Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Wing load/area questions.

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Wing load/area questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 05:12 AM
ger87410

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wing load/area questions.

I was given this pattern plane by my father which was given to him by somebody at the flying field, and I know absolutely nothing about it. From what I gathered it has a wing area of about 897.75 Square inches and the fuselage is somewhere around 47" long. It did not come with the wing that was designed for it, but one that fits real nice. Is this the correct wing area to fuselage size? What is the maximum weight for this craft? Any help would be sppreciated.
Gerald
Old 03-18-2003, 06:03 AM
MarkD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the wing span? A lot of the modern FAI/pattern planes have a fuselage almost as long as the wingspan, if not a hair longer. The older designs were generaly a bit shorter, something around 75% of the wingspan. If you have a picture to post it would help.

MarkD
Old 03-18-2003, 07:25 AM
skylane42
My Feedback: (53)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats alof of wing area for that fuse. a Sweet Stick has a 55 inch wing span and 600 sq in of area. I don`t know off hand how long the fuse is but it is shorter than the wingspan. Your wing loading is going to be real low so it will be a floater.
Old 03-18-2003, 01:56 PM
ger87410

Here's some quick low quality pictures. The fuse is 46" long, 42.5" not including the stabilizer and elevator fins, and the wing is 63"x14.25". It's definitely a fixer upper. I estimate the completed weight to be 5-7 pounds with the engine and stuff since it weights 4.5 pounds now. I just got it and don't plan on starting on it till after Kim and my wedding. I'm surprised how fast you people reply. If I knew that you people were this helpful, I would have joined sooner. It's in zip format. Everybody should have winzip. So do you think this beast will fly?
Attached Files
File Type: zip
63870_31124.zip (61.4 KB, 15 views)
Old 03-21-2003, 06:43 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Main issue is not whether the wing is the right size for the fuse (some planes have no fuse at all), but whether you have enough stability in pitch and yaw, especially pitch. If the fin and rudder look about right they will probably do. But if the stab is very small and close to the wing then you will need a very forward balance point in order to have enough stability in pitch. There is a formula relating wing area, stab area, chord, and tail moment arm to balance point.

Your weight is good for that area.

I can't see the picture and have no idea what winzip is. Jim
Old 03-24-2003, 02:21 AM
ger87410

For people who don't have winzip, goto winzip.com and download the evaluation version.