Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

how important is fule tank level and engine level ?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

how important is fule tank level and engine level ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 06:25 AM
Lorduss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how important is fule tank level and engine level ?

im using a norvel ame .061.
and im having a little delema,
how important is the fule jet level and the tank ?
how much higher than the tank can it safly be? its kind of a trainer plane, so not much more than loops and rolls,
i like having my prop shaft up higher, should i put my engine upsidedown ?
Old 03-19-2003, 05:23 PM
Orbitter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, it's quite important to have it at the same level. Any below and when the tank gets low on fuel the engine will run lean. I have that problem with my Piper Cub. When the tank is between full and 1/2 full it runs fine. But when the tank gets below half full I can't run at full throttle or it runs to lean and quits! I can't fix the problem however until I get a 4-stroker and mount it upside-down. With Small engines it is even worse! I mean LOTS WORSE!!! The engine will just abruptly quit when you get below half full in the tank. If you adjust the needle so that it will run ok at lower tank levels then when your tank is full your engine wont break into 2-strokin'. Which is a PAIN IN THE REAR! lol...

You could of course mount the engine upside down like you said but then your engine will be harder to start cause the fuel will flood the plug MUCH EASIER!

If I were you I would just mount the engine a bit lower. It will solve a LOT OF PROBLEMS at the cost of a bit lower thrust line!

Regards,
Bryan
Old 03-19-2003, 10:28 PM
Lorduss

sounds like a plan. lol
thanks.

so centerline with the inlet on the carb?
Old 03-19-2003, 10:56 PM
2fast4u
My Feedback: (5)

I agree with most of it, but..... Are you running exhaust pressure? The reason I ask is this...my test stand holds the tank lower than the engine...one of my planes has the tank slightly above the engine. My AME .061 R/C runs great in both places.

If the top of the tank is not below the engine crank, and your pressure feed to the engine is good, and your muffler is mounted correctly, you should have no problems. Make sure the pressure nipple is clear and open.

I may be off base, but that's my 2 cents worth. So far it has not been an issue with any of mine. Good luck.
Old 03-20-2003, 02:14 AM
Lorduss

yes it is pressure fed, so top of tank inline with crank is about what i had planned, and actually, allready drilled holes for.
Old 03-20-2003, 05:55 PM
V. Sharp

Just a thought -- when you mount the engine 90 degrees from vertical, or even 45 degrees, if you need muffler clearance, you get the gain of lowering the centerline of the carb, and in a lot of cases, gain a better looking model along with better fuel draw.