"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

1/2a Pylon

Old 03-14-2003, 05:31 AM
Racerdad

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 1/2a Pylon

Looking for any kits or plans that meet the AMA 1/2a Pylon rules. Rules used here in the Northwest require muffled engines, 25% max nitro fuel, and rule book legal aircraft. Airplanes used look like little Q-500 airplanes. I am looking for something a lot slicker, with better wings. May not be anything available, but I have to try. Thanks.

Tom
Old 03-14-2003, 07:22 AM
fastlash
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default pylon

Lanier Dominator 200 laser cut should meet minimum specs, the rules won't allow you to shave much of the plane in fuse dimensions or wing cross section but it is a good start and it is laser cut,there are some others but most are no longer made so you would have to get plans from RCM magazine and scratch build it
Old 03-14-2003, 01:50 PM
matchlessaero

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Pylon

Hey Racerdad, if you are willing to scratchbuild, there are two really good AMA legal alternatives. The first is the GLH, you might be able to find a kit still available in a LHS, but if you can't, several of us on the forum have the plans..... This is an extremely good flying airplane. Fun even for sport flying.

The other is the TaperWing. It was published by AMA. A little wierd in construction, but probably the fastest AMA legal 1/2A pylon racer that was designed.

Take a moment to use the search at the bottom of the forum, and search for both 1/2A pylon, and then the GLH. You will find some more info.

Here is a pick of my own GLH.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	62901_1630.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	38534  
Old 03-14-2003, 02:25 PM
Jeff Leavitt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 1/2a pylon

Hi Tom,

Come on, your funnin' us aren't you? AMA 1/2a Pylon Rules? Muffled engines? As I recall there is even a minimum weight that you MUST use to be AMA legal. Seems to me like the weight was around twenty ounces. Sure, you could do it but who would want to when a 1/2a racer with today's radio equipment can be at 12 oz. ready to fly?

Our club has been running 1/2a pylon for over nine years and we have only two main rules. 1). 200 sq. in wing minimum, 2). Engines are .051 with no ball bearings or tuned pipes allowed. We have 22 registered pilots, 16 at a average race, 9 is probably the least we have ever had to a race.

I'm with Matchless, the GLH is probably your best choice and suprisingly enough is pretty competitive and a good flyer. There is one other that you might check out, the "Undertaker" and it might meet the AMA spec's, we have a few of those doing welll in our club.

Here's a pic of a couple of my racers, the tapered wing is a MH33 airfoil and the square tipped one is a Lanier Dominator with a built up MH33 wing. Welcome to the best kept secret in the RC hobby, 1/2a Pylon! Best regards, Jeff

Name:	62902_10586.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	38535  
Old 03-14-2003, 03:43 PM
Racerdad

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 1/2a Pylon

Hi Jeff. No, I am not kidding. The only club that flies the 1/2a event in my area has been doing it for 30 years. They follow the AMA rule book. If I want to play, I do it by their rules. I know that there is some real slick composite aircraft out there, but they do not meet the rules for this club. So I was trying to find a better airplane than the one I have now, without going through the design stage. Lack of time prevents me from going all out on this, but I do have time to build an already proven airframe. Thanks to all who have replied, I will see what I can find.
Old 03-14-2003, 04:11 PM
TTARK

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 1/2A Racers

My club is doing a 1/2A race series this year with standard plane and engine requirement. The planes are Shrikes and the engine is Norvell 61 RC. Fuel is supplied by the club and racing is done over the season with points earned much like NASCAR. No mods are allowed to the airframe or engine other than removing shims on the head. The only other mods allowed are the choice of using the canopy or not and the skid on the bottom of the plane. This way pilot skill is the determining factor in the race. Prop must be unmodified but you can use any prop you want so long as it is stock. You can lighten the plane but may not modify the design of the airfoil or fuse.

Terry
Old 03-15-2003, 02:17 AM
garymeyers

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 1/2a Pylon

The most popular really fast 1/'2 A used to be the Taperwing with an .049 Cyclone with tuned pipe on it would probably do 130 to 150 MPH who knows? be a bullet !
Old 03-15-2003, 03:12 AM
wild fred
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 1/2a Pylon

yeah, there used to be a lot. the taperwing was the most radical, I never saw one fly, though. back then we flew tachion, glh (not glh II!) hornet, stuff like that. Hornet flew GREAT, I still fly modified ones. Plans availiable through rcm plans. noel roselle design. Somebody was kitting them a while back. GLH a good one, too, but I don't have lead on where to get. old quickie 200 was a good one, too, I think rcm has plans for that.
Old 04-03-2003, 07:51 PM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 1/2a Pylon

Will this airplane with a Norvel .061 be within the AMA rules?

Name:	67954_1820.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	38536  
Old 04-03-2003, 08:59 PM
LoneRanger
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 1/2a Pylon

looks like a little Wonder type aircraft~

I bet that is a hand full with a .074!

L.R.
Old 04-03-2003, 09:20 PM
matchlessaero

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Will it?

With an .061 it will not meet the rules. That class is .049 only. It also must have 200 squares of wing area, so it misses the mark by about 15%.....

Looks like a lot of fun though.......