Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

OT -- Airshow

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 12:35 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OT -- Airshow

My son and I attended a superb airshow Saturday in Millington, TN (down in Dickybird country). It was a little unusual in that both the Canadian Snowbirds and Blue Angels were featured and there was a flyby of the B2 Stealth Bomber -- it was the first time I had seen one live. With the Blues, the sound of 12 GE F414s going by will get your blood moving.

There was also a nice lineup of other performers: Skip Stewart (modified Pitts), Sean Tucker (Oracle Challenger - built this winter after Tucker's plane went in with control failure), Red Barons (4 Stearmans), John Klatt (Studacher S300), Red Eagle team (2 highly modified Christianson Eagles), a couple of P-51s, A-10 demo and the Army Golden Knights. The Shockwave jet truck ran and a BigFoot monster truck made an short appearance - it puked a rod on the first pass and had to be towed off the field).

I was surprised at the big difference in size between the P-51 and A-10 during a formation flight -- I hadn't seen the two side be side before.

Stewart and Tucker both did Harriers which were almost totally stationary. Stewart also did a modified knife edge, the plane looked to be canted about 30 degrees, down the length of the runway at what appeared to be 6' to 8' high -- I was impressed with that one.

All in all, it was a long hot day, but a good one. Since my wife stayed home and could have cared less, I thought I would share with some folks who like aircraft.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:40 PM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: OT -- Airshow

Yep ... They are all going to be in my neck o' the woods next week end.

http://www.salinasairshow.com/
Old 09-23-2007, 04:19 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice to see that the CAF Snowbirds and USN Blue Angels have come back after losing pilots two weeks apart in late spring.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:00 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Andrew, you were so close and I didn't even know it! I had plans to go but had plumbing problems. Maybe next time.