Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Question for the Norvelites (Future Project)

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Question for the Norvelites (Future Project)

Old 03-26-2003, 03:31 AM
Digger-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for the Norvelites (Future Project)

Greetings all.
I have chosen the next project in the Digger household.
Dare shoestring racer as seen in the picture. I bought an 074 to go in this plane, but I am starting to think it may be too much engine. I could go with an 061, Which do y'all think is the best choice. The plane is 165 square inches, and rated at 18 oz when built. I would love to hear from the speed demons who I'm hopeing will tell me not to be a milktoast eater, and go with the 074. On the other hand, voices of reason would be greatly appreciated.

What do you guys really think? Which engine?

Thanks for time
Randy (Digger) Birt
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	65729_13228.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	40217  
Old 03-26-2003, 04:20 AM
LoneRanger
My Feedback: (1)

HA, no contest~ .074 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
are you building the plane or is it allready built? is that it in the pic or is that just an image of a shoestring (obviously)?

L.R.
Old 03-26-2003, 04:36 AM
Digger-RCU

LR,

I bought the kit, but I have not started on it yet. The picture is the one from the website, (Same one is found on the box).

No contest? Are you sure ?
Seems to me, if you flet that way, there woud be an 074 on your A4

Randy (Digger) Birt
Old 03-26-2003, 04:37 AM
AndyW

At 165 squares, I'd consider a hot .061. At 18 ounces, maybe the .074 but might be a handful. If you could get it down to 16 ounces, the .061 might be more manageable. Who are you racing against?

I have a mid wing own design sport with 240 squares and 20 ounces. On my .074, I get 16K on a Cox 7 X 3.5. Goes vertical from short take off run. Flat out, goes like stink even with lots of squares and thick foil. I shudder to think what an .074 will do to a Shoestring at 18 ounces, only 165 squares and a thin, elliptical wing. At that wing loading, she's going to fly fast even with the .061 just to stay in the air. Keep in mind that the heavier engine will add to the wing loading.

I'd try to use light servos, Rx and battery to get the weight down to 16 ounces or better with the .061.
Old 03-26-2003, 04:41 AM
LoneRanger

hey, hey, hey~

I have to use the .049 for the LBBBA due to Design Contest rules!

Touche' !!!!!

L.R.
Old 03-26-2003, 04:50 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Whoa! I thought we could use an .061 for the design contest. Now I'll have to rethink my design.
Old 03-26-2003, 04:52 AM
Digger-RCU

Andy, Thanks for the info. I think I knew the truth all along, I just needed someone to say it for me. AS for what racing? Good point. I'm not racing anyone, so it doesnt really need to go speed of sound. Thanks for the input!

L.R. I wear size 11 shoes. You should be able to see that because they are sticking out of my mouth! I hate when I do that !!! Understand though, anyone that says "touche" to me is just waiting to get got!

Randy (Digger) Birt

PS, Bipe the rules are up to 061, so dont change a thing!
Old 03-26-2003, 05:15 AM
matchlessaero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default a couple of comparison points.....

Randy, all of the planes listed below have been .049 powered, so my point from this list is that the .061 will be more than enough if you can keep the little Shoestring around 14-16 oz's (if I remember the 18 ounce figure is for the electric version of that plane)

Spider- 240+ square inches, fairly thick flying wing, 10 ozs-hauls

GLH-200 square inches, fairly thick airfoil, 16 ozs--- hauls butt

Caliente- 165 squares, thin airfoil, 12 ozs--- really hauls butt

I have heard that that kit is a great one. You oughtta consider modifying it to look like one of the super modified Shoestrings that are flying at Reno right now like Nemesis(I think it is Shoestring based...

Get it done before SMALL, I would really like to see it. I love the Shoestring!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	65772_1630.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	40218  
Old 03-26-2003, 08:30 AM
fastlash
My Feedback: (7)

Default 074

Digger I would go with the 061, fast planes are fun but they only do a few things good, like go fast and roll fast, a plane that is powered right and is built lite will not leave you board after doing the fast pass thing,if you just want to go fast get a dom 200 and put your 074 on that, the o61 would be more than enough,now if it was a cox well the........and does that weight figure include a throttle servo and the linkage plus and internal tank????
Old 03-26-2003, 01:42 PM
2fast4u
My Feedback: (5)

My question is this....Do you have a throttle stick on your radio??

Then the answer is simple.... .074!!!!

Not enough power will leave you feeling empty and cheap. You will find yourself wanting to sell your little "problem child" to get something else. BUT!!!!! Too much power can always be controled to give you that "Oh my goodness" feeling. You aint got a hair on your ***** if you don't push the envelope and go with the .074. IT'S A RACER FOR CRYIN OUT LOUD!!!

That is all.
Old 03-26-2003, 02:08 PM
Digger-RCU

2fast,
You crack me up! You have certainly put things into perspective!

How about this guys, I will Put blind nuts in the firewall for both mounts. That way I can change the two engines out and give y'all a report.

Despite 2 fast's empassioned post:devious: I think the 061 is going to be the way to go. I will try the 074, because I feel i still have a hair or two on my *****. Thank you very much!

Randy (Digger) Birt
Old 03-26-2003, 04:15 PM
LoneRanger

Digger, good idea for additional blind nuts,

I have more than 2 hairs on my ass so can I fly it?

hehe LOL

L.R.
Old 03-30-2003, 04:41 PM
OMPEdgeFlyer

OHHH YEAH, go with the 074, I have one on my 16 ounce hornet. It screams, and with low throws is very manageble.
Old 03-30-2003, 05:01 PM
wild fred
My Feedback: (3)

I have fond memories of the hornet, and was flying a plane a while back loosely based on it, it had unlimited vert. w/ 074 and 7-3 m.a.s. a whole lotta fun!
Old 04-05-2003, 03:35 AM
OMPEdgeFlyer

Wild Fred,

I am currently working on a twin powered Hornet(push/pull set up) with twin profile booms. our local police will radar for us at the local park and i wanna see how fast i can go. I plan on it being pretty much the same plane as a reguler 049 size hornet with the motors cowled in and no control horns showing(torq rod set up for ailerons and a pully system that will run down the center of the built up sections of the twin booms for the elevator. Even gonna use 1 feul tank, gotta save that weight.

I tried a canard hornet, so I could have a pointed front end and no prop wash off the fuse to see if I could get alot faster, but I didnt like the way it flew. Might have been the flat bottom air foil. While I am thinking about it, do you think I would go faster if I made a symetrical foil, or just leave it as is?
Old 04-05-2003, 04:09 AM
AndyW

Yes, make your new Hornet with a thin, symmetrical section. Flat bottom foils are for hauling freight, not going fast. Lots of 1/2A designs have flat bottom foils for no other reason than that's the way it's always been done. With light equipment and strong motors, there's no need for lotsa lift.