Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

1/2A Water ski-ing anyone?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

1/2A Water ski-ing anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 07:17 AM
DICKEYBIRD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/2A Water ski-ing anyone?

I ran across this picture and thought it was way cool. Here's the website:
http://www.pfs-ware.com/smith/MyPage/MyPageToys2.htm Bottom of the page.

I used to have a 2 channel r/c Dumas 1/2A boat (can't remember the name) It was a mahogany kit that finished out beautifully and ran great. It was powered by a Tee Dee .049 with a throttle sleeve and water cooling clamp on the head. Matter of fact, that was the engine that convinced me that a throttle sleeve was the way to throttle a Tee Dee. I even made a little surfboard with my one of my daughter's Sesame Street characters (Cookie Monster?) standing on it to tow behind the boat. Kathy made a pair of gaudy little shorts for him to wear and he was always a big hit at our club's annual float fly.

It would have been even cooler with an outboard!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48560.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	771804  
Old 09-28-2007, 07:34 AM
GrahamC

Default RE: 1/2A Water ski-ing anyone?

Cool!

I always lusted after one of those Sea Fury's or similar model outboard motors when I was a kid, never got one and I don't want one bad enough to spend the big $$$ that the eBay auctions bring. Even the old electric outboards bring big $$.

Make my own perhaps, I will add it to my list. There are some modern electric outboards that could make a good starting point, hmmmmm.

cheers, Graham
Old 09-28-2007, 08:09 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: GrahamC
Make my own perhaps, I will add it to my list. There are some modern electric outboards that could make a good starting point, hmmmmm.
You know that was what DB was thinking, too.[sm=lol.gif]
Old 09-28-2007, 05:56 PM
Japanman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend and I decided to try to make a 1/2A tunnell hull a few years ago. I made an outboard with a TD 049 a couple of years ago. I used a piece of bicycle brake cable for a flex drive cable, and made an RCcarb for the throttle. A friend of mine got excited about it and he made a mini tunnel hull which we set it all up in. All the throttle linkages etc where a bit of a challenge, but it it went really well with just TLAR setup... once we got the prop right.
It looked REALLY cool when it got going- it was setup to surface drive and sent up a little plume off the prop, and the sound.... [8D] I am sure it was hitting more than 25K at times... It must have been a TD with a good crank.

Wish I had a video of it now, it was the coolest boat I have made by a mile!

J.M
Old 09-28-2007, 08:00 PM
jmiah0123

Dickeybird,

Maybe you're talking about the Short Stuff? 1/2a Deep Vee by Dumas, mine is single channel though, I can get it almost back to the shore before it runs outta gas, LoL
Old 09-29-2007, 11:06 AM
DICKEYBIRD

ORIGINAL: jmiah0123
Maybe you're talking about the Short Stuff? 1/2a Deep Vee by Dumas, mine is single channel though, I can get it almost back to the shore before it runs outta gas, LoL
Is this the same boat?

Sheesh, I'm a sick puppy. Apparently I cannot throw away ANYTHING! Last time this stuff has seen the light of day was 1988.

Funny story: This same boat was the IMPBA world record holder in A Mono for a short time. The IMPBA threw out all the old records when they switched timing equipment in 1988. The 1st records trial was held right here the 1st week in January, '88 at the old Medal of Honor Park pond. )It's sad but the only records set there now are the the highest number of crack deals per hour. )

Anyway, a buddy of mine that's into boats said "Bring out that crappy little Cox powered boat of yours and set the new record." So I did and now have a plaque around here somewhere that proudly proclaims me as the "A-Class Mono" Record Holder at 18 point something mph. It lasted for a month or so until a real competitor blasted my record into smithereens with a Rossi .09 powered boat of some kind.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:19 PM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Milt... Have you thought of putting a TD .09 in that thar boat and get your record back.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:51 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am thinking the Short stuff was a fiberglass deep vee. Don't remember if there was a wooden 10 size version. The S K Daddle 10 was aa wooden build but had what I call the "Chris Craft" rounded stern.

I am thinking this boat is the lesser known Dumas Skee Vee 10.

Robert

First pic is the SK Daddle 10
next is the Skee Vee 10
and last is the Deep Vee 10
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20462.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	772789   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51389.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	772790   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc80348.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	772791  
Old 09-29-2007, 07:19 PM
DICKEYBIRD

ORIGINAL: skaliwag

Milt... Have you thought of putting a TD .09 in that thar boat and get your record back.
Nope, I'm gonna borrow C/P's new Cyclon...that oughta' do it! Hey, come to think of it, I'll put some wings on it and sell the idea to Air Hog! Kids'll like a screaming, death-defying toy much better than that wimpy electric Storm Launcher kiddie toy.

Hey Robert, looks like it's a Skee Vee 10 for sure, thanks for the pictures!