Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

how do you mount your surestarts?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

how do you mount your surestarts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 04:51 PM
nekked_man_2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do you mount your surestarts?

Any pictures? I've done 1 and just used 2 pieces of hardwood to clear the choke pipe, any better ideas?

Old 09-06-2007, 05:05 PM
ProBroJoe

Default RE: how do you mount your surestarts?

I don't even bother with accommodating the choke tube - I simply remove it! Usually the holes in the crankcase are deep enough and the longer screws aren't a problem. (If the screws bottom out before the backplate is in place, I'll cut off about 1/32" of the screws with the old Dremel cut-off wheel.)

Old 09-06-2007, 06:10 PM
ZoomZoom-RCU

I was thinking the same thing Joe. I've done that a few times. I happen to be working on one now though where I'm gonna try to make a homemade throttle by using the choke tube, and making a sort of "carburetor" type adjuster that fits over the choke tube entry. As it stands I believe I can construct this from a simple plumbing plastic "T" fitting. Anyway, as far asmounting the surestart with the choke tube, the shimming method is the best. I tried cutting a recess inthe firewall once.....dont. It weakens it, and allows goop from the engine compartment back where it shouldn't be.

ZZ.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:42 PM
NormF

I remove the choke tube, but that also leaves you with a long unsupported needle valve. I shorten the needle and add fuel line in place of the needle spring for a better seal.

Actually, the choke tube is kind of handy. Some of the guys make a U shaped firewall, glue a block of balsa on the back and hollow a clearance for the tube. Use plenty of epoxy to seal the area.

- Norm
Old 09-06-2007, 07:53 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: ZoomZoom-RCU
happen to be working on one now though where I'm gonna try to make a homemade throttle by using the choke tube, and making a sort of "carburetor" type adjuster that fits over the choke tube entry. As it stands I believe I can construct this from a simple plumbing plastic "T" fitting.
There was a good thread on making a choke tube throttle in the other group -- it was essentially an inner tube that went into the choke tube and an outer tube. Both the inner and outer tubing had a hole drilled in them. As the outer tube was rotated, the hole was opened and covered. The inner tube was capped on its open end. There was also a link to a video -- the device seemed to work fairly well.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:12 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

How do you mount a surestart? Throw a rock to distract it, then jump on it's back. (har,har,har)
Old 09-06-2007, 08:19 PM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're a sick man PT... Me thinks you've been Micro waved too many times.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:21 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Microwave... How do you do that? With your pinkie finger? (Yuk, yuk, yuk)
Old 09-07-2007, 05:26 PM
nekked_man_2000

How did it come to this?
Sounds like most have either removed the choke tube, or did a variation of what I did. I like the choke tube, makes priming easier. Has anyone tested with and without the choke tube to see if it makes a difference in rpm? I know on mine the little starter spring thing reduces rpm's, I like the old spring style that got out of the way of the prop.

Austin
Old 09-08-2007, 07:22 AM
ProBroJoe

NM2k,

Priming isn't necessarily harder without the choke tube, just different. I'll fill the tank, connect the fuel line to the nipple on the needle valve, then use my squeeze bottle to "blow" into the tank's vent line until I see the fuel run up the line to the needle valve. A quick exhaust port prime, and we're off and running in one to two flips. Frankly I couldn't tell you if there was any difference in RPM with or without the choke tube - it was the first to go, then the silly "snap starter" system. If you're careful, you can reshape the sure-start spring to resemble the old style zero-drags springs (see attached), but I've found that with a good prime and a strong battery those Coxes fire right up with a couple flips by hand and starter springs aren't necessary.

Hope this helps,

-Joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74126.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	758864  
Old 09-09-2007, 01:28 AM
Big Al-RCU

A while back some guy on the ‘bay offered a homemade mount for the surestarts with the choke tube. Since I already had the basic outline in CAD, (left over from drawing up my own version of AJC’s twin), I whomped one out on the CNC’ed Sherline mill. It was so much fun watching it cut that I made another and another and…what the heck, that scrap of wood won’t be good for anything else so might as well use it up.
Needless to say I have a ‘few’ extras. If anybody wants one; send me your mailing address, (at least for the first half dozen or so). I don’t know what kind of wood it is but it’s very hard and very light.
Al
P.S. I couldn’t remember what the guy called it, and wasn’t able to find it again, so never knew if he sold it or not.
al

Name:	Jh14517.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	759449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26124.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	759450  
Old 09-09-2007, 01:06 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

I can't claim responsibility for this one, that goes to DieFlugiester. But it works well.

Name:	Da83484.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	759623  
Old 09-09-2007, 04:50 PM
SGC

That looks like a "grace"full mount there Vic
Old 09-09-2007, 05:13 PM
vicman

Wow! Good news travels fast!

I look forward to your flight report
Old 09-09-2007, 05:20 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The choke tube was added to the #191 existing product engine, and the longer needle valve stem to accommodate it. I THINK the name may have come from the choke tube that makes it easier to start. On some installations it is harder to start without the ability to choke.

The original Killer Bee's ran well without a choke tube, so I would conclude that the choke tube does not significantly add RPM.

I, personally, prefer to leave it on and add a spacer.

You can disable the starter spring by removing the plastic cam behind the prop so it will not engage. If you change your mind, just add it back. Much easier than removing and reinstalling the entire spring. You can always remove the spring later.

George
Old 09-09-2007, 07:10 PM
nekked_man_2000

ORIGINAL: vicman

I can't claim responsibility for this one, that goes to DieFlugiester. But it works well.
I was just about to take up BigAl-RCU on his offer, and still might, and then I saw this and though "why didn't I think of that?" That's simple and effective, I did a big weed-eater motor that way but for some reason I never thought of it for this application.

Hey BigAl, is Slidell LA were Mercury hobby is?(was?) I used to go to Mercury hobby because it was nearest hobby shop to Biloxi MS. Slidell rings a bell for some reason. I remember going down some dirt road there in Lousianna and stopping at some gas station with Pickled eggs and Pickled pigs feet on the counter at the register and thinking...I remember this from some movie. Some dude on the front porch playing banjo with 3 teeth...o.k. that parts not real but the old gas station was. Funny how the movies always portray places like that, in reality you meet some of the nicest people out in the sticks.

Austin

Old 09-09-2007, 08:32 PM
vicman

Glad to help
Old 09-10-2007, 04:18 PM
Big Al-RCU

Hey BigAl, is Slidell LA were Mercury hobby is?(was?) I used to go to Mercury hobby because it was nearest hobby shop to Biloxi MS. Slidell rings a bell for some reason. I remember going down some dirt road there in Lousianna and stopping at some gas station with Pickled eggs and Pickled pigs feet on the counter at the register and thinking...I remember this from some movie. Some dude on the front porch playing banjo with 3 teeth...o.k. that parts not real but the old gas station was. Funny how the movies always portray places like that, in reality you meet some of the nicest people out in the sticks.
>Austin

Hi Austin,
Yep you would have gone thru Slidell on your way to Mercury. Mercury is actually out in the backwoods but the nearest town is Abita Springs, whose only claim to fame is a small micro brewery.

BTW I set aside a couple of the mount/spacers for you since you were the original poster. Send me your snail mail address.
Al