Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

External antenna causing aerodynamic problems on small models?

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

External antenna causing aerodynamic problems on small models?

Old 03-20-2003, 03:16 AM
MarkD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default External antenna causing aerodynamic problems on small models?

Going to an internal antenna looks great, but do you think it buys you anything in terms of aerodynamics? On our smaller 1/2As you can easily end up 12" or more of antenna hanging off the back of the plane. At 50 or 60 MPH this has to equate to an ounce or more of drag and it is whipping around in the slipstream. On a 12 -14 ounce plane, and with the force being applied so far behind the CG it seems reasonable that it could be causing a bit of "wiggle" in the tail.

Any thoughts?

MarkD
Old 03-20-2003, 03:48 PM
Strat2003
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark, I believe I've detected a little bit of 'wiggle' in yaw on some 1/2 A's I've flown, like a Sig Hummer. One of the magazines once did a feature on running the antenna inside the wing, out to the tip and then back again. It seems like that might affect range, but we don't usually get the little ones too far away, at least on purpose, lol.......
Old 03-21-2003, 04:44 AM
MarkD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has been a lot of talk among the 1/2A fliers around here about this. Some say yes, some no. It would be interesting to take a plane with an internal antenna, fly it , and then tape on a fake external antenna (correcting for the CG change of course) and see if there is a difference. Maybe we'll give it a try and see.

MarkD
Old 03-21-2003, 08:36 PM
Troy-RCU

The thing we do with S400 pylon planes is to get rid of the flimsy, whip antenna wire and substitute it with fine piano wire or guitar string (metal stuff). Thickness does not matter but length must be exact to the original!!In the end you have a more stream line antenna that doesn't whip in the air like the flexible one. I don't trust the small, loaded antennas in high speed stuff and to this day I have had 100% success with this stiffened antenna. The trick to soldering it up is to leave about 2" of the original outside of the receiver, strip about 3/8" off end of 2" wire stub, rough up the end 1" of the metal piano wire surface with rough grit sandpaper, make a 180* bend (tight loop), and then thread the exposed wire through the slot. Solder the joint and add heat shrink for added measure.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	64690_2459.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	39415  
Old 03-21-2003, 11:41 PM
Strat2003

Neat idea, Troy, and something to do with all those old strings I keep saving for 'a good use', lol
Old 03-22-2003, 12:36 PM
Azarr

Here's another option:

Oops, forgot I shouldn't list the url - I edited it out, but you can look at it on my site by going to my web page below.

Disclaimer. This is my product so I'm totally biased

These antennas have been tested by George Steiner of the AMA Frequency committee, by Fred Marks of FMA and by Peter Berg of Berg receivers. They weight in between .5 and 1.5g depending on which model you select. My recommendation for glow is the M72-G, a heavier duty version designed specifically for the combat flyers.

Azarr
ecubedrc.com