry design; its nothing special, we just want to support this group.

well jtech and son I guess you got in under the wire if no one objects......not sure what a c/a marothon is but if it fits the requirements ie (scratch built), 1/2a, when was it built? what am I thinkin?! we cant knock a man and his kid out... go to the original post (page 4 i think)" how about a design contest" and read through it and see if you qualify....anybody got anything else???

......Rog

yeah soarrich we need a time frame to send you a check and an address, I guess it would have to be in by the deadline of may 1st

dang i cant win mine wont fit on a t-shirt its too big
Old 03-15-2003, 03:05 PM
Digger-RCU

Just a quick note, A couple of things that need to be decided. Is the vote open to the general population here, or is it only open to the entrants?

- If only entrants than may I suggest that each person gets 3 votes to spread around.

- Is there actually more than one class as some have discussed?

we need to make some choices guys.

-Goldguy! Chop Chop, Or as we say in the Navy "Turn To"
That means get to work! you only have 6 weeks left!

-Flyinrog. If I can squeeze a fullsize sea fury into a picture small enough to fit in my avatar, then we can fit what ever you are building on a t-shirt!! But, maybe no-one told you. I'm gonna win so it will be my plane on the t-shirt

Randy (Digger) Birt
Old 03-15-2003, 03:07 PM
prole

Hey Guys,

I've been gone for a bit but I'm back full swing.

I think the check or MO to Soarrich is good, that will give us almost 200 bucks.

I'll call around, I have a friend that owns a screen printing shop. Since it's going to be such a small run of shirts I'm guessing it will be about 4 bucks a shirt. Don't quote me on that right now, I'll get on it and know for sure by monday.

I'm kinda savvy with the ole Photoshop and if no one objects I'd be honored to design the shirts. I'll start in the next week or so throwing out ideas for a logo. My idea was to have a logo that we can stick with for whatever cool stuff we do, just a basic "RCU 1/2a Forum", with maybe a slogan like "you only say that bigger flys better cause yer scarred!!". I'll post a thread about that later. Specifically for the design contest, we'll put the date and "First Annual RCUniverse 1/2a Design Contest" over or around the logo.

I'd like to do a 3 way of the winning plane as well as the name of the winner and the name of the plane on the back. That might be a lot more expensive just becaue it means every shirt has to be handled twice and two screens have to be made.

Once we get a design, I'll post the amount I'll need and out of the entry money Soarrich can send me that. I'll need everyone to pick a size "L"/"XL"/"XXL" and just send that to Soarrich along with your entry fee.

I will either take postage out and get everyones address or just send them all back to Soarich and a shirt rolled tight and put in a small box will ship 1st class USPS for about a buck.

$4 - Shirts
$1 - postage

That leaves $5 of the entry fee to go to the prize(s).

How does that sound? Soarrich, is all of that ok?

If you have questions of ideas I'll post a thread where we can specifically talk about the logo and the slogan on Monday when I know if this is going to be feasible. My band is going to be in the studio for the day so I can get more done on it tomorrow. I'd like to hear what you guys all think of this.

Until then, it's nice to see all of you...

as always,
t
Old 03-15-2003, 03:13 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Richard Border
409 Thompson Ave.
Middletown, NJ 07748

Please put for 1/2a contest on the check, I'm going to be unloading stuff on eBay soon and don't want to mix the checks up.

If any of you don't have a digital camera or scanner you can put pictures of your planes with your check, I'll scan them, then e-mail you them back so you can post them.
Old 03-15-2003, 04:23 PM
LoneRanger

here is my idea for shirts,

everyone get's a shirt- (hey were all weiners uhhhh I mean Winners! )

1st,2nd, 3rd, and an honorable mention or best runner up should get a bit fancier shirt (with say thier plane featured on the back or something) that says they won "First Place RCU 1/2a Design Contest" same for second, third, and runner up......

I think that it would be realy cool to have a design with all of the design contest entries in a collage all together on every shirt. That a way everyone get's represented! see, (pointing to the very small 2"x2" rectangle on his shirt-) that's MY plane!

LoneRanger
Old 03-15-2003, 05:41 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I like the idea of LR's that we all get a shirt. There's going to be so many cool models but with such a variety that I just can't see us or the general public being able to select a single winner and we don't really have enough models to justify splitting them into groups.

Some sort of computer generated poster with pics of the lot and the winners of each category printed oversized would be great though. It could be a computer file that we print onto a full sheet of glossy photo paper. Those that don't have a photo type printer could get copies through a friend or someone from here in their area could mail them one as a favour or some such.

You'll also see that I've sticky'd this post for any further ongoing contest info. Please use it only for contest related info and questions so we don't plug it up with a lot of model stuff. Post your model progress or model specific questions into a different thread please.
Old 03-15-2003, 11:58 PM
prole

Hey Bruce, thanks for making is sticky... it'll be nice to have it right up at the top.

I think that everyone should get a shirt, I never meant it any other way. I also like the idea of the top 3 on the shirt but the way they charge for printing shirts is by the pass(how many colors and if there is printing on both sides) and the screens (1 screen for each color of each design). I think it would wind up getting pretty expensive if each of the 3 top contestants had special shirts with their own planes...

Nothing is out of the question, it just depends on how much you want it.

If we were to do a general shirt that everyone gets that has the top 3 on the back(or front) in a pyramid I think that would be cool.

It would also be nice to get all of the entries on a nice poster that we could frame and hang in the work shop.

Another idea is to, instead of having prizes we could get shirts made for everyone and have a nice poster made of all of the planes that we could get printed really nicely at kinko's or someplace like that. I think if we have $180 we could pay for shirts, posters and the shipping for everything.

