Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

A need for 1/2A again

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

A need for 1/2A again

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 06:57 PM
sigflyer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A need for 1/2A again

Ok, I must confess…. my 1/2A days were a while back. But I have a need to get my 1/2A groove on again. So, I ordered from SIG the Herr Cloud Ranger and a Sig Hummer and the BIG brown truck delivered them today. I had a Hummer several years ago with a Tee Dee 51 and it was a good flying little plan. I want something slow and easy going and something fast and quick. With today’s limited engine choices in this class what should I use? I was thinking a TT 07 for the Cloud Ranger and a Brodak for the Hummer or maybe a WASP for both. What do ya think?
Old 10-11-2007, 07:16 PM
propbuster
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: A need for 1/2A again

Good to have you back in the fold, I've just gotten back to the need to go 1/2a again myself
Old 10-11-2007, 07:57 PM
sigflyer

Yes propbuster it was and is fun. I have tried small electrics and it just doesn't have the same feeling. I've kinda gotten hooked again by reading this fourm....Johnny
Old 10-11-2007, 08:28 PM
Mr67Stang

Another North Carolina 1/2a'er! The Cloud ranger is a good starting point. You can do a forum search here for "Herr Cloud Ranger" and find a link to mine, as well as others, with video of mine flying. Powered by an OS .10LA w/APC 7x3 it can fly at a jogging pace or as you can see in the video turn up to a very aerobatic little trainer The TT 07 will fly the plane extreamly well but I just prefer the no fuss OS engines. I wanna fly and not have to tweak the engine to much, not that I have any experience with the TT .07 though.

EDIT// I originally posted that I used an APC 7x4 when in fact it's an APC 7x3

Also the AUW of mine was 20 oz
Old 10-12-2007, 08:18 AM
DeviousDave

Go get yourself a new TD or Norvel off of Ebay! There are always a few, and they are only about 15-20$ more than when new!
Old 10-12-2007, 09:05 AM
flyinrog

Sigflyer, the tt .07 is much like the old queen bee .07 ,,it is a good stable engine, easy starting and tuning..but it has a little more power than an .049....find stangs video and watch it ,,I would go OS .10, and maybe the wasp on the hummer I have both kits and both engines in my mess of airplanes (there are 5 ARF's and 3 kits in my living room) and engines.....Rog
Old 10-12-2007, 05:02 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Johnny,

I think I gave away my Cox .074 'cuz I don't see it in the pile. I have a TT .07 that I've never run because everyone rags on it and I was afraid that the Crew would laugh at me and point their fingers and say, "let's all laugh at Raymond" (but it shure is purty).

I've never had a Hummer or Cloud Ranger.

Glad I could help.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:10 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

What is it with guys from NC and 1/2A? Must be some kind of inbred tolerance for pain........well at least lots of inbreeding.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:34 PM
DICKEYBIRD

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

What is it with guys from NC and 1/2A? Must be some kind of inbred tolerance for pain........well at least lots of inbreeding.
Run Pigg RUN....I think I hear banjo music!
Old 10-12-2007, 08:56 PM
combatpigg

DB, I'm one of the few who never saw that movie, but I used to wear the same hat Ned Beattie did in that movie. I was told by my firends who did see the movie to stop wearing that hat!
Old 10-12-2007, 10:03 PM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: DICKEYBIRD

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Run Pigg RUN....I think I hear banjo music!
"Hey Mama, tell Pa to start digg'n a hole. Weez gonna have a pig roast!"
Old 10-12-2007, 11:18 PM
sigflyer

Ah…Mr tang…that OS .10 in the Cloud Ranger on your video makes it a little screamer. That may be my choice. Ya gotta love those little LA’s. It’s a shame the little TT .07 has such a bad rap. It’s a “purty little thang” as Raymond says.

Johnny
Old 10-13-2007, 08:24 AM
flyinrog

well now where do I start?..sig the tt 07 is a nice engine just not a powerhouse I once referred to it as a Timex with about as much power...no dog, but no norvel..CP , I play the banjo myself , but alas am from Mass.,...we moved here in 62 when I was 4...inbreeding is a Tenn/Ark thing ,,we just talk funny here....we do love a pig pickin though...slaw, baked beans, a cold one...mmmmm...course there are deer and cow pickins too..I had copperhead once,,thats a weird tastin creature...cross between fish and turkey as best as I can describe,...I'm having another flyin the 27th , your welcome to come down...I'll just be havin hotdogs with chili and slaw, mustard..some oddballs eat ketchup on theirs...I was raised on them from northerners with mustard and relish so I can go either way,, how about up your way?......Rog
Old 10-13-2007, 09:09 AM
combatpigg

Rog, I like polish dogs grilled and sliced into strips on sour dough with dijon mustard.

Sigflyer, I'll bet the TT .07 is one of the least ran small engines ever produced, right up there [or down there] with the Cox Queen Bee.

OS .10s are still pretty plentiful in the classified ads.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:58 AM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

CP,

Rog left out Bojangles biscuits and sweet tea. Ah but its hard to beat good ole Carolina Reds hot dogs with chili, slaw, and just a hint of burnt castor oil, now there's some right fine eatin'.

As for Deliverance stereotypes, eeeuuuh!

FWIW, I just saw an ad for O.S. .10 LA's that are just plane metal finish - none of that sissy blue stuff.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:17 AM
combatpigg

Ray, I worked in the Charleston shipyard a couple of times [in the 1980s] and have to say that the local eats and hospitality was the best anywhere. I'd be 5 or 600 pounds of pure muscle by now if I decided to live there . I think I even ordered a bowl of Wheaties that came fried.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:47 PM
sigflyer

Rog,I may see if I can make the 27th flying. As for the eating, I love the pig pickins….Hot Dogs (Carolina Bright Leaf brand of course) with Mustard, Chilly and sweet Vidalia onion. I have never had Copperhead….the snake I assume? If I get over there I will have to tell ya the Cottonmouth story from when I was about 14 years old. Needless to say I HATE snakes. If you play the banjo you must be a Bluegrass fan of which I am.

CP, I bet your right on the TT07. I had one a few years ago I bought with a TT Scooter ARF from Quantum Models. I never got the chance to run it because I gave both the engine and ARF in the box to a kid in the neighborhood in exchange for some grass cutting. I through in a old Airtronics radio also. His family moved to the RTP area and I never found out if he ever finished it. I’ve never seen one running or mounted but as Raymond says “it’s a purty thang”

I just finished the Christen Eagle ARF project last night and test flew it today. Now I can get started on my 1/2A projects. I don’t which one to start first the Hummer or the Cloud Ranger…..Decisions….. Decisions

Johnny
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91583.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	782417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66424.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	782418  
Old 10-13-2007, 10:26 PM
hogflyer

If you watch ebay you can pick up a NIB OS .10 FSR for less $$$ than you'll pay for a new LA .10 from Tower.

Hogflyer
Old 10-13-2007, 10:31 PM
combatpigg

Reenforces the .10 vs .15 argument. You don't see nearly the same amount of NIB .15s for a sacrifice price.