"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

warping balsa

Old 03-22-2003, 03:14 AM
flyinrog

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default warping balsa

can I control the warp of wet balsa with weights (experiment underway) instead of cutting wing ribs out.... I bought a ton of sticks for the demoiselle and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this........I have a bowl of 1/8 x 10" sticks soaking with soup cans on them in the top cover of a frying pan , this should produce the correct bend if they dry this way too.... anybody? thanks Rog
Old 03-22-2003, 01:32 PM
wild fred

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default warping balsa

the c/l guys used to do what they called "birdcage " construction. The gist of it is they took their airfoil curve, laid it out on a template, cut the curve, slid the template down1/4" (1/8" in your case) and sliced another. repeated many times it made a bunch of airfoil shaped slices that were consistent. then they built top half w/ curved pieces over spar, flipped, and built bottom (symmetrical wing).

It might be an easier way to replicate curved ribs with more consistent profiles than bending!

hal debolt made autogiro blade ribs by carving his airfoil in a block, and slicing off 1/16" slabs, but for a curving airfoil like yours, I think the birdcage method would work better.
Old 03-22-2003, 02:15 PM
flyinrog

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default warping balsa

ah if this doesnt work, I'll buy a block cut it to shape and slice it into the ribs, just thought someone would have had some experience with it..............or I may make an air bike, same magazine last page since it s close to the same frame ....

I had a suck night at work last night ya'll.. had to let a guy go for his performance/attitude (this is where being the boss sucks) even had to go as far as calling the police and he comes back this morning and pops 2 of the tires on my Miata.......rat bas&^#d..
sorry, I had to vent........Rog

"people suck, I'm glad I'm not one"
Old 03-22-2003, 08:58 PM
fastlash

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Management

Yea management sucks, I all ways hated the bastur!!!s, dumbest people are always put in charge,--------- couldn't resist Rog!!!!!Hey Rog do you need to borrow a bullet poof vest????
Old 03-23-2003, 01:05 AM
wild fred

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default warping balsa

yeah, I used to do factory work, and that's why I got out of it! nothing worse than working with someone who tries to blame others for the fact that he's a sorry a**! It'll pass, though. and at least you can be thankful that your life is not as sorry as his. Everyone gets what they deserve sooner or later, he has to live with himself.

we still think you are a nice guy
Old 03-23-2003, 02:22 PM
flyinrog

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default warping balsa

Thanks Fred, I appreciate it. he was also an "african american" which created some racial tension that I didnt need to have on my shift and dammit I am tired of this crap, all I wanted was a job.. this is the 5th time I have worked my way up to supervisor and I didnt even mean to! When this house is paid for (5 years)I think I'll go back into retail, building supplies ., now that was fun
wonder if I can whittle a 2 x 4 into a gee bee?,,whats that ma'am what color is plywood ,well it's kind of a wood tone.. what's that? about how big is an 8 x 8 deck, oh lets see its about 64 sq ft. you know bathroom size.......no ma'am you cant paint your gutters with interior flat latex paint...so your lazy ass husband sent you here to pick up the decking boards for the deck eh. well heres the crappiest possible boards we could find to fill your order... thanks for coming hahahaha.. I'm feeling better already maybe I could get something partime at Lowes?..Rog
Old 03-23-2003, 03:18 PM
wild fred

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default warping balsa

hah! you sound like me! I've been a lot of things trying to find a good job myself! I know what you mean about promotion, everyone thinks it is a step up, but... for a dollar an hour they can keep the headaches!

always something, though. I thought I had a good one in the keys for a tree service, good money, outdoors, no responsibility. Then the boss started taking antidepressants for an obsessive/compulsive disorder. He started raging, my paychecks started bouncing, and he started reading gun mags and buying assault rifles- with the money that shoulda covered my checks! Isn't prozac wonderful? anyway, it could be worse. I am working now as maintenance for a small town. Getting treated as a human being again. 10 min. from a great flying club. So it worked out for the best. I guess that's why the chinese have the same word for adversity and opportunity?

so, leave it at work, and spend more quality time in the workshop! I have been in mine this morning trying to get a g-62 running. got it started, it is scary! I don't know about the big stuff, 1/2a seems a lot safer!
Old 03-23-2003, 05:25 PM
LoneRanger

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default warping balsa

ROG, dude, I hope you called the BlueLights about the 2 flat tires. they cant do anything but keep records of it however it is possible that you can get a good file of **** and then work from that- hope it does'nt come to that-

Lowes is great I worked there out of high school about 8 or 9 years ago had a good time!

back to AIRPLANES NOW~

I am interested in these hollow wing ribs ya'll are talkin about. How do you make them traditionaly? and how might you mabey make them "better"?

thanks, L.R.
Old 03-23-2003, 06:02 PM
BykrDan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default warping balsa

Quote:
Originally posted by flyinrog
wonder if I can whittle a 2 x 4 into a gee bee
Yes - you can!

I have, on the bench right now, a 48" GeeBee Z made almost entirely from a wall that we removed from our church. There was a wood panelling left over that looks very much like "lite ply" :^)

It built kind of heavy (almost NO balsa in the whole plane). We'll see how it flies, if it flies!

Dan.
Old 03-24-2003, 03:23 AM
flyinrog

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default warping balsa

cool Bykrdan, but that does sound heavy! no balsa and its a Z model, got a pic?,, what are you powering that thing with,, maybe WildFred would lend you his G-62 that ought to do it .... ..dang WF I had a G-23 but I used to ride on it ...goped..Rog

oh and no LR I didnt want to start any more problems.. this person was disturbed as far as I'm concerned, so I just want it behind me...the company is looking at getting me new tires because the security gate was broken at the time..Rog
Old 03-24-2003, 03:33 AM
LoneRanger

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default warping balsa

new tires ehhh? get some expensive ass tires!!!!!!

like some low profile Z tred or something lol

L.R.
Old 03-24-2003, 03:37 AM
matchlessaero

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Never heard it called birdcage before....

but it fits. I kinda like it....

I have always heard the CL'ers call it I-Beam construction. There is a pretty good article in Model Aviation last year about Werwage's Ares CL stunter which was build with an I-beam spar, and what I have always called 'sliced' ribs.

There was also an article in MAN about 2 years ago on how to make a nice little jig to aid in cutting consistent ribs. Was pretty neat.

I used them for years on FF's and now I have used them on my little park flyer. Nice construction method.
Old 03-24-2003, 04:14 AM
AndyW

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default warping balsa

Years ago, I made up curved sticks for a free flight wing. How I did it was to take 1/32" X 3/32" strips of the right length and soak them in a real wet (like milk) mix of water and white glue. A half hour is good enough. Then, two of these were laid together to make up a 1/16" X 3/32" cross-section and strapped to a form that was covered in Saran wrap. A couple of dozen were done up and the whole mess left to dry overnight. The result was curved sticks that held their form and worked very well to build the wing. Flat sticks were used on the bottom, a single full depth spar, the usual leading edge and tapered trailing edge gave me a super light wing.

Eventually went OOS taking my precious TD .020 with it. Dethermalizer? What's that?

Search this Thread