Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Small Bladder Tanks ?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Small Bladder Tanks ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 08:24 PM
cmopar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small Bladder Tanks ?

Whats everyone using for bladder tanks on on little flying wings to keep fuel on cg ? Ive been using latex tubing badders but
cant seem to find anything thats smaller than 1 1/4 " dia.

Thanks Corey
Old 08-27-2007, 08:43 PM
Yuu

Default RE: Small Bladder Tanks ?

Try "Kitting-It-Together" for those. For low pressure, or No pressure, some have tried baloons or fingers cut off of vinyl or laytex gloves. Search these threads for more info.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:54 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

1.25" latex tubing [X(]? You could make a bladder tank for a 6 HP Briggs & Stratton engine out of that stuff! The fishing tackle shops sell 1/8" thin wall latex. Use a hunk of small, hard plastic tubing as an adapter to transition to small silicone line. Use small tiewraps or safety wire to cinch the tubing so it doesn't leak at the adapter. Try for just a one ounce load to get consistent runs.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:13 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have heard great results using the latex and nitrile glove fingers. Not used bladders myself.

Why is it I feel so uncomfortable discussing small bladders all of a sudden? Uhhh, gotta go folks.

Robert
Old 08-28-2007, 04:25 AM
ffkiwi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lee Campbell of Campbell's Custom Kits sell a variety of sizes of bladder tubing. He lists on Ebay as 'littleredridinghood' .Hank Nystrom of Texas Timers (www.texastimers.com) sells bladder fittings and good fuel tubing-plus one way valves if you want to go down that route (his website is well worth the look)

'ffkiwi'
Old 08-28-2007, 06:43 AM
Larry Driskill

Bladders are generally pretty easy to build and work with after you get "The Drill" down.

With an engine that uses fuel at a slow rate it is important to have fairly low pressure (a thin wall bladder) and a needle valve with fine threads.

Here is a super simple bladder (just tie a knot in one end of 1/8" OD latex tubing) that has about 1/2 oz of water in it.

The 5/8" tubing blows up a little larger (maybe 3/4" - 7/8") and holds a bit more fuel per inch of length.

3/16" material will still go in a 1" compartment and a 3" long bladder will hold an ounce.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53975.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	751650  
Old 08-28-2007, 07:38 AM
cmopar

Well i tried some 1/8" tubing last night and it was thin enough around 1/2" to 9/16" with fuel i
it but 2 ounces of fuel was about 12" long .Combat Pig the 1 1/4"tubing was actually 3/16"with
fuel in already sorry should of stated that and 1/4" tubing is around 1 7/8" with fuel . I might make
two 6" bladder compartments one on each side of the wing and put a t between them to get around
2 ounces may b that will b 2 much fuel for im only running a .061 AP. ill try to post some pics after i
get my wing cores finished going to make a 1/2A combat wing.

Corey
Old 08-28-2007, 06:39 PM
NormF

This is my fav bladder info site. Check out the Perfect connector shut-off.

http://www.clcombat.info/bladder.html

A more recent bladder material is the "Little Red Cap" used for sealing caulk tubes.

See: http://www.littleredcap.com/at_domains_index.html

But for C/L wing I would stay with the latex tubing.