Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Hey Crew

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 07:29 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hey Crew

You boys got your reedie racers ready for 9-29-07??...I dont, but it should be finished this weekend...
http://www.elgintxchamber.com/d/5502091_46362.htm

Looks like the fall funfly date will cancel all ya'lls plans to head down to the Hogeye festival, I think I will go with all sizes for this event and include my own club if thats ok with you guys,,I doubt any of them will show though...Rog
Check and see if this date is ok for everyone...
Old 08-31-2007, 08:08 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hey Crew

Rog,

I'm not sure I'm clear on what "go with all sizes" means. Is it a fly-in (as opposed to a fun-fly) and reedie-only race? Is "unlimited" still going to be run? And would someone I could vote "for" next year please stand up?
Old 08-31-2007, 08:19 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure I am clear on this count either??[sm=50_50.gif]

Is this a "hey guys cmon over and hang" event?
Old 08-31-2007, 08:32 PM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: vicman

Not sure I am clear on this count either??[sm=50_50.gif]

Is this a "hey guys cmon over and hang" event?
Yes the reedie race is 9-29

the fall funfly is open to any size aircraft and is a "cmon over and hang" low key event on 10-27
Old 08-31-2007, 08:35 PM
rainedave

Isn't it going to be troublesome hand launching and belly landing 1/2A stuff if the runway is busy with large planes taxiing, taking off and landing?

I would be ok with up through .15's I guess, but most people look forward to this as a 1/2A event, right?

I think this requires input before any decisions are made. That's my opinion, FWIW.

David
Old 08-31-2007, 10:10 PM
vicman

I can fly my regular stuff at home. I am interested in the 1/2a racing not a fly-in. That said and not trying to ruffle any feathers but I would also like to see it run more like a real racing event with a firm start time. The last few have gotten a bit rogue with actual racing and just kinda get one up if you can.
While I am at it I will also mention I prefer the goat farm field over the swamp and antenna field.

With that I will pass to the rest of the crew to voice their thoughts.

I'm not picking Rog, this is one of my favorite days of the year and I look forward to getting with all of the crew as much if not more so than my wedding anniversary, and I don't think I gotta tell you, that is a traditionally lucky day![sm=tongue_smile.gif][sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 08-31-2007, 10:18 PM
rainedave

Sorry Rog, I didn't see your second post. I thought you were saying 9/29 was anything goes, but now I understand.

I'll, of course, come to the 10/27 event too, regardless of what is flown.

David
Old 09-01-2007, 08:39 AM
Raymond LeFlyr

Add me to the "I'm sorry" list. I didn't know there were two different days involved.

For what little it is likely to be worth, I would be OK with these get-togethers evolving into Small Bird fly-ins since that's pretty much what the last couple 'races' turned into. If you wanna race, then let's do that - and really do it. If you wanna just get-together and "play" that's OK too. By the way, is it only Reedie race or is “unlimited†still included?

Maybe a poll would be in order to see what the Crew is really interested in (and maybe get an idea as to who’s coming). Here's what's the most fun for me at a Rog "do"; I like to see what pretty things Tim has brought. I like to talk to Bailey and Bob and see their marvelous RO oldies fly. I want to see another pretty tissue-covered plane from Dave. I want to see Grace get started on her odyssey. I want to eat gourmet dogs. I want to see who can land closest to Rog. I want to fly anything ‘new’ that I have. I don’t mind having my photo taken holding a plane, a trophy, and a racer [it’s tradition you know ]. If I go home tired and sunburned – the day’s been a success for me. So, what does the Crew think? (Yeah, yeah I know “thinking†for some of ‘em might be a real challenge but it don’t hurt to ask).
Old 09-01-2007, 10:00 AM
Max_Power

You guys are mean!! [:@] Both of those events sound like a blast, but are no doubt a bit far of drive fro me. I Got real excited at the link to the "Hog-Eye" festival, as its only about 30 minutes from home. But then i figured out it does'nt seem to be a 1/2a event at all!! I was about to start building a racer! Well, let me know if the party decides to come to Elgin!
Old 09-01-2007, 10:53 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

A thought about the races. If you guys discover that it is too windy to race around the poles, the next best thing to try is down wind timing runs over 330 feet [1/16th mile]. At least this way there can still be a reward for time spent preparing for a reed valve show down. All you need for speed runs is a stop watch, cell phones, long tape measure and 2 volunteers to record the times. The lifted edge of a hatchback SUV makes a nice reference point for the down wind observer and also some shade and protection from an out of control plane.