Being in a band I have connections for that type of thing, we could also get some RCU 1/2a Forum Stickers if you guys are into that. That way everybody got the same thing, just that the winner's planes are on the shirts.

And don't forget to include yer shirt size with the check to Soarrich!!!

t
Old 03-16-2003, 12:45 AM
flyinrog

I'm with Prole and Bruce on this one, same shirts for everyone will def, keep price down ,, poster of all planes is a cool idea (last longer than any shirt I have) and , on the vote thing? 1st 2nd and 3rd choices? there's 19 of us with 18 planes (with jtech and son) thats 57 votes ,that might be tough , and as far as classes go , I believe it is "1/2a anything goes" just vote on the one you like the best I guess, classes would be way too tough,we already have , jet,antique,autogyro,sport, probably a biplane and who knows what else.,. theres a few folks we havent heard from in a while so they may have backed out... I guess we will have a def list from Soarrich when he gets the checks.......Rog
Old 03-16-2003, 05:40 AM
goldguy

I like what I see, T-shirts for everyone, a design I can show off at the local flying field, money order to be mailed Monday.

With 18 models, keep it simple, just vote on the one you like best for first place. The REST of you will be winners too, with that great T-shirt.
Old 03-16-2003, 01:37 PM
flyinrog

ok prole should probably jump in here about pics... I'm thinkin 3-5 pics.. 1 flying, 1 with builder, 1 or 2 under contstruction and at least one best view, but if he can do a collage of 18 planes(if there is that many) he would know how best to arrange them and how many we each need
that is 90 pics(@ 5 per ) on a poster ya'll ,

and whether we vote ourselves, or invite the forum with 1 vote we will still have a 1st , 2nd , and 3rd choice
I'm thinkin open forum because we are the regulars anyway,with maybe a 1 week voting period ..it could be a poll if a pic can be done for the poll?

I for one would be glad for Prole to take on the design part of the shirt and poster, with his connections , maybe he and digger could consult and come up with something,,,, I can formulate the disintegrations per second of nuclear fuel rods, but I'd be lost like a fart in a whirlwind trying to screen print a t-shirt..Rog
Old 03-16-2003, 02:21 PM
LoneRanger

"" I can formulate the disintegrations per second of nuclear fuel rods, but I'd be lost like a fart in a whirlwind trying to screen print a t-shirt..Rog "" :bananahea :idea: :thumbup:

that has deffinaetly been the funniest thing I have heard all morning! HAHAHAHA

LoneRanger~ :stupid:
Old 03-16-2003, 10:46 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unhappily, I must remove myself from the list guys, I have been working 16 hour days and weekends (self employed, and we are BUSY) and I dont think I can spare the time in the next 4 weeks to get a plane built and test flown

If I get a last ditch effort going I will let you all know but right now things dont look so good... Sorry!

Andrew Coholic
ajc
Old 03-17-2003, 06:53 AM
ryanrink

i don't think i can really compete with you guys, but if the entry fee is only 5 dollars, you can count me in, it sounds like a good opurtunity...if its not too late to still enter the contest. (maybe if someone changes their mind and backs out, i could take one of their spots?) i don't mean to be a pain, and if its too late its not a big deal.
Old 03-17-2003, 07:10 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

I don't think it's too late to enter, but it's $10.

Don't worry you're not the only one impressed with these guys work. Just do your own thing, it may be a big hit.
Old 03-17-2003, 10:24 PM
prole

Default it won't be the same without you Andrew....

ajcoholic, that's too bad, I understand - I got laid off about 3 months ago and haven't found anything since so if I had the chance to work so much that I couldn't find the time to make a model I might take that offer right now too...( the bank has almost run dry, if you know what I mean)

I was actually really looking forward to what you were going to make for us.

I would say that if it's alright with everyone else, if it starts to look like you might be able to pull it off after all, that you can join in at that point. Just send yer $$$ to soarrich and your all set. You kind of strike me as the kind of guy that can churn out a plane in a week or two.

Keep us posted and let us know, your not out of the running as of yet but don't send in any money until it looks for sure that you can participate.

Is everyone else OK with that?

Ryanrink - The deadline for joining was the 15th, but Id's say that you can join in, I mean it's only two days...

Just send 10 bucks to Soarrich(his address is posted toward the middle of the 1st page) and your all set. Hopefully when FlyinRog see's this he'll update the list.

Unless some one vehemently opposes that is...

t-theprole
Old 03-18-2003, 12:23 AM
wild fred

I, too, would like to see A.J.'s entry, he is a craftsman! Hope you find time. And don't feel outclassed by any of us, guys! if it flies, you are a successful designer! Do it! Even If you don't get first, it doesn't mean you weren't successful designing and completing a flying machine out of your own mind, some sticks, and glue!
Old 03-18-2003, 12:32 AM
wild fred

By the way, you can get a set of ace foam wings, and design all kinds of planes in 20 minutes apeice, and build them in a few hours with them! Worked for the GREAT Fred Reese. He designed dozens of them. how about a star wars x-wing or a quickie canard or varieze or a beercat like my avatar pic or a twin caribou using a straight center w/ taper panels etc., etc, the list is endless, and design parameters easy; I usually use 4" nose, 8' to c.g.,total fuse 2/3 span (24"), stab 1/3 span (12"), adjust sizes to meet span. c.g. 25-30% chord. DO IT!
Old 03-18-2003, 02:24 AM
ryanrink

thanks for the encouragement guys, i'll send the check tommrow if that's alright.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.