Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Anyone fly a Herr "Cloud Ranger"with a Diesel ?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Anyone fly a Herr "Cloud Ranger"with a Diesel ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 10:01 AM
Dmacsimum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone fly a Herr "Cloud Ranger"with a Diesel ?

Fellers,
I'm wondering if anyone out there flies a Radio Controlled Herr "Cloud Ranger" airplane ? I'm thinking of building and attempting to fly one. I have a new PAW BR .061 RC Diesel engine that should reach me Friday from Ed Carlson's Engine Imports. I have a good grasp on diesel engines from using them on control line airplanes, and I do realize that RC changes some of the characteristics of them. However, I do believe I will have a good chance of success. I am a novice in flying RC planes, that's why I'm looking towards the "Cloud Ranger" for it's a trainer style of plane, and I have heard that they are tough for the rough landings.

Anyway, if anyone can give me some pointers on building, or how they tend to fly, or how do/did you likes yours, it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dennis
Old 03-25-2003, 12:09 PM
wild fred
My Feedback: (3)

I don't have much deisel experience, but the cloud ranger a great all-around airplane. the paw should pull it fine, a glow norvel 061 is zippy, an 074w/7-3 at 1/4 throttle pulls it fine; have flown them with both. the deisel should keep speed moderate, with plenty of pull.
Old 03-28-2003, 04:10 PM
FrancisPerson

Default Diesel

A PAW .061 r/c diesel will be perfect for any sub 24 oz plane. Maybe more if it’s a floater. If you use the paw muffler then you can pipe the exhaust to the rear. So long as the inside diameter is the same as the inside diameter of the exhaust stack you will loose minimal power. I have a PAW .03 r/c with 14 inches of thin wall 1/8" inside diameter latex surgical tubing. No mess, rather quiet and it only costs me 200 rpm!!! Other PAW powered planes of mine use K&S aluminum tubing. Again use the max inside diameter that is reasonable and there will be min power loss. If you are careful in how you bend and attach the metal tube it can look cool too. I use a Lite Machines (Norvel) starter powered with a 7 or 8 cell nicad pack to power the starter. Be careful with starters on small diesels. Min compression and NO PRIME. A couple of finger flips and start.

Permanent member of The Germantown Oily Rag Brigade

Francis Person
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
66343_592.bmp (49.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 03-29-2003, 08:01 AM
Dmacsimum

I thank you guys for the replies. I'll sure keep in mind, using K&S tubing to exhaust to the rear of the plane, or at least away from the plane.

Aren't these little compression combustion engines swell !

Dennis
Old 03-31-2003, 05:01 PM
Dr. Wine
My Feedback: (2)

Don't have an answer to your question. Just thought you might like to see my diesel project. PAW .09 BR RC on a H.O.B. Spacewalker. It's maiden flight will be this weekend, weather permitting.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	67113_10624.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	40159  
Old 04-01-2003, 01:42 AM
Dmacsimum

Dr. Wine,
You did a VERY nice job on your plane, it looks great! Do you have any previous experience with diesels flying them in RC planes ? I'm interested in finding out your first flight findings with your plane engine combo of the little PAW BR .09 so keep me informed on the smutt if you would please.

I have a PAW TBR .09 W/muffler on a Brodak's Lightning Streak Jr that I fly for control line use. The .09 PAW's are very nice engines!

Dennis
Old 04-01-2003, 01:55 AM
Dr. Wine
My Feedback: (2)

Dennis,

Thanks for the complement.

No I never owned a diesel, flew a diesel, seen or heard a diesel run before I bought the .09. Not to say I never heard any diesel engine run. I'm a marine surveyor and I am around diesel engines ranging in size from 3hp to thousands of horse power.

After the maiden flight this weekend I'll post a thread in this forum with a report and some flyby photos.

Dr. Wine
Old 04-01-2003, 02:35 AM
goldguy

I have diesel experience and can tell you, your Cloud Ranger with the PAW .061 up front will be a great combo.

Although the PAW engine will weigh more, it has much more torque and will throw a bigger prop. A one ounce tank should give you a 20 minute flight.

Use straight alcohol for clean-up and as mentioned, no electric starters.

Have fun and wear old clothes. he,he