Our local clubs' pylon racing format allows a minute to get the planes launched and in the air. Then the planes circle like sharks in the air as the pilots listen to the countdown over a loud speaker, at about 5 seconds the planes make a dash for the start line, which is the pylon closest to the pilots. If you jump the gun, that means you have to fly an 11th lap to finish the heat. Every pilot has a caller who yells out his pilots' name and lap number during the race, this gets tabulated as the race progresses. There is about 5 minutes between heats to get the next round ready to go. The heats are timed, also. This is important because the fastest time is a big acheivement. It would be great if you guys could bribe a non 1/2Aer to run the race, [with something like a dinner for 2 somewhere nice].
Old 09-01-2007, 11:33 AM
dieFluggeister

I like that idea CP. Only thing is I doubt my racer can carry enough fuel for a minute of circling and then a race. Gotta get a bigger balloon!
Old 09-01-2007, 05:09 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

CP,

I'm surprised you said, "...too windy to race (1/2A) around the poles". For me two things: thing one, fighting the wind with a 1/2A model is fun! Thing two, Ipretty much feel that if I could fly any model in a given wind condition I could fly Sheetface or Sharkface - agreed, landing might prove interesting but that would be part of the kick - for me.

And your hot-start format is not that much different than what Rog and Bob have done with a countdown to launch. The only difference is that the planes aren't in the air and everybody launches at the same time but they have still been "pre-started". If it were up to me I'd go for the old mouse racing starting format where you were given the signal to start cranking then the first one to start their engine was also the first one in the air. That would solve dieFluggeister's short tank situation. It means knowing your engine's starting preferences, maybe warming it up for a few seconds. Anybody wanna try that for one heat? Tell you what, since Rog has said he has some extra prizes, how's 'bout one heat with a start/launch format and the first one to complete one lap wins (that way your engine has to start fast and keep running). What say, youse all?
Old 09-01-2007, 06:34 PM
combatpigg

Hmm.,I thought you guys had at least 1 race winded out?
All it should take to complete the 1 minute flying start plus 10 laps is 1 oz of fuel, and that is with a thirsty AME! Total run time is about 2:30 to 3:00 minutes max.
The instant start / clock deal is the way it should be run at a Nats or Regionals, but in real life I think it leads to way more "non races" or "one plane heats".
I think the important thing is to have a schedule agreed upon in advance and live up to it. It takes about 3 hours to run a group of racers your size so that everyone races 6 times, the rest of the day can be spent as a leisurely fun fly, [with maybe some grudge racing thrown in for the sore losers ]. I think 3 heats of each class is easily doable before lunch.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:09 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

CP, the big 'draw' for this group is the Reedie Race remember? Integral tanks dominate (or did until the Sure Starts burst on the scene) but the AME's etc are run in the "unlimited" class. Hmmm, I wonder how many of da Reedie boyz will be running Black Widows/Golden Bees vs Sure Starts/Tim's engines? Might be interesting.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:18 PM
combatpigg

Ray, if you want an integral tank race, the poles need to be 50 feet apart! Who was the first proposer of a reedie race way back when? Rog?
Anyway, racing is done at a pace that might seem too fast for some to enjoy it if there are mechanical problems, that is why it is important to do your homework before race day. Race day is not the day to keep everyone else waiting with your trim problems, fuel foaming, weak battery, varnished reed, etc. 1/2A might take twice the behind the scenes effort that Q-500 does!
Old 09-01-2007, 07:37 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Oooooh, I like the 50-foot idea! Hey Crew whatcha think? Wanna try it oncet?
Old 09-01-2007, 07:39 PM
Mr67Stang

The lifted edge of a hatchback SUV makes a nice reference point for the down wind observer and also some shade and protection from an out of control plane.
When did you come to NC. and watch these guys fly? The one event I made it to I got to see a flourecent green plane (Rivets) with a skull head pilot figure nearly romove Rog's little remaining hair
Old 09-01-2007, 07:54 PM
combatpigg

