Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

You gotta see this

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 02:11 AM
Bubbafly
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You gotta see this

Was talking with a buddy of mine the other day about 1/2A aerobatic airplanes. He said he had a few. Well, Dave is a helicopter guy mostly now, but he still flys pattern planes, big ukie's. and and ocassional sport plane, so I said, " Oh really?" Dave has a huge basement, and I don't think I have ever seen all his planes and stuff, so I said,"what you got , Dave?" He said,"what you got to trade ,Tim?" Well, I told him what I could live without, and he said come by his house. I asked what it was I was trading for( I'm no fool. Ha), and he said don't worry you'll like it. Well, here it is. I flipped out.

1/2A version (scratch built) of a Hanger 9 Pizzaz.
32" ws--- 34" long--- 22 ozs auw
flys like a rocket with .074 norvel on it. I have a spare one!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	61694_27956.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	38012  
Old 03-10-2003, 02:13 AM
Bubbafly

another Pizzaz pic with Rascal in background for comparison sizewise.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	61695_27956.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	38013  
Old 03-10-2003, 09:59 PM
Martijn

Default These models look familiar to me.

Hello mr Bubbafly
I know this guy David, nice guy!!!
what a coincidence, martijn my son is looking on the Internet found the models from David. Which I saw just a week ago at David's place.
I'll try to attache a picture of our tiny model room!!
Good deal Tim, I hope you will have fun with these models.
regard to Vicky

Peter from Holland
Old 03-10-2003, 10:56 PM
2fast4u
My Feedback: (5)

Great!!! Now I want a baby Pizzaz!!! Ad another bird to my long and growing list.
Old 03-23-2003, 02:17 AM
aeropenguin
My Feedback: (1)

Bubbafly, that's a really nice Pizzaz! BUT, I'm more interested in the Rascal you have. Can you show a few pics of it, what mods, power system, performance, general opinion, what you'd do differently, etc?
Thanx! I'm beginning on the kit soon, so I'd like to get as many voices on this plane before I start.

-aeroP
Old 03-23-2003, 08:23 PM
Bubbafly

Default Rascal Questions

Aeropenguin

First things first. The Rascal is a great flying plane. Very relaxed, no bad tendencies in flight. I enjoy it a lot! In fact, I was able to go fly yesterday, as we are having one of those rare beautiful weekends in March for Kansas. Anyway, back to the questions. The kit is like any other Sig kit. Good wood, instructions, etc. On my Rascal the dihedral is only about 1/2" under each wing(1" total) as it has ailerons. That is probably the major modification. It does have cockpit deck, where I mounted a pilot, and the throttle servo. The rest of the plane is fairly stock. It is powered by a .061 Norvel. I used a Dave brown engine mount, and the trottle is flex cable in a sleeve. The radio system is JR, with hitec HS-81's for elevator,ailerons,rudder. The throttle is a hitec hs-55.The battery is a JR 600mah/6v.
The only things to watch for is build the tail feathers light. I would like to put a steerable tailwheel on the plane but that makes it tail heavy and very hard to balance. I wound up using a sullivan tailskid. It is a little difficult to get a 2 oz. tank in the nose but it will fit, just watch for pinched fuel lines. I will try to post some detail pics asap. In the meantime there are pics in my gallery.
Hope this helps.

Tim(bubbafly)
Old 03-23-2003, 08:49 PM
aeropenguin

Thanx Tim for a quick insight. I found a few pics in your gallery, but they all didn't load! So I only had the thumbnails that were on the search results page. I'm all electric, so I'm going with a nice Watt-Age Super 400 cobalt motor (19 oz thrust) as a pose to the low power 400 recomended. I'm not going ailo's on it. I'm hoping of doing many, many mods:
a sullivan tailwheel assembley or one by Du-zzzzbro (heasrd good things about both)
simple wheel brakes (activated by down elevator and large washers, not sure how this is going to work out)
stronger landing gear and taller, for 12in prop
fatter wheels (Trexlers?)
Cobalt motor upgrade
stronger/more reliable motor mount
use it for Aerial photography (maybe)
night lites for night flying
carbon fiber dihedral brace
CF tube for LE of wing (all my planes LOVE soccer goalposts)

Sometimes I sit down and think, "am I asking too much from this plane?"

I feel sad for this ship. Oh yeah, I'm starting it today or tomarro! Yippee!

I'll try to cut down on overusing CA & epoxy, and save weight everywhere I can find without losing too much strength to make up for all mods & try to shave off some wing loading.

What do you think about all my plans?

-aeroP
Old 03-23-2003, 09:00 PM
Bubbafly

Default Rascal Mods

Aeropenguin

Wow, sounds like a nice list of stuff to do to your Rascal. I would definitely upgrade the motor, you will need all the thrust you can get. I think if it was me, I would do the lights for sure, and skip the brakes. It's not like any rc plane rolls a long way after landing, unless you want to do "stoppies" like the sportbike guys. HaHa. look forward to hearing out it all works out.

Tim(bubbafly)
Old 03-23-2003, 09:05 PM
aeropenguin

Tim,
Yippee, wer're both online (typing quick...)
Maybe I should skip the brakes, I don't know, nobody does 'em... The thing is that at the local park in which I plan to fly most, the take off path is a dirt baseball diamond, and my models often, often, smoothly land...keep on rolling...mmm...CRASH - into the fence!
I'm mostly on the E-Zone, and I'll soon start a thread showing my whole building experience, show pics, and just tell everyone about it...Watch for that. I'll begin when I get enough progress to "lure" people into following the thread all the way to the finish.

-aeroP

P.S. thanx for taking the time to take more photos of your Rascal. Can you post those that were in your galery too, because they don't load!

P.P.S. did I mention I'll add floats (if I get permission from the local park pond) !