Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Which engine for Nitro Rascal

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Which engine for Nitro Rascal

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 07:36 PM
larrysl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which engine for Nitro Rascal

Hi, I just got the Nitro Rascal ARF. Sig recommends the Norvel AMF .061 with the .074 as a second choice. I have a new never run AMF .061 and a Big Mig .074 thats been broke in and runs great. I'm leaning towards the .074. What do you guys think Thanks, Larry
Old 09-24-2007, 07:43 PM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Which engine for Nitro Rascal

The .074 is more engine than it needs. I'd save it for something that can really benefit from the .074s great power-to-weight ratio, and use the .061. Too much power on a flat bottom airfoil can really take the fun out of a plane like that.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:37 AM
AWHTSNK

larrysl

Had my fisrt flight with my Sig Rascal (ARF) on Monday, with a Norvel .049 R/C.. It flew GREAT!!! I agree that the Norvel .074 would be way too much.

AWHTSNK
Old 09-26-2007, 07:14 AM
larrysl

Guys, thanks for the replies. The AME .061 R/C drops right in place. I would have to widen the motor mount and cut away to make room for the muffler for the big Mig .074. The reason I was leaning towards the .074 is that after abusing the hell out of it for a couple days trying to start it because I didn't Know there was no electrical continuity between the crankcase and glow plug, it now runs and idles down perfectly. I have not tried to run the .061. It's still NIB. Will it idle anywhere near as well as the Big Mig? Thanks again. Larry
Old 09-28-2007, 07:17 PM
misfitsailor
My Feedback: (6)

I also have the Norvel AME .061. You realize that the AME is the hotter, higher revving version. I was never able to get a nice, low idle. I later bought a new cylinder/piston set used in the Big Mig .061 and really love the engine now. I have the AP Wasp also, which is a Chinese clone, with, I think, the milder port timing of the Big Mig .061. My only complaint about both these engines is that the mufflers leak so much oil where they meet the cylinder. Be sure to fuel-proof the entire engine bay of your Rascal with thinned epoxy, dope, or fuel-proof paint.

Rascals are fun! I am thinking about converting my Lil' Rascal to glow or diesel. Has anyone else out there?
Old 09-29-2007, 04:11 AM
digital_trucker

The Wasps also upchuck fuel out the carb when they're running, too
Old 10-05-2007, 06:37 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the man in brown just dropped my Rascal off, I have several engines to choose from, but I am leaning towards my .074 too,..hope to start on it this weekend ,,maybe test it out next week, raindave and I try to get to the field once a week or so...Rog

I dont know if those tiny wheels will crunch through the dead grass at my field, it did rain for 10 minutes yesterday for the first time since July[&o]
Old 10-06-2007, 06:44 AM
larrysl

We flew mine for the first time yesterday. I put the AME .061 in it. An experienced pilot took off and landed it for me since I'm still a shaky jake with RC. I put 2" wheels on it. It seemed quite underpowered during takeoff, ok in the air. A little hard to land since the AME .061 does not idle down all that well. Will probably switch to the Big Mig .074 sometime in the future. Larry
Old 10-06-2007, 10:53 AM
KidEpoxy

Did we get a [sm=thumbs_up.gif]/[sm=thumbs_down.gif] on the AP 061 Wasp for this bird?
Is it enough for ROG?

I'm not looking to get one, but just want to tidy up that Wasp loose end on the conversation for future readers since AP is one of the few players left in the game.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:22 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bsarge has a wasp .061 on his shrike and it zips around pretty good, dont know about fuel spitting..should float the rascal around ok,,I hand launch all my planes and am putting either an .074 or or an OS .10 on mine for fun,..still building it...Rog