It sounds like ROG needs to be demagnitized. 50 feet was a joke, but 100 feet would make for some very CRISP action.......
Old 09-01-2007, 08:13 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Shoot, I'm known far and wide for my gullibility - and for trying anything oncet. Let's do 100 feet then. I wanted to try a figure eight race course in my old club but nobody would play with me. Claimed there might be mid-airs. Yeah but they'd a bin kewl!
Old 09-01-2007, 08:15 PM
flyinrog

Hey CP, a year ago at the May meet it was so windy, we had to wait for the wind to die down enough to throw a plane in the air...BobHH was usually first , I think that was when he had a .020 plane in a thermal for about 20 minutes....and the May meet is usually only the local crew showing up so there were only probably 6-8 of us, where as the fall meet last time had 19 pilots, which was bigger than the last pattern contest....VICMAN,, racing for the reedies starts promptly at 09:00 if your not there you cant play..the unlimited race is at 10:00, followed by open flying , the Vicman standup comedy bit and then lunch, then is all up last down, landing closest too...and who can hit the balloon.....the Octoberfest meet is open to any size plane, it is just a gathering ,no events planned thus far.....I have already reserved the swamp field for this year,,if you guys would rather use the corn field for next year let me know, but remember, we had a lot of hits out there.......Rog
Old 09-01-2007, 10:08 PM
dieFluggeister

I'd like to do that event where we try to pin Rog's hat to the pole in the pitts with our spinner. What was that one called Vic?
Old 09-01-2007, 10:21 PM
combatpigg

Rog, if you get 19 pilots, there should be at least 5 guys ready to go every round. In real life, there will be 10% or more who never get out of the starting blocks and should be able to help keep the program running for the other guys as volunteers.
Who's idea was the reedie race originally? My guess is it was either you or Ray who came up with the idea?
Old 09-01-2007, 10:47 PM
vicman

It was Bob's idea as were the trophies if I recall correctly.
The green Rivets belongs to some asian or mexican fellow, I'm not sure.[sm=bananahead.gif]

9 am??? why do you hate me all the sudden? I will need to leave the cave when you punch the clock to start work! Make it 10 please! (3.5 hour drive)

Timing might be cool but not during the race, way to difficult to coordinate by history.

Chuck, you coming out this time?

I plan to be there regardless even if all I do is eat.[sm=regular_smile.gif]

Should I pack the predator too?
Old 09-01-2007, 10:56 PM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Well CP, you can blame me for the Reedie Race idea. I was trying to find something to spivey up the guys at the Carolina Crew fun flies. I thought it was an inexpensive way to have some fun racing, rely on some skill in both flying and understanding the little Cox .049 reedies and get bragging rights to the winners!!

Many were amazed when Raymond beat the best with a 1962 converted rudder only design SharkFace and a Golden Bee!! There were plenty faster but Ray was so consistant with cranking and launching at the right time he left most on the bench!! It's like you said you can tell the ones who have done their homework!!

You can get into a reedie plane for under $50.00 and with the only controling factor is the engine it has resulted in some really cool designs!!! On I like the fun fly part too and the comic releif of Vicman!!!

Now I beleive the poles are about 150 to 200 ft (I wear a size 12 and can count kinda high!) apart and I can do 5 laps with more to spare with my Black Widow. Not everyone has the patients to develop an understanding of the Cox engine. Funny, they seem to crank better when I was a kid!!!

The unlimited brings out the really hot engines but then the cost goes up a bit. It is just a fun event and lets me keep up with the guys and whats going on!!!

Bob Harris
Old 09-01-2007, 11:01 PM
combatpigg

Vic, I'll try to make it after I see evidence that there will be an actual day of racing. So far there have only been 4 heats run in 3 years time and it sounds like the flying is usually over by the early afternoon. Including shipping of the equipment, it would be quite a bill for me to go 3000 miles just to say Howdy in person for no actual racing and just a 1/2 a days' worth of flying. I can do that for free on the internet! If I had unlimited time and money, that would be different.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.